1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best $79 I've spent ~ seo book

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mcfox, Aug 3, 2005.

One of the best investments I've made online was purchasing SEO-Book.

It is continually updated by the author and the updates are available for anyone who purchased the book. Aaron Wall, the author, puts out an email notification whenever he amends the book.

Great material. Great value!

http://www.seobook.com/

mcfox, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  2. charless

charless Banned

Best Answers:
    Really? I always thought it was going to be the same info over and over because of the clickbank cliche.

charless, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  3. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Huh? What does Clickbank have to do with updating the eBook?

mcfox, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  4. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    I almost bought it a couple of times, but is there really that much info that cannot be found online anyway?

zman, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  5. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    McFox, did you really find that much in the ebook that you have not been able to find here and elswhere?

mopacfan, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  6. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    The reason I was asking is that I have always been able to find answers to my questions by either reading through forums or spending a little time digging through search results.

This way is free. :)

zman, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  7. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Without a doubt you could read various forums and sites to find the same sort of information, I suppose. Except Aaron Wall, the author, provides a lot of unique material such as interviews with some of the better known names in SEO so you do get something of an exclusive type of content.

You also get other 'throw-ins' such as the spreadsheet of directories, etc.

What really gives the value, as far as I am concerned, are the continual updates to the eBook. In order to keep the book current, Aaron regularly revises the book and updates it. Whenever he has done so, an email will drop into my inbox giving me a link to download the updated version. No extra charge.

That's a damn good service if you ask me! I can't think of any other ebook or book that gives free updates whenever they become available.

mcfox, Aug 3, 2005 IP
    zman likes this.
  8. Klaas Koopman

Klaas Koopman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i'm looking for a reall SEO book, not an e-book. and which explains me everything from the beginning till the end!! anyone know a good one? because i should learn some seo :D

Klaas Koopman, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  9. charless

charless Banned

Best Answers:
    Never really looked too great about ClickBank due to all of their spammy looking landing pages for PPC ads. Sorry for the generalization. :p

charless, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  10. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    You'll never find one because the information in this field changes so fast. If one were published, it would be out of date by the time it hit the shelves.

mopacfan, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  11. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    I have heard good things about the book. I was thinking of buying so I can learn about PPC, thats the area I know less. Everything else can be learned easily as far as I know.

kalius, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  12. grasshopper

grasshopper Guest

Best Answers:
    regardless if you're a veteran seo or are relatively new to the industry, IMO seobook is one of the best values out there. i've been in the industry for years, but while i was reading it, i still found times when i'd smack myself on the head and wonder why i hadn't thought of that particular angle before.

also, aaron does a good job of integrating the marketing side of search engine marketing into the book, instead of just covering the technology.

once you buy it, you continue to get access fresh downloads as aaron updates the book, which is frequently, in addition to extras. this morning, i got an email notifying me that aaron had compiled all of his interviews with numerous well-known seo's and prominent people in the industry (including digitalpoint's shawn) into a pdf.

overall, i can't recommend the book highly enough. it'll pay for itself many times over.

grasshopper, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  13. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Klass, you should really take a look at Aaron's SEO Book. This book will essentially, never go out of date, because Aaron is always updating it with the latest and greatest SEO news.

A lot of top SEO guys have done case studies on his ebook. I'm talking guys who've gone all across the board from white hatties, to charcoal black hatties, and they all say his book is one of the most comprehensive ebooks online to date regarding SEO.

The books teaches the basics as well as some more advanced techniques and strategies that aren't really talked about on forums. So to say you could scour the fourms and find the same information really isn't accurate.

I recently purchased the book and it is very well written.

