1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Calling for help from business owners from the UK!

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by xml, Sep 3, 2004.

Hi,

I need help with some advertising thingy I stupidly accepted. This was over the phone, for an advert in a yearly planner (profits go to the child research fund).

The cost was £230 ($420).

What happened was I got into trouble finically and the £230 is a big deal to me, so I emailed to cancel it, and said I would give £25 to the fund for good will.

There was no reply so I phoned them, the women on the other side of the phone said it was OK and cancelled it for me.

Now after a month I've got the advert in the post with a bill of £230!!!

I've emailed again and tried to phone them (no answer).

Obviously they can't expect me to pay right? Are there laws in the UK were its legally binding contract if I agree over the phone?

I have the email saved in my sent items folder, will this help my case?

I know like this might not sound like a big deal, but I’m an 18 year old kid tryna get a business started, and this effects me more than you can believe :(.

Thanks in advance!

MG

xml, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Send it back with a copy of your e-mail, leave your contact details and ask them to ting you, but you ring them. Just don't pay. They agreed and put the ad in against your will. Did you sign anything to confirm the ad should go in?

Keep trying to get in touch.

T0PS3O, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  3. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply.

No I've signed nothing, just agreed over the phone. I've kept tryna ring them but they're not answering.

Heres a copy of the email I sent them:

What annoys me most is the fact I was willing to donate £25 even without the frickin advert being shown!

Thanks again,
    MG

xml, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    If nothing is signed, and you both just agreed by phone (you to initially have the ad, she to cancel it) + you have this e-mail; I don't think they have anything legally to go by. They just did you a silly favour and got you free advertising.

I wouldn't worry about it. It is not your problem there is an unpaid for ad. It sounds the same like I build someone a garage when they are on holiday, then ask money for it when they get back, saying it looks nice and benefits them.

T0PS3O, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    What I forgot to ask and is not clear: Have you paid the £200 or not? Do you want a refund or are you worried about the invoice?

T0PS3O, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  6. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    [you are probably dealing with a promoter that gets a commish]

Contact the charity directly - they will return your call or email and be very concerned about ensuring the right thing is done (fair treatment - your money back / purchase cancelled etc).

Dominic, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  7. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    No money has exchanged hands. I just recevied and invoice this morning. This is so major for me because I'm already in a financial "situation" so this nearly gave me heart attack. :(

I'm a bit dissapointed they've caused this issue because I had said I would send em £25 without the advert, its a win-win situation for them then, they get £25 AND lose no ad space.

xml, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    They can not make you pay afterwards for what you didn't and do not want. Just send it back with a short explanation and contact details and indeed, keep ringing after that. Once something is on paper, things get for real so do write back then discuss.

If you are still scared, look at it this way. They have no proof you wanted it because you didn't sign for it. Even if they monitored your call you can still say you canceled it. Don't worry, you'll be fine. Send them the 25 quid anyway if it makes you feel better (would be nice since it is a charity, i wouldn't have bothered if it was commercial). You promised/offered that in the first place, might as well stick with it.

T0PS3O, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  9. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry Tops your wrong on this. Under European and Uk law a verbal contract is as good as a written one. If I make an offer, and you accept it then we have a valid legally binding contract. It is called offer and accepptance.

That said, it depends on the delay in your cancelling, as to if it is fair and reasonable. If they rang you today, and you immediately rang back and said that you had changed your mind after some thought, then it would not be fair and reasonable for them to hold you to the contract. If however you left it some time, and they had already sold all the spots, and were well on the way to producing the goods, then it would be fair and reasonable for them to seek recompence in the form of the whole amount agreed.

Lastly, you have not been dealing with a charity, you have been dealing with a company who are making money on the back of the charity. Often times the salesman will get 30-50% and the charity can get as little as 5% of the actual value of the sales.

You are in a hole, and you need to take legal advice PDQ. That said, if you can't pay, then you can agree to pay it at £10 a month.

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  10. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    :(

I'll have to seriously get on the case on Monday then :mad:.

xml, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  11. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    To: Old Welsh Guy

Thanks for the information regarding the matter. But I'm a bit mythed.

