1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cost of making and running googles scale search engine.

Discussion in 'Google' started by glink1, Mar 17, 2007.

What i wanted to do was to estimate how much it would cost
    to make search engine of googles size
    ... and i stoped when i calculated 450,000 servers *$1000 each
    its about half a billion dollars, for now i don't have that cash
    so i'll calculate how much it would take to
    make slower but still working search engine
    with index of googles size

so
    22,3 bln pages
    30KB each page
    4*155 Mbps line -$74,800/month
    2 java programers- $6,000 a month
    1TB of HD per server
    643 servers for all sites -$643 000 one time cost
    200W each server
    $0.09/KW/h
    $13,694.35 monthly for electricty

so how much time:
    3 moths of programming= $18,000
    lets sat that programmers will do the cralwer virtualy
    then its:
    3 month of crawling:
    (3*$74,800)+(3*$13,695)=$265,485
    cost of hardware-$643 000

265,485+643,000+18,000=926 485

so adding renting cost and other stuff
    it might might be about $1,000,000.
    And thats achivable.

Please feedback.

glink1, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  2. Pierce

Pierce Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your missing a lot.

Fair enough you have indexed all pages at an average of 30kb, now how bout making it usable? you need a few more servers to hold tree structures so you can actually search your data.

Also you probably have to build your own DBMS, as mysql and postgress wont cut it with that much data.

And your own network file system..

And your own crawler...

And your own algorithms...

Pierce

Pierce, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  3. glink1

glink1 Peon

Best Answers:
    crawler is included in my calculations,
    as for DBMS
    and network file sys, how would it cost?

glink1, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  4. MrX

MrX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here's the thing...there were dozens of search engines in the past with all of these massive financial and technical (hw, sw, manpower) resources, etc. The reason Google rose to the top is because of its algorithms. Google was sucking on its mom's tits when AltaVista and Yahoo were making big names for themselves. Now it's Altawho, and Yahoo in 2nd of course.

MrX, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  5. searchmaster

searchmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    dont think of google only.

we can change the algorithms and can invite people to index thier sites again.

are you up for making a new search engine?

HERE I AM?

searchmaster, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  6. Pierce

Pierce Active Member

Best Answers:
    For the crawler, okay you have built it and costed it out. But you have to crawl 100,000 pages a second or so before you can keep up with googles index freshness, so you need at least 5 dedicated servers for that alone pulling 20k pages each per second.

DBMS and network file system, people in the know charge $120,000 a year and dont get their hands dirty with code, they come up with ideas, then your talking about 4/5 c/c++ coders for the NFS and DBMS each.

Youll need expertise in file storage, distributed systems, database designers, network experts(who know spanning trees, redunancy, fallover).

Also you have not budgeted the cost of switches to connect 643 servers together. Cisco catalyst switches are about $13,000/switch for 48 ports. so you also need about 25 of them.

Cabinates to hold the racks and switches.

Cooling systems.

Thats just what I can pull off the top of my head. Im sure theres a lot more required.

Pierce

Pierce, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  7. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It would take about a gazillion dollars or one signed picture of Edward Norton.

ninjashoes, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  8. grg

grg Guest

Best Answers:
    And + people payed for pages manual evaluation (13 Euro/hour for each).

grg, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  9. Anita

Anita Peon

Best Answers:
    Is this a real question, or is this hypothetical for a school project? Your indexes will take up AT LEAST triple the space of all your cached pages, so triple the storage. Plus, you'll need redundancy for your storage ... so triple the storage again. Now you're up to ~5,000 servers. Assuming you lease the servers, space, etc., the best you could expect is $1,500,000/month in data center costs, all inclusive.

Another thought is your programming time. To create a search engine that someone would want to use, expect 10X the programming effort you've outlined. Plus you'll need additional programmers to monetize your site (e.g. something like Adsense).

Finally, you'll need some way to market it. You don't want to burn through $1,500,000 per month in without revenue.

Anita :)

Anita, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  10. glink1

glink1 Peon

Best Answers:
    This question is real, thanks for input

glink1, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  11. bloggerpreneur

bloggerpreneur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a few points.

First your numbers are way off. Google makes billions per month and it's daily operating cost is several million dollars per day.

If you truly want to take on Google, take that $1,000,000, add for $4 or 5$ million to it, create a start up that will build an algo that blows Googles out of the water, then get bought by Yahoo or MSN.

bloggerpreneur, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  12. wez

wez Peon

Best Answers:
    "2 java programers- $6,000 a month"

You can higher java programmers for $3000/month each? Even if you could get some offshore developers, they are not going to have the expertise to develop a dynamic search engine (if they did they would be making a lot more than $36k/year)

You will need an IT staff to manage all your 5000 servers, even with 3 full time IT people they would be completely overwhelmed trying to manage 1000 servers.

Next you need developers to work on your algorith and caching and DB management - figure a minium team of 15 developers - your cheif architect and team leads will probably be looking to make 6 figures and you will need at the bare minimum 3 senior tech people. SQL people arent cheap, you will also need some jr people to do interface programming, web standards, etc. etc.

Plan on selling ads on your site? Sales reps, customer service reps, tech support.

Bare minimum of say 20 total people, salaries will cost you close to 100k/month - now with all that you are going to need accountants, HR people, oh and somewhere to put them

- you could probably cram 20 poeople into about 4000 sqft of office space if you made them all sit in cubicles (this is sure to piss off your senior developers, so plan on getting them their own offices) better plan on more like 6000 square feet and that will still be tight, but in my neighborhood that goes for about $7000/month for class b office space

- you can get class c office space cheaper - probably $5000 a month

- a phone system, 20 extensions and a pbx = $8000 installed, then if you can get a nice deal on service (we get 5 lines and a T1 for $500/month) for what your doing expect you need at least 10 lines and 2 T1s so $1000/month.

I can go on if you want but I think you might be getting the picture. Of course apple was started ina garage, and two guys in college made google (with the resources of the Stanford computer lab of course)...

wez, Mar 27, 2007 IP