1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it possible to re-enable Alexa-related functionality in this case ??!

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by tayiper, Feb 1, 2007.

Recently I decided to install Alexa Toolbar. However after installing it, it's obvious that something is wrong. I first checked various Internet Options Control Panel's applet (mostly those realted to ActiveX), then I checked things/configs also with ActiveXHelper program from Nirsoft software, then with BHOList program from Merijn's software.

/NOTE: For the various screenshots of the mentioned program' interfaces (so that I will not post them on two separate places and "waste" the bandwidth) see the similar How to re-enable Alexa-functionality in IE 6 ?? thread that I opened about this on Ars Technica forum.

Then I remembered that the xp-AntiSpy program have one checkbox related to Alexa (and it has also one related to ActiveX, i.e. to disable it completely, but I checked that it is enabled), which appears only if Alexa Toolbar is actually installed. So I launched xp-AntiSpy and surely the checkbox was checked, but the program doesn't allow me to reverse the settings (it says that it cannot reset it as you can see in the screenshot below); as far as I can understand, the program actually deletes some registry entry that makes Alexa work.

The only "sign" of Alexa being installed in IE 6 (that means beside its BHOs being visible with BHOList program) is one strange empty field, where I suppose the toolbar should reside; it looks like a normal input-line, however it isn't.

So can anyone recommend me anything that I can do to reverse the settings applied by xp-AntiSpy so that I will be able to use Alexa Toolbar ??!

tayiper

tayiper, Feb 1, 2007 IP