1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Exchange and Outlook - Multiple Addresses

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by bconnelly, Jul 12, 2005.

I just setup Exchange in my office for the first time and realized that Outlook will only allow you to send email from one address. I can recieve from an unlimited amount but only the primary address can be used to send. Weird huh? Microsoft says they are addressing this in their next version of Outlook when ever that is.

What are some solutions that people are using to send from multiple addresses?

Thanks!

bconnelly, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  2. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I solved the Outlook problem before it started...I've never owned an IBM ;)

Seriously though, that is weak (and by "that" I mean "Microsoft"). The mail program that came with my G5 allows to send/receive from multiple addresses, which is good, otherwise I wouldn't be able to run my business properly.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help Benjamin! Any one else have any suggestions?

ViciousSummer, Jul 13, 2005 IP
  3. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mozilla Thunderbird is way ahead I think. Their spamfilter is quite good and lots of other features as well. And you can send from any adress you have configured.

Perrow, Jul 13, 2005 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  4. bconnelly

bconnelly Guest

Best Answers:
    Outlook out of the box allows for you to send from multiple addreses if they are POP3 or IMAP addresses. The problem arises if you add the MS mail server, Exchange, into the mix.

The way Exchange works is that you have one mailbox per Active Directory username and then "virtual" SMTP maps your addresses to to this one box. It is actually really (god am I giving MS a compliment?) organized and quite crafty.

The issue is that you can only have one "From", one "Reply to", and one "Reply as" addresses if you are using Exchange because Outlook only allows for one Exchange account to be configured.

The (half assed) work around -

Configure your additional addresses as POP3. Use giberish as your incoming mail server, use your exchange server as your SMTP server, then set SMTP authentication to "domain\username" so you can send mail.

While this does allow for you to now choose which account you are sending from, you will recieve an error everytime you check your mail whch really does suck.

I hope this helps someone!

bconnelly, Jul 13, 2005 IP
  5. WizzDK

WizzDK Peon

Best Answers:
    Greetings from Denmark!

Bconnelly: Indeed your post helped someone, namely me. :D
    Thanks to bconnelly and Google for pointing me in the direction.

Just one addition; The last part you mention:
    Can be fixed like so: (Tested in Outlook 2003)
    Tools -> Options... -> Mail setup -> Send/Recieve... -> Edit... (on All Accounts):
    Uncheck the check-box for "Recieve mail items" for the correct email-account (selected on the left).

This will give you a send-only account, that won't pop-up, since there's no POP3 error any longer.

Cheers!

WizzDK, Apr 5, 2006 IP
  6. MakeItTakeIt

MakeItTakeIt Peon

Best Answers:
    I have this same problem with multiple email addresses and as a short term rig I just had them all forwarded to my yahoo mail then I would log in and respond to them on my websites webmail. This was a slow and ineffecient process. I found that yahoo will allow you to receive up to one other email address to your yahoo if you have the pay email account. It works great and when you respond it is from the address you want it to come from. I have tried thunderbird but haven't got it to work for me. I have even tried thunderbird to access my pop3 yahoo email and that didn't work. I love Mozilla but this product is pissing me off

MakeItTakeIt, Apr 5, 2006 IP
  7. mantis108

mantis108 Peon

Best Answers:
    IvaSoft.biz has programs that allow you to send from multiple email addresses in an Outlook/Exchange environment. ChooseFrom goes on the Exchange Server and SmartReply goes on the OL client. Work great, I've used them for years now.

mantis108, Dec 6, 2008 IP