1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Differences between Linux and Windows Server

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by xarzu, Feb 26, 2012.

I have been studying a web site that uses ASP.NET and so it resides on a Windows Server but it also uses some JScript so it is worth studying. Anyway, I am moving it to a Linux server and I have noticed some differences in the way it handles files. First of all, the Windows Server is not case sensitive. But I also noticed something else. It seems that the Windows Server can have file names with spaces in them like this: "Creative%20Design%20vert_S" where the "%20" is a space. But, when I try to upload this directory to the Linux server using FileZilla it does not seem to work. And then when I try to create the directory, I get an error "Forbidden command argument". So is using %20 in a direcory name illegal in Linux?

xarzu, Feb 26, 2012 IP
  2. Orangu

Orangu Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's not the problem you can certainly have spaces in folder names

Orangu, Feb 27, 2012 IP
  3. bdthanh

bdthanh Peon

Best Answers:
    there are some differences between windows and linux server. If your website is running smoothly, you should not change the OS on the server

bdthanh, Mar 4, 2012 IP
  4. cPAce

cPAce Peon

Best Answers:
    A Linux Server will always be superior to a Windows based server not only on the performance aspect, but on the security aspect. It is much easier to setup a strong firewall and anti-hacking system on a linux box then on a windows server.

You will need a plugin that allows .asp.net files but all of the plugins that allow this work extremely well. Linux is more of a case sensitive base of computing to use however, the pay offs are endless if you have an experience Linux Server Administrator such as myself.

If you still need help with the transfer, pm me and maybe we can work something out.

cPAce, Mar 6, 2012 IP
  5. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow! That's a bit of a broad statement without any proof. I've administered windows servers from the days of NT4 and SQL Server 7, and despite looking after 1000's of servers over that time, I've never had any difficulty administering or securing a windows server, and I've never had a server hacked - ever. Earlier versions of Windows may not have been "secure out the box" but they could be made safe, and any server admin (Linux or Windows) isn't going to put a server on the internet without doing some tightening of security. On the other hand Windows 2008 is an incredible piece of software, pretty secure straight out of the box with a default install, and can be made VV safe.

I've no problems with Linux, but random, unfounded, and untrue statements about the "superiority" of Linux over Windows whether in regards to security, ease of set-up, or ease of maintenance, irritate me. Each one to their own, but to maintain the "linux is better", despite evidence to the contrary, is such an out-of-date and old fashioned position that I'm surprised to find people that maintain such a view. Time to wake up to reality.

A lot comes down to the administrator, but I'd pick a properly adminstered Windows server over a newbie with a linux server and some "security scripts" any day, and when it comes to either system with proper admins, it's then down splitting hairs and personal preference.

RonBrown, Mar 16, 2012 IP