1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google for sale $85.00

Discussion in 'Google' started by anthonycea, Aug 18, 2004.

?

Will you buy Google Shares

1. I will buy when they start trading

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. I will not buy

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. I'm broke and could not buy if my life depended on it.

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
    Google is for sale at $85.00

http://news.com.com/Google+to+go+for+$85+per+share/2100-1038_3-5315472.html?tag=html.alert

Who is buying?

Who is not?

Who is broke and could not buy even for $10.00 a share?

anthonycea, Aug 18, 2004 IP
    Briant and Bebicul like this.
  2. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Any search engine company that has M$ reeling and scratching their head has to be worth $85 per share. I am in. I think anyone who doesn't buy at least 10 shares will regret it.

NewComputer, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Larry and Sergey thank you NC :D

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/tools/quotes/newsarticle.asp?guid={96504B50-0243-4F13-9C0F-E566345E1A9D}&siteid=mktw&dist=nbs&symb=

anthonycea, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  4. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    I like G ... but I feel $85 might be too steep ... don't get me wrong ... its a good long-term investment but I can't see the share price growing 5 fold or something big like that in a short while ... but then again .. I am not an expert when it comes to stocks so you never know.

payoutwindow, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Can non-US people buy?

I'd like to have a few for the sake of it.

T0PS3O, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  6. tphyahoo

tphyahoo Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not buying. I haven't owned stocks for a long time, and the only time I've ever made money investing was as a short.

Anthony, I get the impression you are a google short. Good luck my ambitious colleague!

It's hard to go against the herd, even if you are right.

Better to earn an honest living as an seo professional than speculate in markets where insiders have much better information and quicker reaction time than you, my 2 cents

:)

thomas.

tphyahoo, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  7. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I just can't see it being a sound long term investment.

With the arrival of Longhorn, Google will most probabally feel a small change in terms of usage numbers. If you have a search box built in to your OS - Which is tied to microsoft, along with your email, word procesor and television/music/radio/DVD center, I get the feeling that you might use MSN.

It could all just be fine for Google, but I just have a feeling that Longhorn will intergrate so many features, that there will be no space for another Search Engine.

My $0.02

SEbasic, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    10 Reasons NOT To Buy Google Stock PRWEB

Not sure how true that is...

T0PS3O, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  9. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    And I thank them for when I sell after 3 weeks at 4 times what I paid. :)

NewComputer, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  10. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    TOP30, anyone with money can buy after it starts trading in the open market (stock market).

NC, if it goes up 4-5 times in 4 weeks I will KYAOMSAGYAHTDAC

:eek:

anthonycea, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  11. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't mind splashing some money but its US investors only according to the website.

DarrenC, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  12. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Anyone anywhere in the world can buy or sell the stock short if you have a brokerage account.

After the stock started freely trading (it started freely trading on the NASDAQ exchange today) anyone anywhere can buy or sell the stock.

It closed at 100.34 and change today.

Long term Google will have a hard time keeping the stock in this range.

The company is fully valued at this point in time, upside is limited.

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/tools/quotes/newsarticle.asp?guid={9DC040DD-871E-467D-9E8C-BADA2517185D}&siteid=mktw&dist=nbs&symb=

13. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    I can't believe you are saying this.... what did they do to you?
    Hard time sustaining? I doubt it. Everyone that I know said they were going to see this stock drop today. BIG SURPRISE.... IT CLIMBED.

We'll see how it goes, I think they will be fine.

14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Go pull a chart on Amazon and Yahoo for their entire history then come back and tell me you can't believe it.

Yahoo once traded over $400.00, Google is not worth more than General Motors, that is what their market capitalization is today, did you read the article linked in my last post?

Netscape and AOL once traded very high, go pull charts on those stocks while you pull the ones on Amazon and Yahoo.

Go pull 5 and 10 year charts on these companies then come back and post your research NC...

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_18/b3881001_mz001.htm

One of the original investors comments in the above article that Google does not resemble a world class company to him and that he will be selling out.

Quote from article linked above is below

Some investors find the approach unsettling. "They do not sound even remotely like a fiercely competitive world-class company, [but] rather kids playing in a sandbox," says one Google investor, who plans on selling shortly after the IPO

15. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Anthony, you need a different tune... All you talk about is the demise of Google. It seems everything you predict so far is wrong.

The IPO was going to be pulled because the SEC was going to not allow it.

The IPO was going to flop because some guy in some article somewhere said so.

Google is going to fail because their entire business is based on their toolbar spying on you.

etc, etc, etc...

So far you don't seem like a very good prophet if you ask me.

As far as Google not being worth more than GM... worth more to who? Unless you are an investor in Google or GM, neither are worth anything to you. The valuation of a company is based on what the open market is willing to pay for it. That's how market cap is set, it's not set because you or someone in an article doesn't think it's worth that.

As far as an original investor saying he is going to "cash out", isn't that what the whole stock market is about? For everyone selling, there obviously is someone buying who thinks it will go up (for any stock).

Maybe Google is smarter than everyone thinks... Think about it. If they set a preliminary price of $85, rather than the $120 they set initially, everyone would have still thought it was over priced. But set it to $120, then lower it to $85, and everyone thinks they are getting a steal.

Google stock should do well over the long term... they are wildly profitable, have a brand that everyone knows and generally trusts and the bottom line is people are willing to buy Google stock because they like the company. Ultimately that's what it's about.

digitalpoint, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  16. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Look AC, I am not going to debate stock with you. I listen to daytraders, something you are not. They say buy, I buy. They say sell, I sell. I have never lost a penny yet.

Today was another example of that. I don't need to research, they will do it for me :)

17. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Ahhh Shawn,

Don't waste your time. You know already know where this is headed. I think AC works at MSN or Yahoo! and everytime they see 'G' do something right, right in front of their eyes, it pisses him off.

Regardless, Google did not get to where they are by fluke. They know what they are doing. I believe this stock will do just fine :)

18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    You listen to daytraders, good luck NC.

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?siteid=mktw&dist=nwhpm&guid=%7B892B3D22%2DB024%2D4119%2DA5EB%2DA56E2DD46100%7D

Read the above article and tell me what the financial community thinks of Google. I do not work for M$ or Yahoo, but I do independant research and publish it all for everyone to freely see NC.

I do not hate Google, if they were straight up I would support them, they went and lied again in the Playboy interview about how pure their search index is, when you look at it from the viewpoint I do, then come back and insult me, but I do not support those who lie to the public, it is that simple.

As far as Google as a long term investment how can you say the IPO was a smashing success, Larry and Sergey were lucky just to pull off what they sold.

None of the venture capitalists were even able to sell their shares because of week demand, they have yet to put their stock in the public float.

When they do sell their investments it will put downward pressure on the stock, in addition to that, Google employees will be able to sell their shares in a couple weeks.

No way Google will be able to support this market capitalization long term.

A company with 1.5 Billion in sales is not worth what General Motors is.

Like I said in my prior posts, look at the charts on those companies then come back and post.

19. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Of course the financial community in general is going to be miffed at Google. Google burned them by saying they didn't need them to do an IPO. So all the institutional brokers and everyone else in that arena are probably pissed off that they weren't able to get in on the Google IPO like they usually can, and second, brokers and financial advisers aren't known for their innovativeness. So they probably think the whole auction IPO system will never work simply because they never deal with it.

digitalpoint, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  20. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google is a company I would like to own shares in - it's just a matter of at what price.

The two problems I have here are I have no $ to spare and don't know enough about what the 'right price' is. :p

As far as their future prospects go they are more vulnerable than msn because msn search can afford to flop.

I don't think gmail will get the click throughs on their ads some were hoping as the ads are just too easy to ignore (gmail will probably be a raging success but the ads probably not).

What they do have though is an enormous share of online activity - that's something they could take in several directions to produce more income streams.

If anything I think Google has and will make Yahoo and MSN stronger companies as they innovate and fight for what google has.

Dominic, Aug 19, 2004 IP