1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using a sport league name in a domain

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by i30, Sep 7, 2005.

I didn't see this posted anywhere, and I was wondering myself...

If I were to start an affiliate site (so the purpose of the site IS to make money) for sports apparel, would I be fine getting a domain like NFLjerseys.com or MLBhats.com or NBAshirts.com or would the leagues get mad and make me take the site down/sue.

The reason I think it may be okay is that they end up profiting themselves. Not only do they get some good PR by having their stuff advertised, but they also make money off the liscencing and stuff.

What do you think?

i30, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  2. WPH

WPH Guest

Best Answers:
    I used to run a fan site for an English soccer team called Sunderland. I called it SAFC-UK and proceeded to build up a big following. One day the contacted me and told me to take down all club logos. I had the club badge on the homepage of my site. I was nto profiting from this and only increasing awareness of the club. But they could only ask me to remove the logo as it was trademarked. Legally I covered myself by using a disclaimer and this is th ekey. On the homepage you need to make sure you put a note saying you are not connected to the NFL (etc) in anyway, and all the thoughts and views on your site are that of your own and in no way supported by them. You are then covered for most things.

WPH, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  3. SharkSpace

SharkSpace Peon

Best Answers:
    It shouldn't be a problem. They see it as free advertising. Make sure not to use their logo as part of yours.

SharkSpace, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  4. i30

i30 Guest

Best Answers:
    Ahh, I really like the disclaimer idea.

Has anyone done something like this before? How did you word it?

Basically I want to say, all images and logos belong to the """ bla bla bla. But they wouldn't all belong to them, as they would belong to the affiliate for the most part, wouldn't they?

i30, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  5. briandunning

briandunning Active Member

Best Answers:
    NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. are totally off-limits. People have to pay top dollar licensing fees to use those names. Their legal beagles will absolutely sit on you once they find out about it. :(

They do NOT see it as free advertising. They see it as theft of their IP. From the NFL web site: "NFL Enterprises LLC. NFL and the NFL shield design are registered trademarks of the National Football League."

"All rights in the product names, company names, trade names, logos, product packaging and designs of all the NFL PARTNERS or third-party products or services, whether or not appearing in large print or with the trademark symbol, belong exclusively to the NFL PARTNERS, as applicable, or their respective owners, and are protected from reproduction, imitation, dilution or confusing or misleading uses under national and international trademark and copyright laws, as applicable. The use or misuse of these trademarks or any materials, except as permitted herein, is expressly prohibited and nothing stated or implied on this Service confers on you any license or right under any patent, copyright or trademark of the NFL PARTNERS or any third party."

You'll find similar language with MLB, NBA, et. al.

briandunning, Sep 10, 2005 IP
    i30 likes this.
  6. i30

i30 Guest

Best Answers:
    Wow, that changes things a lot. Too bad I wasted $10 for a domain. Oh, well.

Now I'm just gonna get a similar domain like footballshirts.com or whatever is available, because that should be fine.

i30, Sep 10, 2005 IP