1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Update: Easy Deep Linking with RSS Feeds

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Cryogenius, Dec 10, 2006.

In September, I posted a thread titled "How To: Easy Deep Linking with RSS Feeds". I decided it was time to update it, as some of my original suggestions haven't turned out so well.

Recap: There are a number of syndication services on the web that will display an RSS feed as a web page. These will typically contain deep-links to pages on to the originating website, which is a valuable source of backlinks. Advantages of this technique include:
    • Each syndicated page is updated automatically, either periodically or on request, so the content is always fresh.
    • The page title will (usually) match the title of the feed, and therefore contain the same keywords.
    • Sometimes the URL will also include keywords from the feed title.
    • RSS feeds contain snippets of text, which get displayed on the syndicated page.
    • This means that the majority of the content on the page comes directly from the RSS feed.
    • Each link within the RSS feed will be displayed using the title of the item as the anchor text.
    Here is my top list of syndication services, limited to one that are actually indexed and cached by Google. Until any syndication of a feed is picked up by a search engine, it's no use to you. Sites are listed in descreasing order of PageStrength:

These remaining sites will theoretically appear in search results, but my test pages haven't been indexed by Google yet.
    What about those other services I mentioned? Well, www.Technorati.com and www.Syndic8.com are important places to get your RSS feed listed, but they've taken steps to prevent you getting any deep-links from them. And, it seems to me that Search Engines really don't like indexing any URLs that include another URL as a parameter, which rules out any use of www.rss2html.com. I hope to be proved wrong about this last point...

Anyway, hope people find this useful... [​IMG] I keep meaning to write this up as an article, but I just can't seem to find the time.

Cryo.

Cryogenius, Dec 10, 2006 IP
    flagday, blabla11, SEOBoy and 6 others like this.
  2. flagday

flagday Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice tips, thanks. I'm going to work on this for my site.

flagday, Dec 10, 2006 IP
  3. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    have you point any link to those page?

ahkip, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  4. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    Cryogenius, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  5. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the links - excellent work. I was looking at the "experiment" page, but it does not accept feeds yet? When I tried to enter mine, it said it was only accepting local feeds. Just curious - sounds interesting.

Phynder, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  6. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I 've just tag all my RSS feed page with 30 different social bookmark site (all those social bookmark page are indexed by Google). Let see what happened.

BTW, here is my Squidoo page

ahkip, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  7. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah - I wanted to prove to myself that it worked before I opened it up, otherwise it would just waste everyone's time. So far it doesn't. I have also got a couple issues with it, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

I've bookmarked a few feeds on del.icio.us and Yahoo! MyWeb, in the vain hope that a search engine will pick them up... Meanwhile, I have my Squidoo lenses are here.

Cryo. [OP]

Cryogenius, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  8. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm going to add Bloglines (PageStrength 6/10) as a potential resource, however it's a bit tricky to get indexed. You can share your feeds, and get a page like this one - annoyingly this is mostly driven by Javascript so it's not much use. The page you really need is this one, and you need to create a link to it. All three main search engines appear to index these pages ok, but they haven't got round to indexing mine yet.

Something that seems to get indexed more quickly is the blog page (PS 5.5/10). However, you need to manually add items to it from your feeds. "Clippings" aren't worth using at all (from an SEO point of view).

Cryo. [OP]

Cryogenius, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  9. SEOBoy

SEOBoy Banned

Best Answers:
    great list mate...

RSS Feeds do work a lot in this case.

SEOBoy, Dec 23, 2006 IP
  10. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    Time to share some more ways of using your RSS Feeds to generate links.

In my original post, I mentioned Squidoo as good site for getting backlinks. I've recently found another: HubPages. Just like Squidoo, you create pages about a topic, and populate it with modules such as text, photo and Amazon, and show Google ads. Both of them also provide an RSS module, so you can display links and snippets. Remove all other modules and you have a simple syndication service. Or, you can capitalise on the revenue earning potential that these sites have.

Here are a couple examples which I knocked together last night:
    >> Xbox 360 vs PS3 and Digital Photography Guides. (PageStrength 2.5/10)

If you already have an account with Squidoo, then you might want to have a look at HubPages as well. It's very similar, but not as advanced, and you do need to have your own Adsense, Amazon and eBay affiliate accounts. (If you haven't tried Squidoo yet, then you should try that too - it's really great fun once you get into it).

Cheers, Cryo. [OP]

Cryogenius, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  11. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Cryo, how could i activate that page? I check all the option but can't find a way to publish my link like that

ahkip, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  12. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    Erm... I rummaged around in the HTML source to find that one. The easiest thing to do is take my link, and substitute your own account name.

Cryogenius, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  13. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    I've finally got around to creating a webpage dedicated to my research on this topic: Creating Deep Links with RSS Feeds. Be sure to visit it regulary as I will be keeping it up to date with any thing new that I discover.

Cryo.

Cryogenius, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  14. littlebobek

littlebobek Peon

Best Answers:
    Very nice post, thank you.

littlebobek, Jan 31, 2007 IP
  15. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the informative post, looks like i gotta get to work.

Bestmiler, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  16. livingearth

livingearth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to create an rss feed for my citypages which are built off a Db. How do I do this? Seems like this could be done with a single file. And linked to from the citypages passing the necessary variables. But I do not know the syntax...

livingearth, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  17. Roxyyo

Roxyyo Peon

Best Answers:
    HubPages is more generous than Squidoo with revenue sharing.

Roxyyo, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  18. hmpargi

hmpargi Active Member

Best Answers:
    gr8 post mate enjoyed

hmpargi, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  19. Nick_Mayhem

Nick_Mayhem Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nick_Mayhem, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  20. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon