1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adsense Revenue makes sudden unexplainable increase

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Steupz, Jul 17, 2012.

Has this happened to anyone.
    Suppose your revenue suddenly jumped tenfold despite no improvement in traffic? I know that would be a concern and the choices would either be do nothing (because you aren't doing anything against the TOS) or do something.

If you are one of those who would do something, what would that something be?

Steupz, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  2. Serverty

Serverty Active Member

Best Answers:
    It may be that your users are clicking on ads that are leading to conversions.

Serverty, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  3. Steupz

Steupz Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I hope it's that because it's not a huge amount of clicks. But it's been going on for about three days now

Steupz, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  4. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I would become worried only if we're talking about yesterday's earnings. Not from today's earnings, it is a waste of time to talk about today's earnings as they fluctuate a lot and are only estimates.

JamesColin, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  5. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    So you're saying he should worry?

browntwn, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  6. Steupz

Steupz Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess he is saying that.

Steupz, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  7. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    yes, if it is a few days then one could worry and simply send an email to adsense if that can calm you down, otherwise with url and custom channels in adsense, if you use that you should be able to find out where the problem comes from..
    Try removing the ads from those pages/sites.

But honestly, this is not your job really, and adsense has dealth with how many click bombing attack in 9 years of existence? So they must know what they're dealing with and that's it's probably not you who is at the origin of those invalid clicks. I suppose they can fight it.

JamesColin, Jul 17, 2012 IP
    Steupz likes this.
  8. browntwn

Best Answers:
    That is my advice as well. Over the years I have seen all kinds of spikes in earnings and clicks and never bothered to notify adsense. They will do what they do and you will get paid for legitimate clicks. They will discount bad ones and if they think it is you mis-using their service they will take action. Sending an email does not protect you from anything and to me, only serves to bring more attention to what may not even be a problem, but maybe they find something else they don't like since you invite them to poke around and inspect your account.

Steupz likes this.
  9. Steupz

Steupz Peon

Best Answers:
    Good advice. I chose to do nothing but I wanted the benefit of others' wisdom as well.
    Thanks.

Steupz, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Just curious... did it start on Friday/Saturday last week?

Since then I've seen a *huge* increase in CPC (traffic, page views, impressions, CTR, clicks, etc. all look normal)

And by huge, I mean I've been using AdSense for almost 10 years since it first came out and Saturday (a WEEKEND day) was almost 300% of my highest single day EVER... in the last 10 years. I have enough traffic that the daily numbers don't fluctuate much at all as it's all pretty well normalized. So to see such a huge increase and having it be stable... something is up.

And it's been that way ever since (all days since).

I dug into AdSense reporting detail a bit to see where it's coming from... it's not people doing placement ads, it's not people in some random weird country click bombing (like I said, overall CTR is the same as always). The only thing that really seems to change is CPC went crazy high, but only for users in the United States.

This is a chart of day to day... The slivers on the far right are the last few days...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
    digitalpoint, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  11. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Beers on Shawn then. :)

Seriously though, that seems like some change on Google's end and obviously a good one for some people. Does seem like a lot of movement though, I wonder what they are doing?

12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As far as I can tell, the only change I can really see is just a huge CPC increase for users in the US.

digitalpoint, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  13. BSMedia

BSMedia Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've always had a pretty good CPC rate, so I haven't noticed much of a change.

The only time my adsense earnings spike is when my niche site gets featured on a major news site and they don't link to it. People end up googling it and that traffic converts amazingly well for me.

BSMedia, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  14. Steupz

Steupz Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes... that's when it began and it's tapering off today (making me want to cry, lol)

Steupz, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Same for me... it went back to normal, but for the 4 days it was about 3 weeks worth of revenue in the 4 days. Quite odd whatever it was.

digitalpoint, Jul 19, 2012 IP
  16. almir2

almir2 Peon

Best Answers:
    same here, I've earned some 540 EUR in 4 days on a site that would usually earn some 50 eur. in same period. clicks were over 1 eur on average.

It stopped yesterday though and today reports for traffic are miserable without a single click, lol. I guess they'll balance it in next weeks.

almir2, Jul 19, 2012 IP
  17. na09

na09 Member

Best Answers:
    Be aware. Google dont like sudden changes.

na09, Jul 19, 2012 IP
  18. gcol

gcol Active Member

Best Answers:
    opps this happened to me around three years ago....the thing happened on one of my sites..sure I got paid 400% than usual for around 3 months, then boom.....the site was deindexed...completely! something or someone have done something on one of your sites that is not normal, and DEINITELY the big G will find out about it, sooner or later....yes they will look into it. my advise is do something about it now when you still have the time....finding out what is that abnormal thing is your challenge...yes, you did not do something wrong or fishy, yes you are honest...but some one did something....I sort of enjoyed the 400% higher earnings, but regretted it later...........

gcol, Jul 21, 2012 IP
  19. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People were probably click bombing your sites, in the current case its more like the CPC increased. Maybe an industry factor somewhere. Or a festive season.

wptheme, Jul 21, 2012 IP
  20. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I also noticed something like this in last 4 days or so. Clicks are as usual but CPC has increased by a bit. And its still going good for me.

Digital_shubhi, Jul 21, 2012 IP