1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Do not let ODP editors to moderate in DMOZ section

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by gworld, Jan 14, 2012.

Due to corrupt methods in DMOZ, it is very easy to influence any ODP editor who wants to continue as an editor which was made very clear awhile back by my IP address from this forum was given to ODP by a female moderator of this forum.
    For this reason any modartor who is also DMOZ editor will have a conflict of interest and can also be very easily forced by senior editors in DMOZ to delete posts and give infractions as it can be seen any disagreement with jim "noble" will usually results in infraction and delete of post.

gworld, Jan 14, 2012 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No "senior editor" of DMOZ (or any user) can force staff here to do anything any more than you can.

digitalpoint, Jan 14, 2012 IP
  3. Cucumba123

Cucumba123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As far as I know, robjones used to work / works for DMOZ, but he's not in a staff (or perhaps by disguise?).

Cucumba123, Jan 14, 2012 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Thousands of people used to be ODP editors (anyone can be one). I used to be one... doesn't mean anything whatsoever.

In fact, these days I can't think of ANY directory that is worth having... Not that it's really relevant to the original question, but when was the last time you used a directory to find a site? If DMOZ had been offline for the last 3 years, I certainly wouldn't have known either way.

5. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not active in the DP dmoz section nor am I a mod at DP. Kinda reduces the chance I care.

robjones, Jan 14, 2012 IP
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How can you be sure? Isn´t better to remove the conflict of interest just to be sure? You will be surprised how many people still put a value in being ODP editor or having links in DMOZ. :)

gworld, Jan 14, 2012 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You could make the same argument about anyone/anything. To be sure there is no conflict of interest with people posting threads about Tom Cruise in the Movies section, we should eliminate all mods who are a fan of Tom Cruise, because what if Tom Cruise's publicist asks them to remove a thread...

While it's been pretty rare, moderators have been removed in the past because we saw abuse/conflict of interest.

8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am glad to hear that you take action in such cases and I can only ask you to have an eye on that section since it seems some mods are too willing to please jim "noble".

gworld, Jan 14, 2012 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Other then once getting an infraction for saying that bots added the topix pages in the ODP, I've not had an issue with any of the moderators here, and I'm likely one of the longest standing complainers there are here on Digital Point (in the DMOZ board).

I think the key lies in how you come across. I do not resort to name calling (anymore), and generally back up my claims here (due to getting an infraction when I don't). While many people may feel that I come across as a troll, it's really in the eye of the beholder. As it can not truly be trolling if one can back up their claims (especially with the ODP guidelines themselves).... but that's really neither here nor there.

However, I would like to see more action taken against editors that do resort to name calling and make claims they can not or will not back up (as that often does cross the line between trolling & flaming). I do report them when I don't bother to correct them, and in some cases actions are taken, but most of the time I simply have no way of knowing. I can say though, that most of the editors in the ODP section have been banned more times them me (I've never been banned that I can recall) so *shrug*

Either way, if it's a conflict of interest for an ODP editor to be a mod on a DMOZ board, then by rights, no ex-eds should be allowed either.

Qryztufre, Jan 15, 2012 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm no longer an editor of DMOZ but I was only ever asked once to list a site and the SEO responsible (who I had met and still have contact info for) was highly unimpressed that the site ended up in http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/Oceani...d/Localities/Browns_Bay/Business_and_Economy/ I don't think that was a coup! No dollars changed hands and despite his being an active SEO for companies in my categories no further requests were ever made.

I think you overstate the corruption. Maybe its an 80:20 rule. 80% of the editors are genuine and well meaning. I've never "met" any of the others though

Oh, and I still keep away from the DMOZ section - it all seems so petty.

sarahk, Jan 15, 2012 IP
    robjones likes this.
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends on the math. DMOZ has about 3000-4000 editors and if you divide the number of corrupt editors to this number then you are right and it can be even less than 10% but the problem is that the majority of this people cannot do anything and have just joined to add their own site and nothing else. On the other hand if you divide the number of corrupt editors to senior editors which is about 350 then you will be over 80%.
    I agree with you that whole DMOZ is a petty matter but I suppose I cannot help myself to go to attack whenever I see corruption. :)

gworld, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    For sake of argument, let's say 100% of them are corrupt. Who really cares? lol It's not even your (or my) site. They can be 500% corrupt for all I care, doesn't affect me... nor should it affect you.

Some random guy in China could be "corrupt" with his blog that he writes fake comments on... I can just as much about his blog. lol

I just think you get too wound up over a site you don't own nor have any control over. If you don't like how they run their site, don't use it (same for any site). {shrug}

digitalpoint, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with closing your eyes to the surronding is that one day you will wake up like the people in Italy and Mafia is the country bigest bank. :)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/01/11/mafia-italy-bank.html

gworld, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not really the same thing... it's a privately owned site and they are free to do whatever they want with their site. Simple as that.

digitalpoint, Jan 16, 2012 IP
    robjones likes this.
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I couldn´t find anywhere in DMOZ guideline that they say the editors have to be corrupt. Corruption is a disease that everyone should fight against, otherwise there was no point government charging people in different corruption cases while they could say it is a private company or bank has nothing to do with us.

gworld, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  16. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Let's end these dangerous conflicts of interest
    Maybe we need to forbid Christians or Muslims from moderating in p&r. Some mullah or the pope might force a mod to disclose Gworlds ip in there too, and we all know the enormous value of that information on the world market.

Also, Get anyone involved in making money on the web away from moderating WTS, that's an obvious conflict of interest. And it goes without saying that I support the commonsense suggestion to keep any Tom Cruise fans from moderating anywhere. They can't be trusted. :)

Huge waste of time even discussing this
    That directory has always drawn an inordinate amount of conversation, and I once fell into the numbers of those that gave such conversations unwarranted attention. It's just a directory, a bit timeworn now, still a good link to have but by no means a massive factor on the web as it was so many years ago. It was started in 98 and once had a huge effect on the web. This is 2012. Isn't it time for this ridiculous debate to peter out?

Is that section even needed?

Despite having a decade of experience on the topic of dmoz i dont see any reason to invest a lotta time talking about it. I have 8 posts in there in the last year... and half because a thread was moved there. Even if all the accusations were true, aside from a handful that appear to have made talking about it their life's work, who the hell cares? Between advances in SEs and the deterioration of that specific directory under AOLs management, why is this worth discussion, much less it's own section?

The only use for that sub forum is to keep the terminally obsessed combatants from infesting sane parts of the forum. The forum database in there is a repository of redundant threads with repeated arguments and counters. Everything anyone needs to know could be placed in a single sticky note that say "Submit the site, maybe it will get added. The end." A dedicated sub forum for dmoz is a vestigial tail on the body of the forum.

Best answer: Just remove it
    Send the threads to the smithsonian (maybe the CDCs mental health division) and let the guys that want to argue about it go someplace else to grind their ancient ax. We don't have a separate forum for the Hatfield-McCoy feud, this sub forum is little different, just a place bitter guys go to fire at each other and anyone that wanders between them.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    robjones, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm astounded how often I move threads in there. People do actually still care. Fascinating human behaviour over something that whose time has come and gone.

sarahk, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Consider it modern day archaeology :D

Qryztufre, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. Translation: "Hobby" is not paying off anymore, time to find more lucrative "hobbies". :)

gworld, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  20. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Naah, lost my taste for trying to teach pigs to sing. I'm sure someone's willing to bother but I don't find you that interesting.

robjones, Jan 16, 2012 IP