1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Guide to AdWords Dynamic Keyword Insertion

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by taulath, Mar 7, 2007.

There isn't much information about this on DP or in fact on the AdWords site (In fact i've heard it isn't an officially supported feature!) so I've put together this quick guide to DKI and how to use it effectively. Please add your own tips or comments!

What is Dynamic Keyword Insertion? (DKI)

DKI is a feature of AdWords which allows you to dynamically use the keywords that users search for to be displayed as part of your advert. This can be useful for the following reasons:

1. Words in your ad copy that match keywords users type in are highlighted in bold, helping your ad stand out from the competition
    2. Your adverts will appear more relevant to the user as they use the keyterms that triggered the advert, which will usually increase CTR.
    3. You can use one adgroup to cover a range of slightly different but related keyterms, therefore maximising your ad relevance without having to type an advert for each keyword variation

Where can I use Dynamic Keyword Insertion?

You can use DKI anywhere in your adverts.. in the title, description line 1 or 2, display url and in your destination url (Usually for tracking purposes, be careful not to break your links with this method!)

Ok, how do I use Dynamic Keyword Insertion then?

You specify how you'd like the dynamic keywords displayed, and give a default phrase which will be displayed if your dynamic keywords cannot for whatever reason. The format is below:

{keyword:defaulttext}

You can also use the following capitalization on the work 'keyword' to get different effects:

• keyword - no capitalization
    • Keyword - First word is capitalized
    • KeyWord - Every Word Is Capitalized
    • KEYword - EVERY letter in first word is capitalized
    • KEYWord - LIKE Above But With Each Word Capitalized
    • KEYWORD - EVERY LETTER IS CAPITALIZED

[I]Example[/I]

{KeyWord:Widgets}
    Buy your {Keyword:Widgets} here
    {KEYword:Widgets} with free delivery!

Keyterm in your adgroup: 'blue widgets'

Blue Widgets
    Buy your Blue widgets here
    BLUE widgets with free delivery!
    Code (markup):

FAQ's

What if my dynamic keywords are too long?
    Maximum character limits still apply, so if the dynamic keywords push your ad text over the line limit, the default text will be used instead. Make your default text short enough to comply with maximum character limit.

Will using dynamic keywords effect my quality score?
    I've not seen any adverse effects to quality score by using DKI, and neither have other people I've spoken to.

Is using dynamic keyword insertion the best solution?
    Ideally, no. If you have the time, it's best to write an individual advert for every keyword/term in your campaign. In practicality though, with a huge range of keywords and/or lack of management time (or budget), dynamic keyword insertion can be a quick way to make your adverts appear more relevant and achieve a higher CTR.

My dynamic keywords aren't showing up! What's wrong?
    Check that your keywords are short enough to comply with the maximum character limit on the line you're using them on.
    Also remember that dynamic keywords must comply with the same guidelines that normal text must - For example whilst you can bid on copyright words, they cannot appear in your ad text so will not appear as dynamic keywords.

What about dynamic keyword insertion on the content network?
    From AdWords Advisor 2 (WMW):
    "We will insert the most relevant keyword from your Ad Group into the creative, space permitting. The deliver of your ad on the content network is determined by the overall theme of your Ad Group, but the system will select the most relevant term within the Ad Group for insertion. It will also use that keywords maximum CPC and destination URL settings as well."

Can I use dynamic keyword insertion on my display url to increase CTR? (E.g. www.example.com/dynamic-keyword)
    Yes, but be aware that if your display url does not actually work as a real url, then your adverts may be disabled after a manual review. Use .htaccess or similar methods to rewrite the display url to your real landing page if you want to try this tactic.

More tips:

Shoemoney claims to be able to increase CTR by making an 'arrow' with bolded dynamic keywords. Whilst the experiment is flawed in several key ways, it's worth a read.
    http://www.shoemoney.com/2007/02/06/google-adwords-arrow-trick-to-increase-click-through-rates/

If the quality score of your keyword is low, it will not be used as a dynamic keyword, even when that keyword triggers display of your advert. Make sure your default text is effective, and ideally don't run low quality keywords/work on improving them.

IMPORTANT:
    The dynamic keyword used is what you have bid on, not what the user types into the search box. For example:

Ad Title: {KeyWord:Buy widgets}
    In your keywords (broad match): Buy red widgets
    User search query: "I want to buy red widgets from an online shop"
    Your diplayed ad title: Buy Red Widgets

taulath, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  2. Micromag

Micromag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    very Nice guide, I'm sure that do not exist a DKI guide so complete like this around there - congratulations.

A very small detail:

I would add that your ad can be disapproved in certain cases if most of your keywords in your ad do not fit correctly in the parameter place on your ad. In another words: if you create an ad with the {KeyWord:} parameter but the keywords on your group do not make sense while fitting on your ad your ad may be manually disapproved by "incorrect keyword insertion" motive.

This is the similar case you try use the {KEYWORD:} parameter in all caps and the keywords on your adgroup are not keyword that should be used in upper case.

Micromag, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  3. B.V.E.

B.V.E. Peon

Best Answers:
    In fact there are a lot of threads in the Adwords forum here on the DKI topic, but it seems that people refuse to use the search function :p
    Great thread though, maybe a moderator or admin can sticky it?

