1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo Update - with sandbox too?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by iskandar, Jul 20, 2005.

This new yahoo update is frustrating for me.

First because it appears that yahoo is trying to apply sandbox like google, penalising new sites although the sites offer relevant and high quality pages.

Second because instead of being replaced by good pages, the ones that are replacing my good SERPS are pages that are sometimes funny and irrelevant.

Some examples are like avocado benefit ( highly uncompetitive to show how ridiculous new update is), the no 3 result has nothing to do with the fruit!. It is a school page that has the word "benefit" in it.

Welcome
    ... THE BENEFIT CONCERT FOR THE SANTA MONICA/MALIBU UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT WAS INCREDIBLE ... A benefit concert to support music programs in the Santa Monica Title I elementary schools ...
    www.guacfund.org -

Or for chinese acupuncture , you'll see this result at no 20 ( from 1.9 million pages ). Even at no 20, this is a highly irrelevant result...

Virtual Internet
    Internet service provider offers domain name registration, managed hosting, dedicated servers.
    Category: Internet Service Providers (ISPs) > United Kingdom
    www.vi.net -

I see my ranks go from top ones to nowhere to be seen, only to be replaced by a lot of spammer pages or stupid pages. I don't mind being dropped from SERP if these pages are better. It's annoying when they are irrelevant.

It appears that the more keyword you stuff, the higher you'll be. Or sometimes, the more irrelevant your page is the higher you'll be. Even for the keyword stupid yahoo the no 1 is not as relevant as the the rest ..

What a joke. At this moment the update is a disaster. Yaho is joining msn ....I hope the result would be better at the end of this update

iskandar, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  2. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    True, Yahoo needs to change their game plan. Although I am very happy with the update, I had many websites i forgot about that managed to rank top 10 for HUGE Keywords I was targeting but it doesnt deserve the rank

City2, Jul 20, 2005 IP
    iskandar likes this.
  3. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I respect that honesty City2. Not many pl would confess like you. A great gentleman you are.

iskandar, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  4. eclipse

eclipse Peon

Best Answers:
    For over 4 months i suspected that yahoo has some sort of sandbox filter. My new sites where nowhere to be found or hovering at #30-60 for all keywords (this was strange). I worked my ass off to get a lot of links, but i didn't seem to help. This update is superb for my 6 months old sites, newer site still are nowhere to be found.

eclipse, Jul 21, 2005 IP
  5. PinoyIto

PinoyIto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure when we said new site if the old of the site being there or how long it was index... because I have 7 months site but only index by yahoo 3 weeks ago and rank high most of the keyword for the past 2 weeks after the 20th update all keywords drop and can't find any where from top 1 to 1000.

It's really hard to understand yahoo algo.

PinoyIto, Jul 21, 2005 IP
  6. Zinho

Zinho Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems to me that anyone can create a page with strong seo efforts on it and start coop-ing it for 3-4 months to get top serps.
    I'm just a hobbyist but yahoo serp seems easier the google to manipulate into relatively little time.

Zinho, Jul 21, 2005 IP
  7. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hope patience is the key here. As it was said in the yahoo blog, the update will be about a few weeks so they are not through yet with this update.
    Considering the amount of stupid pages that pop up to the top of the ranking, i believe we will see a great volatility in yahoo SERP in this few weeks.
    I really hope that good content site will get the last laugh instead of those spammers. If not, it would certainly be a sad day for a lot of serious content-builder webmaster.
    If that happens, i will have to start building super-spammer site to get the traffic ...

iskandar, Jul 21, 2005 IP
  8. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This update sucks IMO.

I can see sites with lower onpage, lower backlinks out performing quality sites.

For this update I think age is an important factor. Does anybody have great ranking for a new website in somewhat competetive field ?

Regards,
    Tuning

Tuning, Jul 21, 2005 IP
  9. redmachine76

redmachine76 Peon

Best Answers:
    my 2 weeks old site got around 200 pages indexed by yahoo but did't show up in SERP...

redmachine76, Jul 21, 2005 IP
  10. maha

maha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a 2 month old site (forum) that have very little back links, no SEO work, ranked #2 in Yahoo.

maha, Jul 21, 2005 IP
  11. bryanong

bryanong Peon

Best Answers:
    hmm..my clients site doesn;t seem to be affected..they are rank pretty well in yahoo without much of the sandbox effect

bryanong, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  12. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think so too. I've changed my opinion a few times so far as to what may be happening, site age may be the key.

The other possibility is a 'too many links too quick' type of filter. And the third possibility seems to be keyword density.

I slipped from #1 to #3. My one year old site has been #1 since Dec '04. I lowered kw density and doubled BLs. The two ahead of me now have been online for 8 years or more.

/*tom*/

longcall911, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  13. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will say it again and again.. Yahoo and MSN do not have a sandbox. I only need 3 maybe 4 weeks to start ranking in MSN and I can rank in Yahoo after 3 months (they seem to just be slow.) :rolleyes:

Web Gazelle, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  14. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What about well settled sites once ranked well and currently nowhere ? :confused:

Tuning, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  15. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think your avatar says it all when it comes to questions like that. ;)

Web Gazelle, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  16. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I've not experienced any negative effects with yahoo on sites that have been up for over a year, but have had difficulting with newer sites. I've had sites rank in the top ten for highly competitive keywords for about 7 weeks, only to be deindexed without any changes. I've seen very spammy sites ranking #1, only to be replaced by newer spammy sites. It's almost like sites are able to rank well for a month or two and then yahoo flags them as too spammy.

I also have a site that is still ranking in the top ten for a highly competive keyword even though the site doesn't have anything to do, or even mention the keyword for the last 6 months as I moved the product to another site at a different host. The only place that mentions the keyword is a DMOZ listing and I don't want to attempt changing my DMOZ listing. The ranking doesn't bother me because it brings traffic, I just find it odd that Yahoo would include a site that hasn't had anything to do with the keyword for over six months- especially since it gets spidered by them almost daily.

mjewel, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  17. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One of my sites used to rank well in yahoo. All pages indexed too. Its down to 5 pages indexed (from 32 yesterday). linkdomain still shows links to the site. Not sure what is up with yahoo. Not really bothered by it though.

lorien1973, Jul 28, 2005 IP