1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can we rewrite & use information from answers.com, yahoo answers, ehow etc.

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by momi, Oct 7, 2010.

Hi,

I have started a new website related to articles, information and how tos. My question is:

Can we take content ideas and use information from answers.com, yahoo answers, blurtit, ehow and other such sites on our own websites. I mean can I take an idea from there and then rewrite their articles & Information and post them on my website?

Please give your suggestions.

Thanks
    momi

momi, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  2. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    why not. as long as it don't look as ifyoure copying then it good.

etc, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  3. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    sure, why not.

Just so you know that I am not an atty, and I could care less if you go to jail or get sued.

dscurlock, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  4. momi

momi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And should I need to insert a backlink to them in such articles?? And should it be dofollow??

momi, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  5. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    You can't use someone else's content unless they give you permission to.

contentboss, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  6. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as you have permission from answers.com, yahoo answers, ehow etc then it is fine..... I suspect they won't give it.

AstarothSolutions, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  7. pbmann1213

pbmann1213 Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as you're not directly directly copying the article it's not illegal.

pbmann1213, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  8. xtazi35

xtazi35 Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you can without a problem.

xtazi35, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  9. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:
    Although it may seem like quibbling, you can use someone's content whether or not that person consents. What you cannot do is copy the content. Copyright law does not protect the ideas behind the content, only the way the author chose to present those ideas.

So if you get an idea from a Yahoo! Answers question and select an answer, and then express both the question and answer in your own words, you are fine. Even if the author did research and analysis leading to his answer, you can use his research and analysis. If you copy the question or answer, even making a few minor changes, then you are infringing the author's copyright.

Business Attorney, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  10. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    not strictly true. Many countries have the concept of 'derivative work'. Search for it on Google if you want to understand the topic better.

contentboss, Oct 11, 2010 IP
  11. mikemiller1

mikemiller1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if u want to directly copy paste - u might have to use quotations and provide source.
    if u want to paraphrase it - ie rewrite in ur own words than u dont have to provide source

mikemiller1, Oct 11, 2010 IP
  12. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is NOT correct. You are NOT free to use copyrighted material simply by attributing material to the original source.

There is a concept known as "fair use" that allows you to use portions of the material, such as in a review, where you would need to credit the source, but fair use doesn't allow you to copy the whole thing and use it simply by citing the original source.

Business Attorney, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  13. momi

momi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh...Can I take idea from someone else's content and write it in my own words without citing the source??

momi, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  14. nifty87

nifty87 Member

Best Answers:
    As long as you rewrite them, you should be fine, but i don't understand why would you want to do it, except for ehow, none of the above mentioned sites provide much information. You could take ideas from there and then do it the old school way i.e. go on google and search about it there. Since, it's your own site, it becomes all the more important that you give quality and not look for shortcuts.

nifty87, Oct 22, 2010 IP
  15. SH - Conor

SH - Conor Peon

Best Answers:
    If you take an answer like "Digitalpoint forums are the best. Its a nice community, lots of activity and you can learn some cool tricks"
    To
    "Digital has nice forum. Lots of nice people, and you can even learn a few things"

You wouldn't be doing nothing wrong, but if you copied it exactly or close to exactly, it would be illegal.

SH - Conor, Oct 22, 2010 IP
  16. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    that about sums it up. the reason yahoo answers etc gets scraped so much is that technically, the copyright doesn't belong to yahoo. It belongs to the answer writer. And you're pretty unlikely to be sued by an individual over a 50 word sentence. Having said that, as the poster above so eloquently put it, I'm no atty, and could care less whether you get sued.

contentboss, Oct 22, 2010 IP
  17. adi12

adi12 Active Member

Best Answers:
    of course you can re-write the content.

yahoo is even offering an API for searching their huge database of questions and answers.

adi12, Nov 8, 2010 IP
  18. themoneyoracle

themoneyoracle Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi.

Generally, I think as long as you aren't copying it word for word then you are probably ok. But to be on the safe side, have a look at the definition for plagiarism

1. the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.
    2. something used and represented in this manner.

* Obtained from: http://dictionary.reference.com/

Just research a few different sites offering the same info..........afterall, the hardest thing will be for them to prove that you have copied their work!

themoneyoracle, Nov 17, 2010 IP