1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much is SEO worth?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by PoohBear88, Feb 1, 2007.

Ok, well the reason I ask this is because based on my experience competing with high-volumed search keywords, SEO takes a lot of time and effort.

I was wondering what quality SEO work is worth to most companies looking to rank in the top positions.

I offered a potential client top keyword positions for like $1k (I think) for a 6 month campaign. On top of this would be additional costs needed for links, content, etc.

Is that fair or not? I don't understand how these "SEO experts" (according to GetAFreelancer) are able to offer #1 positions for like $100. Are these blackhats or noobies?

PoohBear88, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  2. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of the time those guys are frauds. The price you charge a client for rankings should always depend on the level of competition that keyword has. If someone wanted to rank for the keyword "gift baskets" do you really think that you could get it done for $1,000? This unlikely, it would cost that amount just to get the quality backlinks it would take to rank them, not to mention your time and effort for finding those links and doing all the other stuff you may be doing for the client to make sure they get to the top.

It is up to you to get your clients to understand that they are paying for a quailty service, if they have a small budget then most likely they are going to get small results, a bigger budget produces larger results, that's just the way I do it and it works great.

banless, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  3. DSB

DSB Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly. It depends on the business sector, country, region, and business model.

DSB, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  4. clade

clade Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't have a specific keywords to rank on at but I still want to optimize my site.

What kind of keywords do Youtube rank on?

clade, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  5. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    Pretty much Clowns - unless they put that bid to get the attention and then haggle out more realistic prices in PM or whatever... either way, $100 ain't getting anyone far ....ssooooo... grain of salt I would say

thegypsy, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  6. theseokit

theseokit Banned

Best Answers:
    Depends how badly you want to be #1 in your field. For a term like (Mustard Jars) not much at all. For a term like ( Cell Phone ) better sell your car ;)

theseokit, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  7. Eadz

Eadz Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO on a site is worth the increase in sales on that site due to the SEO.
    It's usually not a good idea to guarantee top keyword positions, because really no one can guarantee anything when it comes to google.

I would recommend some sort of profit-share arrangement, so if you increase their sales by X you get a % of those increased sales.

Eadz, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  8. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Well said, one can't really make promises when it comes to SEO. At the end of the day, it is up to the search engine to do the ranking, and competition can be tough, so right, facing someone who is confident about reaching X SEO results for your web project is like talking to a magician..

Clive, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  9. alexei_aus

alexei_aus Active Member

Best Answers:
    I work as a web designer and SEO and I would charge at least $1000 per month to run someones AdWords campaign and organic SEO not including costs for directory listings like Yahoo! etc.

SEO is a lot of effort, but it the key to making money. Just think of it as advertising. How much would you pay for it?

I agree that there are a lot of guys there who have no idea what they are doing.

I normally analyze the business before making any promises. If the domain name has been registered for longer then a year, normally within 2 weeks it is possible to get it into top 10 for some keywords in Google

alexei_aus, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  10. alexei_aus

alexei_aus Active Member

Best Answers:
    You cant promise, but you can make a prognosis based on analysis.

SEO is easier then you think, but it is time consuming.

Try optimizing your site for your name first and see if you get there in Google. If you start seeing the pattern as to why your name appears number one then you might just crack the code.

Make a search for me

Alexei Kouleshov

11. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    I'd say Real Names are not a good pointer for describing SEO techniques.
    Your last name, for instance, tends to be rare on the web, while names like Clive or Ray are pretty common.

So who's got more home work to do :)
    Besides, pushing a real name on top of a search engine results isn'tt usually the actual goal put in front of a SEO assistant.. More often you have to fight common words like service or product names which can be far more time consuming. And predictions can be compared to weather forecasts here. You can be first on the list today, and drop to page #2 just overnight..

Clive, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  12. alexei_aus

alexei_aus Active Member

Best Answers:
    I guess optimizing for name is a bad example, but that was how I started. I just proposed an SEO battle to optimize for the keyword SEO Battle in 3 forums and on my blog. The search term has 1,480,000 cometing sites.

There will be some serious competition.

Does this sound like a serious SEO challenge?

13. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the number of results in the search term is only a very small piece of the ranking difficulty......

oseymour, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  14. kailyn_morgan

kailyn_morgan Banned

Best Answers:
    hey frankly...

being from the SEo field i wld only say tht u hav been charged very high.... this is the nominal charge for PPC n not SEO ..... :)

n also ur keyword depends upon ur business, the poluarity of tht keyword within ur taeget inche users n also the competition or no of sites tht r selling d same thing n targeting d same audience.... :)

kailyn_morgan, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  15. patataur

patataur Peon

Best Answers:
    hi oseymour could you explain your point of view of what are the other pieces of ranking difficulty, why and how to assess them?

patataur, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  16. ISU

ISU Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think they rank on a lot of them, by the way did you heard how to rank on google well just from video??:)

ISU, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  17. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    Well... - If I may be so bold brother O - there are many many ways of establishing baselines for competitiveness. Ultimately a manual inspection of the top 20 sites gives the final plan..

.. but in the early research you can do something like this, which illustrates a tighter set of parameters fo TRUE competition on a given term

Term -- ‘Blue Widgets’

Core search; 1 200 000 results
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-21,GGLG:en&q=blue+widgets

Quotation narrowing; 50 300
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2005-21%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=%22blue+widgets%22

Allintitle – 606
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2005-21%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=allintitle%3Ablue+widgets

allinurl – 86
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2005-21%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=allinurl%3Ablue+widgets

Term 2 – ‘Red Widgets’

Core search – 1 390 000
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2005-21%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=red+widgets

quotation modifier – 20 600
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2005-21%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=%22red+widgets%22

allintitle – 141
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2005-21%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=allintitle%3Ared+widgets

allinurl – 38
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2005-21%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=allinurl%3Ared+widgets

As you can start to see some terms react differently when tightening up the process …. And as mentioned, some manual inspection is eventually required on the top results….

...but there are more ways to play.. as I mentioned...

thegypsy, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  18. ash1

ash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    1000$ for a 6 month contract is way too low.
    Maybe for a keyword like "red birds africa" or somthing

ash1, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  19. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    Completely depends on the person and the site.

For instance I did SEO work for a local landscaping compay. After I was done they ranked high for all terms for landscaping for sorrunding areas. It brings them in a few orders a day. Now these orders usually are a few thousand dollar ones. What they are making because the work I did is rediculas. But also the work required was very minimal to get them to that position.

So thats why I say it varies between sites and the people. In the example I used SEO changed their company completely.

aaron_nimocks, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  20. manageyourlinks

manageyourlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    gypsy you gave a good example but I didnt see you clarify what you thought was the most competitive... red widgets or blue widgets.

at first look red widgets looks more comp. with 1.39 mil. results. and blue has 1.2 million core results.

But at second look when you look at each other search you start to realize its the opposite. this is why you need to look at not only the core results but like gypsy said... narrow it down with quotations, allintitle, allinurl, allinanchor (didnt see that one but tbo might be the most important one to determine competitiveness)

allinanchor:blue widgets - 31,800
    allinanchor:red widgets - 7, 910

Blue widgets is def more competitive once you dig deeper :)

manageyourlinks, Feb 2, 2007 IP