1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Forum Startup - How to Get Users

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by iFlex, Jan 25, 2007.

I have just created a forum on a test site I am working on.

My question is - once I launch the site, what is the best way to get people to the forum?

If someone hits the site, but only sees 4-5 registered users, with 10 or so posts, they will probably leave.

This is my first crack at forums, and I would appreciate any resources of information to get it started.

Thanks

iFlex, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  2. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    a good way to get visitors is by offering them something for free (like a contest, or VIP access for x amount of post or whatever)

just-4-teens, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  3. iFlex

iFlex Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank You!

iFlex, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  4. rdv817

rdv817 Peon

Best Answers:
    you can also try paid forum posting services like this one

I used them and they have done a good job for me.

I just started a forum and am having the same difficulty of trying to get new users to sign up. Hopefully the paid services (and posts) will encourage others to join.

rdv817, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  5. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    takes notes... I have offered some good deals though. I guess money still gets involved.

coolsitez, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  6. killerj

killerj Active Member

Best Answers:
    get something unique that is updatable on your forums ...
    that draws traffic ;)

killerj, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  7. Wal-Martian

Wal-Martian Peon

Best Answers:
    I think having a blog can draw new people in and get you some search traffic. Blog about interesting topics that come up in the forums then link to them. If none come up then you should start threads then blog about the thread. That will help bring search traffic to the forum (over time of course). I think so many people expect to much from a forum too quickly. A forum is like putting a huge pot on the stove, it takes a long time to bring it to a boil.

Wal-Martian, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  8. LanceT

LanceT Peon

Best Answers:
    truth be told, if your forums will offer good content, then members will come. It's definitely good to get a few users to start posting a little bit, perhaps get your friends, or hire some mods to do it.

When I first started my forum (which has nearly 2k members in its 6th month), I personally asked people to join.

LanceT, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  9. flavoflav

flavoflav Peon

Best Answers:
    I created a deep content pool then attached forums - so when people showed up there was a lot to do... I have 1300 users in 12 months...

J -

flavoflav, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  10. gastongr

gastongr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    offer something unique to your users, a tool, templates, interesting articles, anything.

Post new threads. If the forum is just starting, you as an administrator need to start the discussions if you want your users to get involved.

gastongr, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  11. crazyryan

crazyryan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Check out ICo-content in the buy/sell/trade section.

crazyryan, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  12. notifbutwhen

notifbutwhen Guest

Best Answers:
    I would have to agree with Lancet. Definitely. Content. And answer questions posted by users yourself and provide hard to get, powerful information. People post on forums to get solutions. You provide solutions they will keep coming back. Hence, you should start a forum regarding a subject you are a master off.

Otherwise you will have to offer contests. Try putting up a prize for the person who posts the most. Or better yet offer a free blog account for users who post the most. You will need to be able to program for the free blog account. But by giving them an incentive of free hosting with their own ads from which they can earn money you will get people posting. Tell them they can only keep their free blog so long as they post 12 times a week. Watch the forums swell.

notifbutwhen, Jan 26, 2007 IP
    Jenna Appleseed likes this.
  13. bacanze

bacanze Peon

Best Answers:
    Definately buy post, for example I am soon to start a forum and I am allocationg $50 for forms post to begin with, and see how that goes.

bacanze, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  14. Velocity

Velocity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have traffic your forum will grow. Do not start a forum before you have decent traffic. No paid posts, prizes or anything listed above will help if your website does not have enough traffic. But how much traffic you need it really depends on what your website is about. People come and go, so you need a constant flow of new members.
    And make sure that a link to it is visible on your main pages. And of course, do other things that are mentioned above. Good luck!

Velocity, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  15. kalle437

kalle437 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can always make a lot of own accounts and have a lot of conversations between theese accounts very often, so people that visit see that the forum is active. And once you get enough members, everything will run by itself.

Kalle :)

kalle437, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  16. Sorvoja

Sorvoja Don't hide my ads!

Best Answers:
    You should recruite all of your friends and get them to post once a day the first month. Then you should create 20 users acounts for yourself. It is tricky to reach the critical mass needed.

Sorvoja, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  17. brokensoft

brokensoft Active Member

Best Answers:
    content is the king,good content=more visitors

brokensoft, Jan 27, 2007 IP
  18. SeLFiE

SeLFiE Banned

Best Answers:
    Publicize your site...anyway what kind of forum do you have??

SeLFiE, Jan 27, 2007 IP
  19. guest2021

guest2021 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you, or your members can write articles about the topics/subjects you discuss, this can be a good tool for attracting new members, and also can be used to generate visits by submitting articles to article directory sites. To combine the idea of contests, you could have an article writing contest with a cash prize perhaps? That way the members and the forum benefit,

Greg

guest2021, Jan 27, 2007 IP
  20. mnymkr

mnymkr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have found that if it is a forum or site that you are actually interested in (not made for just hopes of profit), you can contact your friends and tell them about it and have them tell some friends before you know it, someone in the www will comment on something someone has said.

mnymkr, Jan 27, 2007 IP