1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MSN algo change

Discussion in 'Bing' started by larysmith711, Sep 24, 2005.

It looks like MSN had an algo (tweak) change within the last 24 hours. I had some sites that had been #1 for 6 months.... and now they have slipped.

What's funny is I have a new site with 4 backlinks show up in a competitive KW.

Anyone else notice this????

What changed in the last 24 hours????

How can a site with 4 backlinks get to the top half of the first page???? :confused:

larysmith711, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  2. sivko23

sivko23 Peon

Best Answers:
    All of my sites , many in top 5 have dropped like 20-50 positions down.
    I m wondering what kind of change this is, seems like onpage factors now have much greater importance then before. Anybody knows?

sivko23, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  3. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    I've seen this before. In fact, I saw it briefly last week before it bounced back again. I wouldn't be too concerned, I'm yet to see these sorts of results stick.

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I had a #1 spot at MSN for a long time. I got greedy and added an extra keyword to my title, and dropped like a rock. Today, after a few months waiting and struggling, I finally got back to #1.

I don't know what they did, but I am so glad! :D

fryman, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  5. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I still haven't put my finger on it yet but the site I was talking about with 5 links is actually 3 external links and the others are from the site itself.

How can I rank #6 for a decent KW with only 3 links? Are they giving more weight to certain links??? :confused:

Maybe I will wait a few days then try to figure it out.

larysmith711, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  6. programmer

programmer Guest

Best Answers:
    i still trying to get good rank in msn. nothing change for me on msn

programmer, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  7. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    ya i've been watching one of my sites very closely on msn over the past several weeks.

Last night it droped like a rock :(

We'll see what happens in the next few days i guess

web-rover, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  8. eiso

eiso Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm currently not noticing any change to my sites in the MSN SERP's.

eiso, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  9. sgtsloth

sgtsloth Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a site at #1 drop to #4 today after a good month at the top. The keyword tracker is still showing #1 though... maybe that's a good sign :eek:

sgtsloth, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  10. lixor

lixor Active Member

Best Answers:
    @smindsrt same here. i'm on the first page from 2 and 4 millions results with 2 new subdomains linked only by the main domain. few days ago i changed the "TITLE" attribute of one of them, on the home page, totally different words, and guess what, yesterday i ranked first for these new keyphrase from 4 millions results.
    i heard that msn likes new sites, but after a while they drop in serp. i hope not. :)

lixor, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  11. webmistress

webmistress Guest

Best Answers:
    There's indeed been a very "light" change in the MSN algo just after the "yahoo fart" yesterday. I fell 3 places for a very competitive keyword i was ranked #1 for more than a year now. I don't think it's the final algo though, the msn serps are still very dynamic and i'm still #1 when i use a U.S. ip to search. Yup, i'm in mauritius right now (1 year vacations hehehe) :p

webmistress, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  12. andy_boyd

andy_boyd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, seeing a drop in placement of about 20. Knowing the way MSN work this will probably (hopefully) be temporary as their SERPs seem to be fluctuating wildly on a daily basis anyway.

On a positive note I have not seen any change in the UK SERPs I monitor. Given that MSN have been widely criticised for their poor geo-targeted results (US sites in UK SERPs & vice versa) this update may be an attempt to straighten out the problem.

What do you think?

andy_boyd, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  13. Mr. Thrifty

Mr. Thrifty Guest

Best Answers:
    I have not really noticed a change in MSN. I get the usual thing where my site will go from #1 on a keyword phrase to completely dropping out only to bounce back a day later.

Mr. Thrifty, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  14. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    I dropped from #1 to #81 on one of my primary keywords last night. Yikes. It almost seems to me like they have increased a new site penalty because all of my sites that are less than about nine months old took a huge hit last night while all of my sites that are a year or more old received a little boost.

tflight, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  15. Jim_Westergren

Jim_Westergren Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I saw the change too 1 or 2 days ago. I ranked on number 5 or something on a turkish word for game because I had that word as anchor text sitewide on a huge turkish site. That brought me about 100 uniques a day but now I cannot find it anymore in the SERPs.

So I guess they changed something in the algo about links weight and anchor text or something of the like.

Jim_Westergren, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  16. elkiwi

elkiwi Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was number 1 and 2 for 2 keyphrases and today i've dissapeared completely. Bit of a bummer coz that was main source of traffic.

elkiwi, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  17. lixor

lixor Active Member

Best Answers:
    two hours ago i wrote
    now i'm not anymore in the first 10 pages. so i was first for about 30-40 hours. :(
    i don't want to talk about my other sites doing well in msn, maybe is bad luck

lixor, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  18. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Glad to see I am not the only one.. I one site that was #4 and then yesterday it dropped to 12 and now it is not showing up in top 1000.

I have a bunch of other sites that also disappeared out of the top 200.

Not sure what is going on...

aeiouy, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  19. webmistress

webmistress Guest

Best Answers:
    All my competitors for this year dissapeared too. I have powerful links from authority sites that point to me (i think this is why i'm still present), and yet i've fallen 5 places now. I'm going down under with this new change. 15 of my sites have totally dissapeared and not present in the msn serps...if this reassures you lol. don't worry, it will be back soon :)

webmistress, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  20. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    My only issue is I made a few minor changes.. to description and one other change on one site.... and I am waffling on whether or not to revert.

My other sites haven't had any changes in last few days so don't know...

aeiouy, Sep 25, 2005 IP