1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to cancel private registation for godaddy renewal?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by murph, Mar 18, 2007.

I can't for the life of me see how to cancel the private registration from the godaddy cart when renewing a domain...there is no option to cancel it and it wants to charge me $8.95 extra...something i'm really not interested in!

Anyone point it out to me?

murph, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  2. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you can't find the solution, write to them. GoDaddy is quite responsive. They are also good at making you jump through hoops while looking for things ;)

eddy2099, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  3. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thats typical Godaddy, trying to trick you to buy things you don`t want, suckers.

login, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  4. murph

murph Peon

Best Answers:
    guess i'll have to contact them...

murph, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  5. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can remove it from the list of domains page. At least you could.

Colbyt, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  6. cobes

cobes Guest

Best Answers:
    Just a warning for unsuspecting customers. I registered about 20 domain names this time last year. Here's what you MUST watch so you don't have the SAME problems I am having right now.

When you register a domain with GoDaddy, I STRONGLY recommend that you do NOT take the "private" registration even though it is free for the first year!!

I took it with ALL of my domains and when it comes time to renew your domains, it will now cost you about $9 to continue the privacy in addition to the $8.95 for the renewal.

Now here's the catch. When you want to remove the privacy from your renewal, you can't do that in the GoDaddy account manager. You MUST login with Domains By Proxy and here's the problem I'm having. They NEVER sent the confirmation email containing the login details that you NEED to be able to login to remove the privacy from your domain.

So, you are NOT able to VERIFY your identity!! I have been back and forth with GoDaddy and Domains By Proxy for the past 3 days trying to give them everything they could possibly need to verify my identity.

I've faxed them my drivers license WITH my PHOTO ID, a copy of my sales confirmation email from GoDaddy and so far that's NOT enough???!!!

The point here is they will make you jump through hoops to prove you are the VALID owner of the domain just so you can remove the privacy charge.

Now get this, GoDaddy OWNS Domains By Proxy! They SHARE the SAME fax number but when you need support, GoDaddy can't help you with your problem. It would seem reasonable that GoDaddy and Domains By Proxy SHOULD have a BETTER working relationship regarding customer identity validation.

I have actually been a satisfied customer with GoDaddy for about 5+ years and overall I think they are a good company IF you ONLY want to REGISTER a domain, and IF you AVOID the privacy that they offer during the signup.

If Domains By Proxy would have just sent my confirmation email with my login details, I wouldn't be posting this message right now. I would've been able to simply login to my account and remove the privacy and went about my business, STILL a satisfied customer WITH the ABILITY to make my OWN decision. EVERY domain doesn't have a "need" for privacy and the customer should ultimately be able to make that choice. Anything short of that is unacceptable.

So, I now have 20+ domains that were registered at the same time last year and they ALL have privacy and I will now have to let them expire because I CANNOT login to Domains By Proxy to make my choice.

Since about 1/2 of these domains would be suitable for privacy, they will now lose my business and about $90 in lost revenue as a result.

Just wanted to share this with unsuspecting customers.

Oh yea, to stay on topic, I'm not sure whether my domains are NOW in "redemption" status. A supervisor at GoDaddy told me a domain goes into redemption status after ONLY FIFTEEN DAYS!! Silly me, I "thought" it was 30 days. That is how I found this forum. I did a search in Google for the GoDaddy redemption period to see if I could find out definitively... Heck, I STILL don't know... Oh well, I'll keep looking around...

Best Regards And God Bless...
    cobes

cobes, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  7. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I had the same problem with private and never did get it deleted from my renewal. I called Go Daddy and it was too much of a hassle. I ended up losing the name so I sw.tched everything to Name Cheap this year. Hope this one does better. I have heard good things so far from other people who have used them.

allout, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  8. murph

murph Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought this seemed suss...lucky for me i only have a couple with private with GD... so best bet is to transfer away from GD which will void the private?

murph, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  9. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know I had private. I know I dropped it when I renewed.

I may have gone to the proxy site to do that. I don't remember.

Colbyt, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  10. murph

murph Peon

Best Answers:
    Luckily i managed to login to domainsbyproxy and end my private reg on that domain...

murph, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  11. varunkrish

varunkrish Peon

Best Answers:
    Its a very easy process provided you have the login details for domainsbyproxy
    I posted my experience here

varunkrish, Dec 21, 2007 IP
  12. dpsubi1

dpsubi1 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if you have domain by proxy account number you can login to that and cancel the private registration ... the password will be same as your godaddy account password. Also, there will be a different domain by proxy account for each purchase ... I mean if you buy domains from your account on 3 different date/times there will be 3 different domain by proxy account. so, you need to cancel your domains from all 3 different account. The cancellation web form is an user enemy form. LoL. ..

BTW, I just cancelled the private reg. on my 120 domains :eek:

dpsubi1, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  13. husla3x

husla3x Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am having that same problem. You have to be careful because that privacy craap is harder to remove than herpes. I have paid the super-outrageous fee 5 times this month. I really hate these guys but like everyone else i started with them and did not think about it again for a year. I have to give them this, they are the most subtle cons I have ever ran across, the bastiges.

husla3x, Apr 22, 2009 IP
  14. husla3x

husla3x Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    oh yea! That bulk renew plan they put you on voids the coupons and saves you cents when the coupon saved you dollars. I really am growing to hate them. Its hard to get off that also.

husla3x, Apr 22, 2009 IP
  15. webgeek154

webgeek154 Guest

Best Answers:
    guys, here's how to retrieve your login without hassle

your domainsbyproxy password is the same as your godaddy account password but for every purchase you are given a new login id.

AND....

when you make a new purchase at godaddy, it gives you the option to link your new domainsbyproxy purchase to a previous account. it lists all your previous login ids.

so just grab those login ids and use your godaddy password for each of them.

i just did that and it worked perfectly :)

webgeek154, Jun 18, 2009 IP
  16. webgeek154

webgeek154 Guest

Best Answers:
    i wasn't clear on one point. to retrieve your domainsbyproxy login ids, go through the cart as if you were going to make a new domain purchase and add private registration. it will them show you the ids that you have previous setup

webgeek154, Jun 18, 2009 IP
  17. 3DProf4online

3DProf4online Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, the best way to solve the problem is to call to GoDaddy directly.

3DProf4online, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  18. Struga1410

Struga1410 Member

Best Answers:
    or send a email message

Struga1410, Jun 19, 2009 IP
  19. 3DProf4online

3DProf4online Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you tried to have this issue solved by GoDaddy support team directly? What are results?

3DProf4online, Jun 22, 2009 IP
  20. soundingloud

soundingloud Peon

Best Answers:
    they s*** just try to put the customer in trouble... i finally got my private registry canceled... what a big hassle i must say

soundingloud, Jan 27, 2010 IP