1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

my exprience about keeping google serp position

Discussion in 'Google' started by trichnosis, Apr 12, 2007.

Hi;

I am hate hearing from webmasters questions like "Why my positions dropped in 1 day?" or "I have lost x visitors in 1 day?" . Most of them believe that their website was punished for something but mostly their web site did not punished when their serp point has dropped.

In most cases, positions drop happen because Google change algoritm and change values of links, pagerank, content, and other factors. It mean, that google never punished your site, your site became a victim of changes which Google (or other search engine) maid to improve results.

How to protect:

Once you got good positions and traffic, you should go back and analyze how you promoted your site.

For example.

1) You submitted your site in 500 or 1500 directories and wrote many articles. In this case you can drop if Google will decide to decrease value of directory links.

In this case change your stategy and avoid future directories submission, get some links from forums, find bloggers to link your site, exchange some links, get highter pr links, find content links etc...

2) You bought many links from hight Pagerank sites and they mostly located in the footer, or with other sponsored links. You can drop if Google will decide to decrease pr value a little and concentrate on content and anchor.

In this case, do some directories submission, article, forums, bloggers etc....

Remember... to avoid drops, you should have all types of links with different anchor from different sites.

Thanks

trichnosis, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  2. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good stuff but I don't think it could really explain why in the past month my site has dropped 3 times from #3 to around 50 something and back again in a few days :confused:

m0rtal, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  3. Anita

Anita Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes this is caused by backlinks from news sites and blogs. For example, the site in my sig would jump from the second page to #1 or #2 for a couple terms depending on whether or not a blog would link to it. While the linked in article was still on the front page, #1/#2 position, as it moved to the archive, #18-#20.

I never really focused on it (Google only made up about 500 uniques/day or 5% of traffic), just noticed it while checking incoming visits in awstats. I'm guessing that something similar is happening for you ...

Anita :)

Anita, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  4. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

Thats called a meta / data refresh :)

sundaybrew, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  5. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alot of times its from people changing their own content and thinking it wont affect their rank.

ninjashoes, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  6. maleenhancement

maleenhancement Peon

Best Answers:
    Google now Sucks! Period.

maleenhancement, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  7. Swirleigh

Swirleigh Active Member

Best Answers:
    But what if you did all of the above? It's usually hard to tell what causes anything.
    Analyze, Tweak, Wait, Analyze, Tweak, Wait, Repeat. . . forever.

Swirleigh, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  8. grg

grg Guest

Best Answers:

But is now everything ok? So you should be happy, why are you so confused? :)

grg, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  9. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No everything is not ok but I'm sure it will be within a day or two. I'm not confused just that the above doesn't really apply.

m0rtal, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  10. Janna122003

Janna122003 Banned

Best Answers:
    webmastes must not bother themselves if their position were gone in just 1 day. That's very normal to google and will come back again as long as you properly optimized the contents of your site and you're continuing your link building.

Janna122003, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  11. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personally, I feel that the fluctuation depends on the article submissions so far.. at least based on my personal experience..

My article often appear on the front page of most article directories and these helps a great deal in boosting my site to page 1 of Google query but when my article is moved to the archive, my ranking dropped (when the bots visit the article directories later).

KC TAN, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  12. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    Trich good post and based on SEO common sense about not putting all eggs in one basket. We all can loose focus when we decid to go for the dangling carrot or the fruit on the lowest branches. As usual your posts are always appreciated insightful and have value. :D

reapr, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  13. tracks

tracks Peon

Best Answers:
    Good info!

tracks, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  14. seoeye

seoeye Banned

Best Answers:
    good information but i want to add some thing to it.
    Some time what happen our site's home page size increases and crawler take more time to crawl that page so it will run away it page more time to download.
    there are lots of small small factor affecting for ranking,some times we think that our back links are ok but some webmaster remove links without knowing us and by this way link count decreases which affect the ranking.

seoeye, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  15. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That would be Google having PMS :D

ly2, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  16. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This time around it seems that PMS is going to last a little longer :mad:

m0rtal, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  17. Jimmy116

Jimmy116 Guest

Best Answers:
    Is there a way to appeal on Google penalty? I have a myspace site that I am quite sure a penalty had been imposed. It used to be in 2nd page of a very competative myspace keyword "myspace layouts", but now it is on the 80th page.

Jimmy116, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  18. topherjknoll

topherjknoll Peon

Best Answers:
    Our site is experiencing a similar problem. It's very strange. Sometimes it will ranks second or third for a keyword and others it will rank at the very bottom as if it were penalized. I don't think it's penalized because we adhere to the Webmaster Guidelines, but why would it change so drastically and so often? It changes, usually, every other day.

topherjknoll, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  19. ichigo

ichigo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    today my blog rank no. 4. it was no. 2 for the past moneths. im hoping it wont go down deep :(

ichigo, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  20. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Similar thing here, was #4 for "pimp myspace" for the longest time and now I'm page 7-8...I've experienced this before and the longest it's lasted was 2 weeks. I'm gonna give it another week or so before I really start panicking.

m0rtal, Apr 16, 2007 IP