1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keyword Desnity For Adsense

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by Bud Wiser, Sep 27, 2005.

Any one experiment with what the best kw density should be to get the ads you target? Is too much kw density bad? Thx.

Bud Wiser, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  2. raz

raz Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Bud,

We meet again!

I use around 200 words with a 4% density on a site that manages to display very targeted ads, and consequently produces really high CTR and a very handsome low three digit eCPM.

In my case it was a little harder to get it right because I am fighting against my own URL!

In other words:

Site’s URL contains Blue Widgets, which is what the site if optimized for, however once my visitors read about the blue widgets the next logical step is to find out about Low Flying Blue Widgets, which is what the page is optimized to display AdWords.

AdSence tries to display ads relevant to Blue Widgets, so my task was to optimize the page heavily so that AdSence will display Low Flying Blue Widgets.

I hope you see what I mean; it’s kind of hard to explain without giving the shop away!

In my opinion this is the only way to make money in AdSense. Find the secondary round about ways that people search, serve that need properly then send to a page that contains information very closely associated with it, which contains AdWords that are about what the search should have been in the first place….

raz

raz, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  3. Bud Wiser

Bud Wiser Peon

Best Answers:
    Yet another forum that you have given me sound advise again. Thanks!

4. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    raz... I understand what you are saying... however, with a topic like mine it is difficult to generate anything but Elvis Wedding and Elvis Impersonator ads... LOL

Please, can anyone here offer me other (higher paying) keywords (no not cancer or debt consolidation ads) but something surrounding my general topic... I get great traffic from mainly the baby-boomer generation...

It seems I am at a loss to "think outside my little Elvis square"

All suggestions will be most welcome....

ElvisFan, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  5. Bud Wiser

Bud Wiser Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not try Lock Ness Monster, Big Foot, or Hanger 18? I understand that there are equally profitable markets in each ; )

( I actually have a friend who is a professional Elvis Impersonator, he does a very convincing late 70's Elvis)

6. raz

raz Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you, but I am sure I learnt a lot from you than you from me. So the complement is on you Bud.:)
    raz

raz, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  7. raz

raz Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Elvis Fan,

I don’t know what keywords will pay high that are directly Elvis related, but one thing is for sure; your visitors are Elvis fans and Elvis fans are Rock and Country fans right? And what’s more Rock and Country fans go to concerts and buy CDs.
    How about having short (100-125 character or so) link texts to concerts or newly released CDs leading to a page of information about those CDs or concerts where you also display AdWords?

Now remember, I have never though about a music site. This is the first time for me but you are obviously a fan yourself, and if you keep thinking about concepts like that then ideas will come to you.

Hope this helps.

raz

raz, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  8. AbdullahFarouk

AbdullahFarouk Peon

Best Answers:
    Elvis Fan, maybe try to make pages about various things related to Elvis and that whole genre like: 50s + 60s music, country music, gospel music, Graceland, Stax records, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, 1950s nostalgia, celebrity impersonators, Elvis collectibles, elvis memorabilia, etc..

AbdullahFarouk, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  9. Bud Wiser

Bud Wiser Peon

Best Answers:
    Elvis Fan, I have a real suggestion, I happen to know Elvis collectables are hot. Worth a try!

10. jiminoc

jiminoc Peon

Best Answers:
    where do you go to get your keyword density percentage? is there a certain percentage you look to achieve?

jiminoc, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  11. raz

raz Peon

Best Answers:
    You can only experiment. I go for 4% but not from the get go. I kind of work my way up there. The problem is, it could take anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks for the change to take effect.

To complicate matters a change may take effect very quickly within a few hours only to return to the original in a day or two! So you need to monitor it carefully.

Also, in my opinion the mediapartners bot prefers to “see” a couple of keyphrases so I always target say “striped blue widgets” 2.5%, “blue widgets” by itself around 3.5% and 1% or so of “blue striped widgets” while all the time target is really “blue widgets”.

