1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I created a fan page . . . but name I gave it turned out differently - - why?

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by dinrock, Oct 7, 2010.

This is my main FB page.
    But you cannot get FBML on a personal page, only a fan page. So I launched a fan page and after name it....there appeared a long string of numbers after the name I gave it plus a #!/pages before the actual name of my page. Why? And is there a way to delete all that mumbo-jumbo so it just reads the actual name of the page?
    Here is the fan page in question.

dinrock, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  2. Master Directory

Master Directory Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    what is this this fb page purpose?

Master Directory, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  3. dinrock

dinrock Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To popularize my services and a daily image I offer to webmasters and web designers - I do all of this on a fulltime basis.

dinrock, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  4. mrkool

mrkool Active Member

Best Answers:
    mrkool, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  5. dinrock

Best Answers:
    OK, I went to that page and it did not help. I go to http://www.facebook.com/username and a page opens with my FB URL as in the attached screenshot: (OK...now I see I can't attach one). Anyway, I go to the /username page and my page there is shown under YOUR USERNAME HAS BEEN SET. Now, under EACH PAGE CAN HAVE A USERNAME in that dropdown list, my name for this page is listed is visible but this is my FAN page (with all those numbers after it. I click the "check availability" button, and of course, it is not clicable. So, now what do I do, to eliminate all those numbers you see that are visible after it, still?

dinrock, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  6. dinrock

Best Answers:
    To make it short...I have my regular page. But here is my fan page (which I want to add FBML on). But on my fan page, how to erase / delete all those numbers after it?

dinrock, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  7. mrkool

mrkool Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is because you have one fan in your fan page. Increase your fans to become eligible for clean fanpage url

mrkool, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  8. mrkool

mrkool Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here are some points you need to know:
    - You should have at least 25 fans of your page.
    - You can't change your URL after it was set.
    - You can't sell it.
    - Facebook usernames will be available in basic text forms.
    - You can only choose a single username for each of the Pages that you administer.
    - The Page username must be at least five characters in length and only include alphanumeric characters (A-Z, 0-9), or a period or full stop (".").
    - Generic words (e.g. restaurant) are not available as options for Facebook usernames

(Source: http://imthekiller.blogspot.com/2010/09/how-to-get-clean-url-for-your-facebook.html)

mrkool, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  9. peterjim

peterjim Peon

Best Answers:
    This URL make your fan page helpful to easy to remain

peterjim, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  10. ListBuildingForNewbies

ListBuildingForNewbies Peon

Best Answers:
    I thank everyone on this thread for giving great advice – I've benefitted from it as well.

Dan, I've had a look at your Facebook profile page and fan page and I must say I'm impressed. I've already sent you a friend request ;-)
    I also got a quick glimpse at your website http://www.danscartoons.com/

I only wanted to ask you – why haven't you got a logo? You could have it trademarked which is an important part in building a brand. I really like your cartoons and I'm sure many others do as well.

ListBuildingForNewbies, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  11. ListBuildingForNewbies

Best Answers:

I've also haven't had any success with this feature – so it helps to know that I'm not the only one ;-)
    I've been too busy to bother about reporting this problem to the Facebook support team. But, no doubt someone will take the time to do so. Maybe someone has already, and the issue is being taken care of. I'll just wait and see for the moment.

ListBuildingForNewbies, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  12. dinrock

Best Answers:
    Hi ListBuildingFN: Thanks for your insights & thoughts. I realize one big thing....to get this to work in our favor, we need to FIRST: get 25 fans added (which I myself don't) - so my question is this: since I already have almost 2,000 followers for my page here. What would you suggest I do to get 25 fans for this page here?
    As for a logo, I do have one atop my main page (in my signature) and the guy sitting at the drawing table on those two FB pages. In fact, logos are my specialty as I have done alot of them....so it is ironic you mention this - ha! Forgot: My Main Page!

dinrock, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  13. mrkool

mrkool Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is your personal page not fan page,
    http://www.facebook.com/danscartoons

To qualify to get short clean url you need to get atleast 25 fans.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cartoons-For-Licensing/140248492675378?ref=ts

mrkool, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  14. dinrock

Best Answers:
    Exactly MrKool...the personal page has over 1800 "friends" and my fan page is the one with all those numbers after the URL. Now, I understand. And I need to get over 25 "fans" added to that new page, in order to get rid of that long string of numbers, correct? So, how next....would you suggest is the best way to get 25 fans? This will be appreciated.

dinrock, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  15. mrkool

mrkool Active Member

Best Answers:
    Start with Facebook Like button/Box for your fanpage on your website,
    (http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like-box)

mrkool, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  16. ListBuildingForNewbies

Best Answers:

Someone in another forum said that the best way to get more fans for one's fan page is to politely ask your facebook friends to "like" your fan page. And I think this is the best answer to this question I've seen. The trick is to ask politely and humbly for a favor and then the other party will be willing to help. The human factor is always the most important factor when it comes to these kind of things.

ListBuildingForNewbies, Oct 10, 2010 IP
  17. dinrock

Best Answers:
    That certainly does makes sense LBFN. I surely agree & think I will try that. No doubt I thought of it....but wasn't sure if it went against FB's policies or not. I just wasn't certain, although I appreciate your input. I'll also do what Kool said & try putting that "like" button on my web pages.

dinrock, Oct 10, 2010 IP
  18. ListBuildingForNewbies

Best Answers:

The logo with the guy sitting at the drawing table is a very compelling logo for your business. I like it very much. As the saying goes: One picture is worth a thousand words. Frankly, I always get my first impression of a business from the way the logo looks.

19. dinrock

Best Answers:
    Haha! Glad that catches your eye....I have had it on my facebook page a long time and instead of changing it all the time like many people do on changing their profile pic, I think it is better to leave it as is and it will better embed itself in visitors minds.

dinrock, Oct 10, 2010 IP
  20. ListBuildingForNewbies

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with this. I also never change my profile picture for the same reason. On a psychological level the icon I chose for my profile has a latent message that is then in the subconscious mind of those who see it, associated with me, my name and my business. So if I have a picture of my pet as my profile picture, people will remember me as an animal lover.