Voasi, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  14. awall19

awall19 Berserker

Best Answers:
    thanks for the plug mcfox :)

I always appreciate feedback you offer as well.
    much of the stuff on clickbank is outdated get rich quick by email spamming or writing sales letters to suckers stuff. there is also a ton more fraud with Clickbank than PayPal from my experience. I tend to like PayPal more and push it more on my site than Clickbank.
    you can find whatever you want online. the problem is much of it you find you wish you would have not.

for example, stuff like bogus reviews of pay per click search engines that give people affiliate commissions, or the secret to the best seo software in the world, which is just another way to get more money out of you via another affiliate program.

my ebook should not have any affiliate links in it and all the reviews I give are honest.

and I used to think that way myself. the first quarter of last year I made exceptionally little profit. I make far more now though and am well willing to pay for products and services that save me time.

like in the last month I have spent a grand on various software and reviewed it all free. there is value in saving other people time and money. that is my business model.

eventually I will die. eventually you will die. if we don't value our time then what point is their valuing money?

the free updates help add value, and then some people who are pleased with them recommend my ebook (so it comes back to help me out too...like this thread for example). I could try to charge for updates (and my mentor is mad that I do not) but for now I want to keep them lifetime free...and once you are locked in you are locked in.

if I thought a physical book would have been better I would have used that method of publishing. but they become dated and icky unless they are wrote absurdly general.

mopacfan is right on the money with this:
    my site is not well tied to clickbank... almost all my sales are via PayPal.

no need to buy the book for the pay per click section. there might be a few overlapping pay per click tips in the other sections, but the pay per click section is available online free:
    http://www.seobook.com/overture-adwords.pdf

thanks for the kind words grasshopper :)

thanks for the kind words Voasi :)

awall19, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  15. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    You're welcome, and my pleasure. :)

mcfox, Aug 4, 2005 IP
  16. swoop

swoop Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with mopacfan, everything in this field changes too fast to make a printed book useful.

Plus, this is a field where many have opinions but those who know aren't talking...just cashing checks.

swoop, Aug 4, 2005 IP
  17. awall19

awall19 Berserker

Best Answers:
    I have friends who know way more than I do as well, and they freely share some of that type of information with me, but it is kinda a balance with what can be shared and what can't, and when it is ok to mention something.

you never want to violate the trust of a friend as that only undermines your friendship and long term credibility.

awall19, Aug 4, 2005 IP
  18. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you serious? The seo book is the biggest waste of cash. No offence but all the info is newbie level plus can be found anywhere

City2, Aug 4, 2005 IP
  19. awall19

awall19 Berserker

Best Answers:
    What seo products or services do you consider to be worth paying for?

I have read most every recent book about SEO on the market and as far as I know none of them are as up to date and comprehensive.

I just got this feedback about 10 minutes ago...

"Your book is awesome. (When are you going to put it in print? My wife asked
    me today why I didn't just go out and buy the book instead of printing all
    221 pages...) I am halfway through it and I blew out my yellow highlighter
    already."

I get feedback like that all the time, although most of the time it is not posted to my site.

if you already know everything related to SEO then obviously you are not my target market, but even if you are already knew most everything the book would still be profitable if it contained links to 1 or 2 tools or one or two ideas that save you time (at least if you value your time).

I suspect you never read my book, or you are being a bit economical with the truth if you say you already knew it all. I have only read about 3 books ever that I can say I never learned anything from (out of hundreds), and if anything I wrote my book to be information dense such that my book would not fall into that category for others.

I will agree that much of the info is available elsewhere as I chat a ton of places, like to share most everything I know, and many other people have been in the industry for a decade. what people are paying for when they buy my book is not most all the info you need to know scattered acrost 134,849 forum posts, but for a linear guide and updates to it.

if I had to pin down one recurring negative theme with forums it would be that many people who post on them place the value of $0 on their own time, which really does not work well longterm.

I say that as a person who moderates at about a half dozen forums and probably has about 5,000 to 10,000 posts across them over the past few years, but has recently spent a bit less time on forums and a bit more time reading books and doing other things like going to conferences, reading other types of sites, creating tools, and interviewing people.

awall19, Aug 4, 2005 IP
  20. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, I'm game. I just downloaded the ebook. I'm glad I read this thread. ;)

ResaleBroker, Aug 4, 2005 IP