1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ethical Bid Directories ... Rulz of conduct!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by rtchar, Apr 16, 2007.

I think this got lost in the original thread ... apparently it needs restating!

Originally Posted by malcolm1
    Offenders can be pointed here --- or pointed out here :eek:

rtchar, Apr 16, 2007 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  2. iPod

iPod Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good rulz. Strictly to be followed and much recommended. :)

Thanks rtchar and Malcolm :)

I'm following them on bidwebdir.com ;) Ahh...i mean i will follow that

iPod, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  3. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    They are really just common sense ...

Bid directories are a long term investment, the more you promote your site the more valuable links become. So people will pay more to be listed. But only after you have put in the effort.

The QBCs want money for doing nothing and they want it now! So we are likely to see some attempting to scam "our" supporters.
    At the very least we should not help them.

Alang's list of Strongest bid for position directories is very helpful to find the best supported directories. Wish there was more analysis we could use.

Is this the only criteria for being added to the list? I was hoping for some additions or comments. :)

rtchar, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  4. bukan

bukan Banned

Best Answers:
    I am following the rules to the letter, should be fixed rules for all link bid owners.

bukan, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  5. wamchu

wamchu Peon

Best Answers:
    How about some peoople offering by 1 listing get 2 free. Or buy a listing in directory X and I will give free listing in bid directory and so on...

wamchu, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  6. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    That would be covered under Rule #3

Glad to see someone else is thinking about how to keep it clean. :)

rtchar, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  7. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    how about a rule where you dont convert phpld into phplb? .... do i smell seodollar?

aspidov, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  8. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Great thread,rtchar!
    I realized that some directory owners don't bid on their own sites but on other sites,I think it can be an addition?

Richie_Ni, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  9. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That's a good suggestion!

And what about those sites on expired domains?

Richie_Ni, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  10. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    2. No tag team action ...

rtchar, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  11. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    There are already a couple of directories that have converted ... there is already an unwritten rule about deleting paid links ... free directories are a bit of a gray area though. :)

Lots of directories are created on expired domains ... they are obvious when there is no internal page-rank. People tend to wait and see if they can carry the PR through the next update ... just like paid directories. :)

Keep them coming ... I am sure there are auction rules we haven't thought of yet. :eek:

rtchar, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Expired domains, you take a chance, the domain/site may catch on and get Google's love, it may not.

Offering incentives to give someone an extra free listing somewhere else is not something that I see as cheating in any form. People do it all the time. As long as you don't give a free listing in that bidding directories stating that there is a bid of $xxx when there isn't any money spent on that listing, that is something totally different. But people give incentives all the time for people to submit to their directories. Just because there are so many people here playing games, doesn't mean we should go overboard and tell others that they cannot give someone something else in addition out of appreciation for submission.

Referring to a comment made over here. Would like to get other people's input regarding the offer of something in addition to a listing.

- Mike

Blogmaster, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  13. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Generally, I don't like people selling links on expired domains, but if they are promoting well, I don't mind at all. I just don't like those who sell links on PR5 expired domain with NO promotion going on behind.

I don't see any problem with what Mike is doing IMO. It all depends on the submitters who decide the value.

coolsitez, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  14. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    Giving a free $10 listing in another directory for a $10 bid is artificial inflation of bid amounts. Are they bidding on your directory or buying a link and getting the bid for free?

If I give away a free house with every $200,000 bid does that really mean my directory is more valuable than yours?

Nobody can make directory owners comply with these rulz ... but others may be willing to point that out when promoting their directories over yours. :eek:

I am also sure that bidders will be looking to directories they can TRUST.

rtchar, Apr 24, 2007 IP
    enQuira likes this.
  15. coolsitez

Best Answers:
    may be the word "bid" is confusing something. How about "buying a link for a special offer"?

There may be other things to discuss, but ultimately we need someone to check on every bidder, making sure all are from others with real bid? Is that your goal?

16. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    That is what this thread is about, discussing what is acceptable and honest. :)

I have noticed that bid directory owners are working together to promote the concept as well as each other. Those owners will decide who to support based on their honesty and integrity as well as their marketing skills.

Let the market determine the value of your links. Have some faith in the concept and your own abilities!

Artificially inflating the value of links does not help anyone. Bids will be based on the value of promotion and popularity ... not some meaningless number posted on your home page! :)

Every bid for position directory is simply an auction. And every auction from Sotheby's to eBay has rules for acceptable behavior...

rtchar, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  17. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Definitely agree on that, but not sure where I come in since I don't require someone to outbid anyone on my homepage in order to get a free deal.

Blogmaster, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  18. coolsitez

Best Answers:
    right. If not outbid, one shouldn't feel the bid was artificially placed. ;)

I offered mine for free, and the bid for free ones were only $1 (the minimum). I don't think people felt they were tricked in any way. If I did with $5 or more to influence significantly on the positions of submitted links, I can see the problem.

Chris put his links (about $30 bid), so what about that incident? The fact is his link bids are low enough not to influence on other links' positions at all.

19. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey ... I am just the noob around here. It is not my place to say who is trustworthy. That will be decided by each person when the time comes to buy links. BTW --- I am not running for directory cop ... and I don't want the job. :)

Lets face it $1 bids are cheap on any site even with minimal promotion! What does it say about your directory if you have to give them away. :eek:

It is wrong because it is not fair to the cash paying customers when they get pushed down to page 2 or 3, if they don't out bid the $10 free links on the first page. That is artificial bid inflation.

Personally I am waiting for the PR update that everyone swears is just around the corner. Let Google sort it out, then I will swoop in for some cheap links, in time for the next update.

That is the beauty of bid for position ... it doesn't matter when you arrive at this party. :eek:

rtchar, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  20. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    True, it doesn´t matter when you get to the party, but which girl you go home with :p

Blogmaster, Apr 30, 2007 IP