1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Selling Proxy Sites: How to...

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by jackslounge, Mar 13, 2007.

ok, I'm after some tips from people who have been in the proxy game for a while, re selling proxies. Heres what I want to know/think I already know:

How long do you hold a proxy before you sell it?

Do you wait until earnings drop (Sounds logical), or do you sell after a set time, like after 1, 2, 6 months of operation? I guess this also depends on the success of the individual site..

How much do you expect for it?

Due to their life expectancy, I've heard proxies normally go for 2-3 months of revenue, rather than the traditional 12 months. Correct?

You get a buyer, then what?

Any sites I sell will be without hosting, so do I just take the relevant files off the server and email them, then change the domain details in GoDaddy (my registrar)? - is this what a "free push" is. Please dont laugh at my newbness :eek:

Any other tips for someone who hasn't sold a site before, especially related to proxies? Thanks for your help..

jackslounge, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  2. stdio

stdio Peon

Best Answers:
    I can only answer to your "free push" question.

Many domain registrars have this option to transfer domains from an account to another for free, also called as a "domain push".

Hope this helps :)

stdio, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  3. jackslounge

jackslounge Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, do I just do that by changing the domain registration info? It sounds right, its under the "account change" option.

Thanks for the fast reply :)

4. stdio

stdio Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on the registrar. For example with NameCheap (which is awesome) you just need to enter the username of the user you are "pushing" the domain to. With GoDaddy you need to enter the registration details. I don't know for other registrars :)

stdio, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  5. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    proxy sites sell for about 2 to 5 months revenue,but depending on the name and traffic,may sell for a little.domain pushes are easy,if you need help,the registra will help

templates, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  6. jackslounge

jackslounge Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, that looks fairly straight forward, now that you've all pointed out how to do it.

I guess all that is left is the big question - when do I sell? How do you know when it is time?

7. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    post the site and stats..if you get a price you want,then it was time to sell

8. jackslounge

jackslounge Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess that is what it comes down to.

Can you (anyone) predict the lifespan of an average proxy? ie from establishment to earning nothing per day?

9. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i dont think there is a way to predict its downfall..schools and companies add it to the banned list(the url) so you lose some traffic..just advertise and submit to topsites and directories,and you never know

10. jackslounge

jackslounge Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, thanks for the tips. I think I've got a strategy in mind then - just keep them until they use too much bandwidth for the revenue they give me, then sell them off to the highest bidder. Thanks for all the replies guys, I hope this is helpful to others as well.