1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MSN Directory - 18 links per submission & high PR

Discussion in 'Solicitations & Announcements' started by Dominic, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Just submitted to the MSN Directory http://sbd.bcentral.com

I think they are right on the money with this one - you get anchor text for 4 terms per listing (listed in three categories = total 12 links) plus a business card with a further 6 links = 18 links, the pr is of course good also.

Tip: I submitted my contact page as the main listing (must be the business name) and my index page as one of my three other pages linked to for which I was able to choose my preferred link text.

see my listing: http://sbd.bcentral.com/1109.aspx

Press more... to see the business card they give you - and you get to duplicate the listing it in three categories.

The submission process gives you access to an analysis of your pages for msn search and tells you how to tweek each page to rank in MSN. This was a real bonus and fairly revealing if you want to know how to rank well in msn search.

At present the directory is very low profile so I'll be interested to see what kind of promenence they give it when they launch search.

Personally I want to be in a high traffic directory not just get text links so the prominence will IMO effect the eventual success of this directory.

:D Has anyone else had a look at it or submitted yet?

Dominic, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  2. l0cke

l0cke Active Member

Best Answers:
    Looks very interesting. How long did it take you to get listed?

l0cke, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  3. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    less than a day

Dominic, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    They have a lot of duplicate directory categories like here http://sbd.bcentral.com/3196.aspx

Diet & Weight Loss + Diet and Weight Loss

Look slike a good deal though, thanks for the sahring!

T0PS3O, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  5. Dominic

Best Answers:
    Yes we know the training wheels are still on at Microsoft - but this does have potential.

Dominic, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  6. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I've listed a couple of client sites over the last 2 - 3 months. I have yet to see any IBL's reported from the listings, but it's a relatively low entry fee and worth the "risk" if you ask me.

GuyFromChicago, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  7. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I've recommended this service to our division managers. I'll just have to wait & see if they respond.

mopacfan, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  8. Dominic

Best Answers:
    Why are people worried about backlinks not showing from new directories? The same was said about Bluefind that it might not show up for some reason.

As we have seen from the last bl update it may or may not for no good reason either way - who cares if it shows up and why wouldn't it - what does it mean if it doesn't show up... that you aren't getting the value of the link?

Don't worry about links not showing up - hell we got posts in this forum showing up as backlinks last update!

Dominic, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  9. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    I don't think the MSN directory is all that new?

BY "risk" I meant that your link just gets buried in some obscure page that no human, or search engine for that matter, ever finds. The directory has an annual fee, so there's risk associated with it. You can risk losing your $ for absolutely zero benefit. I don't think any of the links from Bluefind are showing up yet either.

Directories that charge a fee will always be put under more scrutiny than free directories. I think they should be, there's money involved.

10. Dominic

Best Answers:
    I'm not defending msn or bluefind - I just wondered why you were concerned that a directory was not showing backlinks.

BTW - I've seen backlinks show for listings in bluefind.

cheers

Dominic, Aug 16, 2004 IP
  11. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    I'm not concerned, just curious. It's interesting that a submission to some free, low PR directory shows as a link almost right away, while it seems that reporting of links from some pay for inclusion, higher PR directories is being delayed.

Can you post a link to a site that Bluefind is showing as a link for? I haven't been able to find one.

12. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    GuyFromChicargo, I'm sure I read someone over at seochat.com who has been listed for 3 months at bluefind was seeing backlinks, I'll see if I can find the thread.

l234244, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  13. EyesCoffee

EyesCoffee Peon

Best Answers:
    I got my online-gambling related sites listed after 16 hours. They need to be a bit more organized with their directories though. They also need to be alot more in-depth like DMOZ and go-guides are.

EyesCoffee, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  14. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Cool, I'd love to see an example. I haven't been able to find one yet. One of my listings with them is on a PR7 page, and I was one of the early submissions.

GuyFromChicago, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  15. Dominic

Best Answers:
    www dot executivecoachingstudio dot com shows a backlink from BF.

Dominic, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  16. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    It sure does…thanks for the info. That's one of the first sites I've seen.

Strangely enough it's on a lower PR page than the listings I have which are not yet showing as a link. I wonder when that site listed, it would be interesting to see if it was before or after some of the sites I've listed.

GuyFromChicago, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  17. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I bought a $49 membership to MSN directory today. It says that I can submit 10 URLS for that price. Does that really mean 10 different web pages or sites? Because if you use the business card option you get to list 9 URLs from your web site as part of a single submission.

On that subject you need to be really well organized in advance of doing a submission and even then it is a long tedious submission process.

Hopefully it will be worth it.

compar, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  18. Dominic

Best Answers:
    Thats for one site (I believe) but you can list many pages from the site.

It's a reall process though isn't it! I'll have to say I learnt something doing it and improved my site because of it.

Dominic, Aug 17, 2004 IP
  19. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I signed up for the $99.

Quite a process indeed but had the links up within 24 hours. It did give us plenty of links to a lot of pages. Have also played with the SEO analysis bit. Interesting but a bit entry-level.

Now sit back and relax and watch those 1000s of visitors come in :)

T0PS3O, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  20. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    So what do you get for $99?

Has anybody submitted more than one site and it's several (nine in total plus the original makes 10) related or internal pages. This is technically 10 URLs, but the way they talk about it on the sign up option page they make it sound like URLs or pages from 10 different domains.

compar, Aug 18, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.