1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Photographer trying to design his website using SuperSized & jQuery... Help?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by FashionPhotographer, Dec 1, 2012.

First of all thank you for reading this topic and hello!

I am a young fashion photographer, fresh out of art school trying to build a website to showcase my work. To me the perfect solution (as the website needs to be viewable on iPad and such) would be to use SuperSized ( http://buildinternet.com/project/supersized/ ) because as a broke student I don't have the means to pay a web designer. Thing is I just don't know how to use this, yes, I'm a total noob, sorry... Basically I downloaded the package and I don't know how to go about customizing and installing this. Here's what I would like to do ideally:

Have a main page with my logo and some full screen images with navigation arrows but nothing else and buttons that link to the following categories: Fashion, Beauty, Art, Biography, Contact.

A bit like this perhaps but with better buttons which I can design myself http://www.korenman.com/omr/

When you click on Biography or contact a box with some text appears and when you click on one of the other categories the images for each category appear as a slideshow with arrows for navigation.

Any advice on how to do this?

FashionPhotographer, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  2. FashionPhotographer

FashionPhotographer Peon

Best Answers:
    PS: If this would be too complicated to do myself as a newbie then I'd like to keep it simple with a single page with a logo up there or down there somewhere and full screen slideshow and navigation arrows and then maybe some text in a corner with a contact phone number and e-mail. Sounds simple enough, eh?

FashionPhotographer, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  3. AdamUK89

AdamUK89 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

If you have basic understand of HTML/CSS you can do it, if not, its best to use a free website builder to build your website, you also got to think about, where are you going to host the website? and the domain name? You have to pay for domain names as its not possible to get a free one. There are many things to consider. If you would like anymore advice or have any questions, you can contact me if needed through PM or your thread.

Regards,
    Adam

AdamUK89, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  4. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And do you also build your own cameras? Make your own film and paper?

If this is a business, be prepared to pay others to do things that aren't picture-taking-related - that's how a business works. If it's just for fun, what's the difference? Go to a place like http://www.webs.com/ and use their tool to make whatever kind of site it allows you to make.

(A slideshow may be more than you can do yourself. Maybe limit yourself to a page, or a few pages, of shots.)

Rukbat, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  5. wenren

wenren Peon

Best Answers:
    Do not feel like that. You obviously can do what others can do so just keep patience and you must get your result.

wenren, Dec 2, 2012 IP
  6. FashionPhotographer

FashionPhotographer Peon

Best Answers:
    Well so far I have been using iWeb to make sites but it kinda feels like I am stuck in the 2000s, no matter how modern my buttons, graphic elements or fonts are simply because my images are not protected from being saved by any novice user who can just grab a high res. I do have my own domain name and webspace and about 5GB at my disposal which is probably more than enough for a simple portfolio site. I'm willing to learn the technical part and I can easily create whatever graphic elements are required in photoshop to make my site. I just don't know where to start, first in installing SuperSized and then in modding it? Maybe I should start out with my idea of a single simple page thing?

FashionPhotographer, Dec 4, 2012 IP
  7. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to start coding the page, first lay it out on paper.

Then learn HTML, CSS and how they interact. Then write the page, including the pictures (which are HTML tags).

If you want a slide show, you'll have to learn programming and Javascript.

Rukbat, Dec 4, 2012 IP
  8. FashionPhotographer

FashionPhotographer Peon

Best Answers:
    Java doesn't work on iPad and such as far as I know and many clients use that device.

FashionPhotographer, Dec 4, 2012 IP
  9. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Java? No one was talking about developing websites in Java.

Rukbat, Dec 5, 2012 IP