1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Article Marketing - a Gypsy rant

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by thegypsy, Jan 13, 2007.

I was chatting it up on PM and a member asked about Link Building... once I go to the Article Marketing part... I got thinking about something I had written a while ago...

So here it is for 'oseymour' and anyone else that finds it usefull

.... here ya go..seem where it takes us

thegypsy, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  2. Mihai

Mihai Active Member

Best Answers:
    Looking at article writing and distribution of these articles as we are all used to discuss in these forums here I can only think of shady pieces of content written from a sales point of view that are massively submitted to every living article directory.

This simply makes me have some serious second thoughts and ask myself - are these "pieces of content" called articles, if used as described above, get any other use then just a bit of PR increase ? I think not.

Looking at what you said in this thread, Harry, I think that you are very correct. I just have a small misunderstanding (maybe): Regardless of the quality of your article, if you submit it to article directories, isn't that the same level of exposure as a directory link submission ? I mean a small PR increase and almost no traffic ? Looking at it from the submissions point of view - its just about QUANTITY and not really about QUALITY in the end ... as the results are still a bit of PR and almost no traffic ...

That is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Regards

Mihai, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  3. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    You see... I get TONs of traffic for our clients as well as my own sites....

It all depends on the distribution channels. Sending it to a bunch of no-name diretories won't do much.. back links... sure a minor value

Get it published on an industry leading website... THEN you get the PR as well as the branding benefits

When it comes to the articles themselves I use a team of writers. THEN let my SEO team at it. Let writers write... and SEO people do SEO

A poorly written article won't get much syndication either... I wrote an article for a M8s website and it got picked up on SlashDot (wish I had put that on my site arg)... thing was picked up over 40 000 times my brutha.... and I at least got a ton of 'Brand' out of it... and a ton of secondary traffic from the author bios - yada yada

So it is a very viable tool for far more than simply back links... that is simply thinking INSIDE the box

thegypsy, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  4. Northie

Northie Peon

Best Answers:
    In summary, this is how article marketing works:

1 - a webmaster writes an article about his/her site/services with links to his/her site.
    2 - same webmaster submits the article to one of the 3 main article directories
    [at this point the author should forget about it and repeat steps 1 and 2, 10 times a week as a maximum]
    3 - article directory publishes article and places contextual advertising to earn money
    4 - SEs spider the article directory
    5 - 3rd party webmasters may use the content on their own sites as long as the content is not modified
    6 - SE's spider sites belonging to these 3rd party webmasters
    7 - SEs see lots of links to one site and give it good ranking
    8 - SEs see that all these links are identical, on very similar pages and reduce the weight given to these links
    9 - page on authors site drops out of the high rankings
    10 - repeat

questions you may be asking yourself, and the answers

Q. Why do all these other people want an article?
    A. To give a grounding of good content on a page on which to put contextual advertising (eg, AdSense)

Q. Why does the author/webmaster not publish the article?
    A. The article directories do not allow duplicate content - that is, the article directories must be the first place that the article is found on the internet. Publishing your own articles that have also been syndicated may invoke filters applied to you for your keywords.

Q. If, at the end of the day, it's all duplicate content; why bother?
    A. It's not the 'end of the day' that counts. one has to view this in 4 dimensions (time). To begin with there is no duplicate content AND some good quality links. That's why authors repeat the process to get a boost from a new article every few days. Out of the 1000s of quality links that can easily be amassed within a short space of time, only the most recent ones hold much weight.

Northie, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  5. Dassie

Dassie Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the info guys.

PEace

Dassie, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  6. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the info gypsy and northie

oseymour, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  7. Angelus

Angelus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good summary Northie, thanks :)

p.l.u.r.

Angelus, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  8. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks

he he... tag team affair .. North and I are commin!

thegypsy, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  9. mjesales

mjesales Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a pretty good summary - anyone care if i post this to my articlesnatch blog?

mjesales, Jan 17, 2007 IP
  10. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    thegypsy, Jan 17, 2007 IP