Under what terms and conditions was the verbal contract made? I sure as hell never agreed to anything legally binding, I received no terms and was not read any via the phone.

It was a simple: "Would you please advertise in the CRF year planner for £230?", "Yes, Goodbye."

Surely contracts vary for each situation, so therefore there must be a generic set of terms and conditions which apply when further information regarding terms has not been made available for it to be legally binding?

I have received no such T&C, so I assume the generic verbal contract terms apply (whatever they may be)?

But IF this is true (I'm not doubting you, infact its probably true, it just DOESN'T make sense!) then surely I could easily become rich beyond my wildest dreams by acquire the telephone numbers of a number of several elderly people, naive people over 16 etc, which I could then phone (recorded call) and say "Please say YES if you agree to pay me 1 trillion dollars", in the off chance someone is naive or silly enough to say yes I would be owed $1000 000 000 000.

As you can see this system is truly flawed.

xml, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  12. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hang on the laws of selling to business are completely different to the distance selling to individuals, under those terms they have an automatic cooling off period. Business to business sales do not. It all rests on what is fair and reasonable.

They made you an offer, you accepted it. Offer and acceptance are the two main elements of a verbal contract.
    read the first one, it actually names this hole you have fallen into.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/herefordshire/busi16.htm

http://www.thisismoney.com/20030117/sb58003.html

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but We used to sell about £20,000 of advertising a week over the phone, and ended up taking people to court on a daily basis. This was for a newspaper though that was all above board.

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  13. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok thanks for the info!

But what agreements on payment were made? E.g. should I be expected to pay the full price in one lump sum, I can't see this being the case. I will only agree to what you previously said about paying £10 per month.

Isn't cold-calling breaking the law in the UK? I hadn't asked for them to call me :mad:.

Its really sad because now if something else like this happens and is for a legit cause I will 100% say NO. The goverment should crack down on this crap, because it sure isn't going to help the charities.

xml, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  14. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    OWG is spot on!

A lesson learnt XML, don't buy a service or product unless you can afford to pay for that service or product.

Don't worry about it - we've all been there as business owners, just learn from the lesson, it'll make you and your business stronger.

Darren :)

DarrenC, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  15. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol in that way you are 100% correct.

However if I ever aquire any financial power I'll make it a priority to take these arseholes DOWN BIGTIME.

xml, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  16. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    On my Companies House documents I had stated I had not begun trading as XMLSoft Ltd. yet. Will this help me?

I also have a sent email stored which could be classed as evidence. I telephoned them and had them agree to cancelling. So I will throw these facts at them first before I even think about paying.

If I do have to pay... (I know this may sound childish but...) I looked at the SERPS for their company name and looks EASY to get numero uno placement in Google. So I guess I might resort to gorilla tactics and post my incident publically and SEO for their company name.

xml, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  17. Penelope

Penelope Peon

Best Answers:
    To XML
    I've been searching the net as my son has been cold-called by CRF to the tune of £495. You are the only person I have come across so far to mention their name. What was the outcome of your situation last year? They quite helpfully sent my son a year planner so I am working my way through it telephoning the people... it follow a very definite pattern. If you know anything interesting - can you let me know? I don't see why ordinary, decent people should be targetted by these vile people. Tks ever so.
    Penelope

Penelope, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  18. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I lost track of this thread and see now I was wrong to an extent indeed.

However, just to recap, if this line is a legally binding contract:

Than surely, within reasonable time, this line is as legally binding and final:

Yes or no?

T0PS3O, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  19. Penelope

Penelope Peon

Best Answers:
    How do I think I did? I have a lot to learn... about forums..

I'll keep taking the vitamins in the meantime, while calling Trading Standards on Monday.

Tks
    Penelope

Penelope, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  20. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    check this out....
    there may be some small print in there you can use
    http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

cold calling residential numbers is outlawed but you have to register
    (i have, and the 99% of the calls stopped)
    now i just say
    "tell me your company details, i am going to prosecute you"
    and they hang up :D

Solicitors Mortgages, Apr 23, 2005 IP