Some of this might go straight against the Google Adwords guidelines.
    Are you 100% sure all these combinations are possible? I always thought that the options were limited to the following 3 combinations:
    keyword - no capitalization
    Keyword - Only the first word is capitalized
    KeyWord - Every Word Is Capitalized

Thanks for the tip! I've been using the DKI function for a long time now, but never realized this was the case.

B.V.E., Mar 7, 2007 IP
  4. taulath

taulath Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of posts, but not much actual information ;)

taulath, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  5. Yahoo Cowboy

Yahoo Cowboy Active Member

Best Answers:
    KEYWORD - EVERY LETTER IS CAPITALIZED hmmmm is this allowed? Google disallows your advert if it has the whole word capitalized. DKI is useful but doesn't work on all campaigns, a through test is needed on individual campaigns.

Yahoo Cowboy, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  6. taulath

taulath Peon

Best Answers:
    KEYWORD works but isn't very useful, as you state you can't have normal words in all caps and therefore those ads would be deactivated.

KEYWord is useful sometimes, say for if you want to bid on 'AA membership', 'RAC membership' or anything where the first word is an acronym.

taulath, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  7. cianuro

cianuro Peon

Best Answers:
    It should also be noted that keywords that you are unable to use in ad copy yet use to bid on will not display when using DKI.

cianuro, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  8. Micromag

Micromag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is not true - there is no filter for the keywords that go from your adgroup to replace the {keyword:} parameter - even for example if you use trademark keywords terms that should be not be used on an ad, they are all displayed without any filter to stop them

The logic here (that is not a problem for Google) is that these keywords will only be triggered (appear on the ad) if the user type them in.

What can happen is that if you have too much not allowed keywords on your adgroup (like misspelling, trademark terms, non sense phrases, etc) and you are using DKI to throw these not allowed on your ad, is that your ad will be manually disapproved for "incorrect keyword insertion", but these keywords will never be filtered.

When you use DKI: pay very attention on your adgroup for bad keywords, Google will not do this job for you: it will just stamp these keyword on your ad.

Micromag, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  9. cianuro

cianuro Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to disagree. Google TMs do not show when dynamically inserted. I have not seen any TMs (Not Google owned) that are denied when creating an ad shown when dynamically inserted. Trademarks owned by Google are not allowed in ad text. Currently, these include Google, Froogle, Gmail, Orkut, Keyhole and PageRank.

cianuro, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  10. glink1

glink1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Does it work for content network?

glink1, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  11. cianuro

cianuro Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you read the post?

What about dynamic keyword insertion on the content network?
    From AdWords Advisor 2 (WMW):
    "We will insert the most relevant keyword from your Ad Group into the creative, space permitting. The deliver of your ad on the content network is determined by the overall theme of your Ad Group, but the system will select the most relevant term within the Ad Group for insertion. It will also use that keywords maximum CPC and destination URL settings as well."

cianuro, Mar 9, 2007 IP
    taulath likes this.
  12. glink1

glink1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry for not reading all but i'm short on time.
    Thanks for answer

glink1, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  13. JakeyJ

JakeyJ Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you have the copy text alter in relation to the headline keyword?

IE: Your example....
    {KeyWord:Widgets}
    Buy your {Keyword:Widgets} here
    {KEYword:Widgets} with free delivery!

Keyterm in your adgroup: 'blue widgets'

Blue Widgets
    Buy your Blue widgets here
    BLUE widgets with free delivery!
    Code (markup):
    ...would perhaps say "Buy the 'Bluest Widgets' Here!" with 'Bluest Widgets' being the text that relates to the 'Blue Widgets' keyword. Another example, if the keyword was then 'London Phone Numbers' the copy would insert in relation '0207 or 0208 Numbers'

Is that possible or am I just hoping too much?

JakeyJ, Mar 15, 2007 IP
  14. pedigreechump6

pedigreechump6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great post, I never knew this and have generally been using the first style {keyword} parameter. This should help my CTR quite a lot.

pedigreechump6, Mar 15, 2007 IP
  15. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Nice guide, taulath!

This has been available for years. But I don't think it's something Adwords wants everyone knowing about for some reason. :rolleyes: (at least their smaller advertisers)

Crazy_Rob, Mar 15, 2007 IP
  16. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Never been able to figure that out myself. It's the only somewhat well known AdWords feature that has zero official documentation.

GuyFromChicago, Mar 16, 2007 IP
  17. cool_mo_dee

cool_mo_dee Peon

Best Answers:
    Its a great tool, i have used it for a while now, I did try full capitals briefly but was disallowed by our mutual friends at google around 2 weeks later

cool_mo_dee, Mar 16, 2007 IP
  18. mikemotorcade

mikemotorcade Peon

Best Answers:
    I always wondered how other ads did that! Thanks for the info! :D

mikemotorcade, Mar 16, 2007 IP
  19. delhi.seo

delhi.seo Peon

Best Answers:
    Really a good informative post for me too! Thanks alot.

delhi.seo, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  20. Adwordshelp

Adwordshelp Banned

Best Answers:
    KEYword - EVERY letter in first word is capitalized

this idear aready not worked,the same :keyword:(

Adwordshelp, Apr 6, 2007 IP