1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Clicked my own adsense by mistake!

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by imagerage, Jul 24, 2005.

I clicked my ad by mistake, nothing loaded yet just a white screen but I see the URL already and immediately closed the window. Did the click count already? Should I inform Google about this?

imagerage, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Nah, happens to all of us. Just learn from your mistake and try not to do it again

fryman, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I did that myself recently. I immediately wrote them. They thanked me for being so forthcoming, but warned me as well:

Thanks for your reply. 

To protect your interests as well as those of our advertisers, Google monitors clicks and impressions on Google ads to prevent any abuse of the AdSense program. Google's proprietary technology analyzes all ad clicks and impressions for any activity intended to artificially drive up an advertiser's costs or a publisher's earnings. 

Clicks or impressions deemed by our monitoring system to be invalid will appear in your reports, but because advertisers are not charged for them, no associated revenue will be shown. Please rest assured that your account is being properly credited for all valid clicks and impressions.

Your forthrightness in addressing this issue is greatly appreciated and your account should remain in good standing.

Sincerely, 

XXXXXXX
    The Google AdSense Team

Code (markup):
    I felt alot better, my scroll wheel is what caused the click. I was horrified especially after reading everyone's warnings.

I would write them if I were you.

J

Jester, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  4. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I would recommend not emailing Google and telling them you click on your own ad(s)

just imo..

Shoemoney, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  5. imagerage

imagerage Peon

Best Answers:
    OK I am writing them now, I might install some program to block Google ads or maybe just block the Google ads URL from the HOSTS file. Did anyone try something like this before?

6. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
  7. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya, dont worry about it. I still disagree with emailing them as well.

City2, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  8. imagerage

imagerage Peon

Best Answers:
    ok, I won't email.

But Jester got this in the email after informing Google: "Your forthrightness in addressing this issue is greatly appreciated and your account should remain in good standing."

I'll try that Shoemoney, thanks.

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I'm glad I did. One less thing to worry about. :)

J

Jester, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  10. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I admire your honesty.

I just dont want anything in my adsense file that says "known to click own ads"

/me takes of tin foil hat

11. vprp

vprp Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, is one click on your own ads really that big of a big deal? I mean, I guess it depends on how many clicks your account receives but if you receive a hundred clicks a day, I don't think clicking on your own ad once will really matter. Even if you only receive one click a day, I don't think Google would look at one click as anything big.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

vprp, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  12. J.P

J.P Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I click on a ad by mistake a little while ago. Soon as I noticed that I had I also closed down the browser then e-mailed Adsense about this.

I explained what happened, said I know it's against the policy and give them a specific time on when it happened.

I got a e-mail back a few days later saying "It's against the terms to do so" and the click was noted, if there was a actual click at the specific time they would wipe it off (I'm still unsure if I did or didn't) and said thats for contacting them.

I can see people's points about not sending an e-mail, so upto the person in question really, I'm glad I did tell them though.

2p's worth

JP

J.P, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  13. Googles76

Googles76 Peon

Best Answers:
    With the amount of publishers Google has, if everyone clicked on their own ads at least once a day, it would cost them a lot of money, so yes, they take it seriously. You probably won't get banned from doing it once, but try not to make mistakes like this.

Googles76, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  14. bluelarva

bluelarva Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea. I did this recently too. I was very sleepy and I wasn't paying much attention. I saw an interesting ad and clicked on it and then realized it was my own ad! I emailed google about it immediately and they replied back to me next day telling me everything is ok. Now I'm very careful about where I click.

bluelarva, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  15. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I am so suprised you all email google and tell them you click on ads...

Good for you guys I guess I am just waaaaaaaaay to paranoid

16. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd rather have
    in my adsense file than
    And yes they know it was you. (unless you go to another computer on another IP to check your adsense account) If your IP wasn't enough, think cookies. (or do you delete your cookies right before accidentally clicking an ad? :D) Yes I think they are hyperactively over-monitoring all this. It is vital to the continued success of the network.

exam, Jul 24, 2005 IP
    Josh likes this.
  17. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    It's just my opinion, but if you are paranoid you *would* mail them. Or is the analysis in my previous post erroneous? Definitely open to opinions :)

EDIT: Didn't want to triple-post, so this is an edit. Thinking about this, even if you use an IP exclusively for logging into yoru Adsense account, and always cleared your cookies, it still wouldn't be that far-fetched to think they would monitor the gegraphic location that matches the IP, check the physical location you have on your Adsense account, and have a formula for *guessing* if you clicked your ads based on location and gross amount of clicks. In other words, if you get say, 5 clicks a day, (new acct) and 1 comes from your physical location, and this happens a lot, they would probably conclude (correctly or not) that it's you. Or am I way off :D

exam, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  18. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    definatly multiple ways to look at it....

I think its good you guys give them reason to investigate your account. Keeps them off my back =P

19. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I sure wasn't able to change your mind, was I :D But I still think we shouldn't underestimate Google's ability to *know* (it's supernatural.. /heading for bomb shelter) Also in the majority of situations, you'll never be docked for being honest. (at least that's the way it *should* be)

exam, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  20. someonewhois

someonewhois Peon

Best Answers:
    Uh, if you're paranoid, you DEFINITELY should e-mail them. E-mailing them tells them you made a mistake, you're sorry, you didn't mean it, etc.. Not e-mailing them leaves your account in jeapordy, as if they spot the click, they could get suspicious without an explanation.

someonewhois, Jul 24, 2005 IP