1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long did it take Google to index you?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by toocoolforschool, Jul 15, 2005.

Some people might know my problem, I've posted it here for the last month and change: I moved all my content over to another domain name a month and a half ago, and I'm still not showing up in Google's index. I've made sure to get BLs from high-ranking PR sites (about a dozen or so initially, then more as the month wore on), I'm in the DMOZ, and I've submitted my sitemap. While Google's spider does visit my site, the most it's ever done is spider 10 pages a day (and that's only for the last couple of days, before that it was one page a day, if that). And with the recent PR update, not a single thing is happening with my site in regards to Google (if anything, Google's spider didn't even visit my site yesterday, and still no signs of it yet today). The reason why I'm so desperate to get into Google is this -- when I had my old domain, I have such unique content that I invariably end up at the very top of Google's searches, so much so taht Google basically accounted for almost 90% of my visitors. It may be foolish to rely so much on them, but it was purely accidental; I never SEO'ed my site, never did anything to try to get higher SERPs, etc. It just happened because I had a lot of original, unique content.

After a month and a half, and not a single presence on Google -- no viable BLs have yet to show up, I'm not even listed, etc, I'm considering moving everything over to a new domain name and starting over. My very uneducated and paranoid guess is that something has happened with my domain, that I must have done something wrong when I transferred the content over to my new domain name, that got me banned or on Google's bad side. So, I'm thinking about starting all over again.

With that said, can anyone give me any indications that I'm just being paranoid, that I should just wait it out? I.e. How long did it take Google to index YOUR site? Even just a little bit? Even if its anecdotal, that's all I want, to get your thoughts on my situation. Did it take you guys longer than a month and a half to appear in Google? How long did it take your BLs to appear, etc. Let me make it clear: at this point all I desire is to get listed on Google.

Please offer up some experiences. I need to know how you guys fared, so I can gauge my own experiences in getting listed.

Thanks.

toocoolforschool, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  2. Wessel

Wessel Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm just on a limp here, but it could very well be that you re-registered a domain that has been blacklisted in Google and expired after that.

But then again, i'm just on a guessing spree :)

Wessel, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  3. chiefshuddle

chiefshuddle Banned

Best Answers:
    It took almost 5 months to even show my primary domain and almost a year to get anything of any substance when I changed domains.

Yahoo still after a year has only 4 pages indexed.

chiefshuddle, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  4. someonewhois

someonewhois Peon

Best Answers:
    I've gotten a few hundred pages indexed within 2-5 days, and a few thousand within a week and a bit. Just feed it backlinks, and you're good to go.

someonewhois, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  5. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Every site I've have gets at least some pages indexed by google within 2 weeks. Yahoo is a different story, I don't know what their problem is. I'm running a test with yahoo right now to see if having adsense on a new site has something to do with it.

Also, what do your urls look like? Are they static html or dynamic?

mjewel, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  6. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, that's weird. Yahoo has indexed about 25 pages so far (they started with 8 almost immediately, as in a few days later). MSN has indexed almost half of my site's 9000 pages. Google hasn't even touched me.

As to my URL, I'm not sure what you mean by is it static hml or dynamic. It's just, you know, a regular page. I add content every other day. It's all original content. I don't rss feed it or anything. Well, I do RSS feed, but only headline topics from my board and blog. Woudl that make a difference?

7. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    That's the thing. I have some very high ranking BLs that I established almost a month ago, but Google doesn't even recognize them as viable BLs (re: "real" BLs). If I search for my page using quotes, it clearly shows that my BLs exist on those other sites, except nothing shows up using "link:" or "allinurl:". So I can only assume that Google HAS crawled the pages where my link shows up, it just won't do anything with them.

8. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    P.S. In case anyone was wondering, I have no friggin idea why my post was moved from the Google forum to this one by the mods. Not a clue. The thread of my topic and the description of this forum doesn't even seem to exist in the same universe.

9. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:

I mean what do the urls look like? Are the real long with "?" and session id's in them? Google has gotten pretty good at following dynamic urls, but I think some urls are still hard for them to follow. Have you done a sitemap that has a link to it from the home page? Use a program like Xneu to find all your urls, then create a page with a link to all the urls you want spidered. You can use a small transparent gif and make it a link to this page. Visitors can't see this link, but the search engines will follow the links on the page "sitemap.html". It is just a way to make it easier for the robots to find all the links you want spidered. You can use css to control the size of the font for the links.

mjewel, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  10. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:

I mean what do the urls look like? Are they non-search engine friendly, i.e. real long with "?" and session id's in them? Google has gotten pretty good at following dynamic urls, but I think some urls are still hard for them to follow. Have you done a sitemap that has a link to it from the home page? Use a program like Xneu to find all your urls, then create a page with a link to all the urls you want spidered. You can use a small transparent gif and make it a link to this page. Visitors can't see this link, but the search engines will follow the links on the page "sitemap.html". It is just a way to make it easier for the robots to find all the links you want spidered. You can use css to control the size of the font for the links.

mjewel, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  11. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    toocool, i share your pain. Check out rockforums.net (typical search: rock forums) on MSN, Yahoo and then Google. My site's been around since January. I have no idea what's causing this poo-pooing but i'm not best pleased about it!

bradley, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  12. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Your site has no google backlinks. That's the main problem. The other problem is that your forum uses session id's. You should look into making modifications so the URL's don't show when the bot's visit it.

This is for phpbb, but I'm sure someone has something similar for IBP.

http://www.devside.net/web/config/phpBB

mjewel, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  13. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow this is it? I was sure I'd get more responses. But I guess the fact that the mods buried my topic in this totally unrelated category didn't help. Thanks, Mod. Great work.

toocoolforschool, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  14. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    mjewel, check Yahoo and MSN. Google is deliberately refusing to acknowledge any backlinks as valid. do a google search for "http://www.rockforums.net" if you don't believe me! I realise some of them are nofollow, such as the Wikipedia ones, but many are certainly valid ones, in msn and yahoo at least!

not sure what i've done to incur Google's wrath. Also, I'm not sure I have SID's - are you sure?

EDIT: just noticed some very odd Google behaviour

1) search for "http://www.rockforums.net" - notice just two results - tragedy!
    2) now search for "www.rockforums.net" - notice lots more results, and yet many are in fact proper links to "http://www.rockforums.net" - google is deliberately ignoring the 'http://' part! Very puzzling indeed!

bradley, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  15. deeman

deeman Guest

Best Answers:
    After a month that i've submitted my personal site pages, I'm having the same problem with Google search, although my link show up when i search for my page complete address. Yahoo on the other hand is excellent tho, there's only one me and i'm right on top of the list, just like the way it should be. I guess i'll try to submit my pages again to Google, Backlink and sitemap this time, i'll let you know what happens

By the way, where is your site at with Google now?

deeman, Sep 18, 2005 IP
  16. deeman

deeman Guest

Best Answers:
    oh and Msn seacrh is totally ignoring me like i'm a piece of shit
    you know what can be frustrating with this is the one's that shows up in search engines are the ones ADVERTISING you , but NOT you :)

deeman, Sep 18, 2005 IP
  17. ridaalhasan

ridaalhasan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm also having problems with my site www.outsourcingsw.com. After a couple of months, neither Google nor Yahoo seem to have included it. Are there any suggestions to what I should do?

ridaalhasan, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  18. ServiceUptime

ServiceUptime Peon

Best Answers:
    ServiceUptime, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  19. Highwire

Highwire Banned

Best Answers:
    It took me like 5-7 days to index 100+ pages

Highwire, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  20. chawlars

chawlars Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have also suffered the same fate and my experience is that you wont get the answer. Google does not answer any such query, have their own secret alogarithm. I all forums, what we hear is the individual perception of the writer based on what he has experienced personally for his site and not from authenticated google relase
    RSC

chawlars, Nov 30, 2005 IP