Note that the above densities are not cumulative. Total “blue widgets” density never exceeds 4%

raz

raz, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  12. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay guys... thanks for your imput... however, it seems like none of you took the trouble to visit my site... as you would have noticed that I have covered most of the keywords you have suggested...

My site ranks number one under Elvis collectables...

Come on guys... put on your thinking caps...

I'm listening...

ElvisFan, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  13. raz

raz Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not sure if you actually paid attention to what I said!:confused: No I don’t see anything similar to what I am suggesting. And Yes I had seen the site.
    The keywords that matter to mediapartners bot are different than the ones that matter to google bot!
    You see, mediapartners bot knows Elvis is dead! :eek: You are getting ads about wills! Do get it? Wills and living trusts…
    As for the site itself, you need to go to another forum and clean up :eek: the design and the structure. What on earth possessed you to get every page to open into a new browser? But that’s not for this forum.
    My two cents worth.;)
    raz

raz, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  14. scott.symbiotic.com

scott.symbiotic.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I use the keyword density of the top ten sites in the SERP for the "keyword" I want it usually hovers around 3.2% to 4.5% but I have seen 2.9% and over 6%.

scott.symbiotic.com, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  15. Bud Wiser

Bud Wiser Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting site, I just visited it. I think you can optimize for adsense a lot better! I would suggest doing that first. By doing so you would in effect be redisigning your site which certaainly has great potentials for adsense. I don't like the way you have the ads right now. I also don't like each page opening up a new browser. The only time you should do that is for a full size picture, and then have it on a html page with you guessed it, more ads. i don't believe you are fully optimized to target all the Elvis KW's for adsense. I hope you paid attention to Raz and others who talked about what keyword density should be used to bring out the target ads we want. This was the reason I asked what percentage others are using. Your page is a great Elvis page, and with a little tweaking, it can also be optimized for adsense. I realize your page was not created to fully take advantage of adsense, which may have been an after thought. That's fine, but I think you'll find there is room for a little improvement with out sacraficing your main layout and content.

I have two main types of sites,

Content sites optimized for SE's: here the content is the priority, ads are not as big a concern but used. Still I try to do the best I can with the ads without taking away from the content design.

Ad sites optimized for the ads: here the ads are the priority, content not a concern, everything is created and optimized around my targeted ads. Content is only used sparingly to generate the targeted ads which also produces ad optimized seo.

You need to decide what your priority is and optimize around that.

Bud Wiser, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  16. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks... as I rarely visit my own site ... I didn't realise that my pages where set to open in a new browser ... thanks for pointing that out... I have since changed that to only open in new browser if visitors are going to another site...

ElvisFan, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  17. piro0025

piro0025 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks raz.. Your idea is good for me.

piro0025, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  18. revenow

revenow Peon

Best Answers:
    Generally I go for 4%-7%, trying to keep it closer to the first number. I've found that's a good range for AdSense and basic SEO.

revenow, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  19. unknownseo

unknownseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you target 4% for the whole page (links, menus, articles, etc) or just the body?

unknownseo, Oct 6, 2005 IP
  20. MichaelD

MichaelD Guest

Best Answers:
    Change that. You should visit your site more often, because it allows you to see what kind of ads are targeted at your pages. Also visit your site as if you're not the owner. Ask yourself as a visitor which ads you want to see as an Elvis fan. Clear your mind, put yourself in the shoes of the one who visits your site. That did wonders for my site.

Also understand that the knife cuts on both sides. The way you optimize your web site to get high rankings in search engines, might not be the proper way to get higher Adsense rankings. So, yes, you're in a catch-22. In my case it's easy; I get 90%+ of my traffic from other sites, so I can allow myself to lose some rating. Somewhere you have to make a choice. Personally I like it more to make $1,500 a month and have 80% less search engine traffic than making $300 a month and be on top of the list, after all it's non-profit site that I run (except for adsense that is ;) ).

MichaelD, Oct 6, 2005 IP