1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should Google Include Digg Listings?

Discussion in 'Google' started by WeRASkitzzo, Jan 3, 2007.

There's a big debate brewing about whether or not Google should return Digg results in their listings? Its not like they offer unique content...

Search Engine Journal covered the start of the debate and I've written up a blog post with even more details.

What does everyone think?

WeRASkitzzo, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  2. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    why not? they show bizrate, shopping.com and they don't offer anything unique either.

lorien1973, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  3. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's better that Digg does because it directs users to the top leading articles while those specific sites may not have the authority to rank as high as Digg does. I think in the end it does benefit the site that the article is on

fsmedia, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  4. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    how often does a digg page rank higher than the original article?

ahkip, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  5. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    very often from what I've seen

fsmedia, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  6. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Digg is a great site to get linked back from

Brandon Sheley, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  7. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    mvandemar, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  8. WeRASkitzzo

WeRASkitzzo Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, Digg outranks things most of the time (unless you have a really strong site) or get a lot of links to your article.

In the article I proposed a sort of compromise in which Google would list Digg and the other SB sites as sub-listings of the original content. What do you guys think?

9. titoni

titoni Active Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously digg is google's favorite .

titoni, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  10. WeRASkitzzo

WeRASkitzzo Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure but the question is, should it be? With all the new social bookmarking sites becoming more and more popular, I think we're well on our way to seeing SERPs dominated by these sites.

I mean, taken to the extreme, Google could basically be providing Digg and Reddit and all the rest a way to get their foot in the door and become a new Search Engine of sorts (although Digg's current search function kind of stinks). Either way it's definitely something to consider.

11. titoni

titoni Active Member

Best Answers:
    Both contents and links of Digg and Reddit are fresh. and popular. . Maybe fresh and popular are more important than duplicate

titoni, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  12. Monty

Monty Peon

Best Answers:
    Digg is a web site, Google index web sites.
    There is no reason why Digg pages shouldn't be indexed.
    But if Google do is job right, there is no reasons for a page from Digg to rank higher than the original page.

Monty, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  13. WeRASkitzzo

WeRASkitzzo Peon

Best Answers:
    Right but from a searcher's standpoint, wouldn't you want to be taken to the original content, rather than have to click through again to get to the REAL content? I mean isnt that why people complained about directories dominating the SERPs? Isn't that a big complaint with MFA sites?

Yeah, I agree. I have no problem with the Digg pages being in the index, I just don't think they should be ranking as high as they do...

14. ScottFish

ScottFish Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I do agree with what most of you have said, but Here's my take on things....

Google will always strive to show the most relevant results. If digg has the best content regarding a keyword search, then they should be shown in google's SERPs. Just like wikipedia shows up often, any other site that has the latest and relevant info, should show up often.

ScottFish, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  15. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As a searcher point of view, I would like to see the "full story page" listed above in search engine result pages than a "short summary" of it.
    That would be useful for the end user, in this case the person searching...
    Bye :)

JEET, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  16. WeRASkitzzo

WeRASkitzzo Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure, i agree with that, I just don't see how a Digg page could be MORE relevant than the article or content the Digg page summarizes and links to. I mean maybe with all the comments but half the time those are a bunch of "You're an idiot. No YOU'RE an idiot" remarks...

Plus, Wikipedia is at least original content, not just a summary of another article.

17. ScottFish

ScottFish Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, I do see what you mean Skitzz...one answer could be that many of the new articles simply arent crawled and indexed yet. Digg users can sometimes be faster than Yahoo!

I do think that "first mover advantage" has a lot of weight in Google's eyes.

ScottFish, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  18. gabrielangel

gabrielangel Peon

Best Answers:
    If only Google's duplicate content filter worked correctly, then the original articles could rank higher than digg's. Digg is a dangerous place. It's easy for people to spam and it's tempting for non spammers to move towards the dark side.

gabrielangel, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  19. mani

mani Peon

Best Answers:
    Digg is secure in this case, because they ban the sites which spams.... and this is the best place for you to get backlinks for your site... one of my article related site have got a lots of visitors and backlinks from dig... if you got a dig from a top user then you are lucky because you will be at high PR profile page of that digger :D

mani, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  20. WeRASkitzzo

WeRASkitzzo Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I don't know that it really WOULD keep digg ranks down. I mean all in all the duplicated content is minimal (unless of course a digger copies the whole post over as I mentioned). But even then, you've got all the normal digg code and content, plus a summary, plus who knows how many comments (if the story becomes popular that can be a lot) that are all original and unique content.

I just don't see how those comments and the rest of the unique content, can, by definition, be more relevant than the article or content the Digg page links too....

@Mani, Digg certainly does provide good links, but this isn't a one or the other discussion. Couldn't you get both a good link, AND the higher ranking in the SERPs? Plus, which would you rather have if you could choose only one? A link that might bring you an instant boost in (fairly low quality) traffic, or a top ranking in google for whatever subject your article is about? I think I'd pick the top ranking most of the time since Digg's traffic rarely does anything but shut my server down.

</rant>

WeRASkitzzo, Jan 4, 2007 IP