1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help..Calling AdSense Gurus.

Discussion in 'Placement / Reviews / Examples' started by arjunprabhu, Jun 20, 2005.

Hi Folks,

I have been a reader of digital points for sometime now, and this is my first post.

I have this really wired problem with 'relevancy' of adsense ads. The ads that are displayed on some of my pages are not at all relevant and are related to blogs..

Let me explain with an example...

Url #1 http://www.arjunprabhu.com/blog/archives/2004/05/10/microsoft-sp2-will-run-on-pirated-windows-xp/

Url #2
    http://www.arjunprabhu.com/blog/archives/2004/05/10/

Basically both #1 and #2 have the same content.
    #1 is the permalink to the posting, and #2 is the archive for the day.

If you notice, the Ads for #2 are very relevant but not for #1.

The content is pretty old, and the googlebot has visited it for sometime now. I discovered this recently, and since then, i am wondering about this.

I also did a google search, and URL #1 has a PR 2, and URL #2 has a PR 0. So, that would mean that #1 is known by google much better then #2.

Why is this happening? And how to tweak the pages so that #1 shows more relevant ads. ?

Other examples..

URL #1 (not relevant)
    http://www.arjunprabhu.com/blog/archives/2005/03/09/virus-hits-instant-messengers/

URL #2 (relevant)
    http://www.arjunprabhu.com/blog/archives/2005/03/09/

Thanks in advance.

regards,
    Arjun

arjunprabhu, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  2. SHT

SHT Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you want, why not try block the blog ads, here is my current list of blog ads.

Seams to work for me. Also you mension words related to blogs such as 'posts' 'comments' 'blog' I did a quick count and the word blog was mentioned a few times. Also on the perma link one, there is a contact form already open which says

This is common on alot of blogs and maybe advertisers are using that.

I found a post over at ProBlogger which you may find helpful.

Hope that helps,
    Greg

SHT, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  3. arjunprabhu

arjunprabhu Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Greg. I have done some changes. Cleared up the HTML, tags etc.. also cleared up the footer. Tried to remove the word 'blog'...

But some of them are features. I think they should be a part of a blog. Eg : comment, or trackback etc.

Thanks again for the inputs. Will have to wait for sometime to see if it really work.

4. Sjorritsma

Sjorritsma Peon

Best Answers:
    Sjorritsma, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  5. samsam

samsam Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the list, it worked for me as well!!

samsam, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  6. arjunprabhu

arjunprabhu Peon

Best Answers:
    Sjorritsma : Thanks! Yes. it works with Query string. But i still dont understand the logic !!!!

Aren't the ad's based on the content? Only changing the URL ...... aaaaaggh...

Can anyone throw some light on this...

7. riziko

riziko Peon

Best Answers:
    This is my understanding:
    When you add the AdSense code to a new page then the AdSense mediabot comes and analyzes the page
    It stores the keywords somewhere and uses them to serve ads
    It comes and analyzes the page again if it thinks the page has changed - it might come back in a day or week or month. Check your server logs to see how often it visits. The user agent is "Mediapartners-Google/2.1"

The reason the query string trick works is because the page with the query string is treated as a new page. It doesn't actually help because when visitors view your page they won't use the querystring.

riziko, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  8. lingeriediva

lingeriediva Peon

Best Answers:
    Riziko, thanks for the explaination on the query string...it does strike me though that if you have content which is accessed from your main page via a link and you put a query string into the URL for that content you might improve the relevancy of the ads for that page.

[One does not want to think of the black hat implications of that idea; but they are there.)

lingeriediva, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  9. Sjorritsma

Sjorritsma Peon

Best Answers:
    I use the query trick when i have new content on an old page and want to see what the effects are.

Sjorritsma, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  10. arjunprabhu

arjunprabhu Peon

Best Answers:
    But still, ... the page i am refering to is quite old, and the media bot has visited it lot of times!

Eg:
    http://www.arjunprabhu.com/blog/archives/2005/03/09/virus-hits-instant-messengers/

http://www.arjunprabhu.com/blog/archives/2005/03/09/virus-hits-instant-messengers/?x=abc

So, what i can uderstand is..

1. If the page is brand new (or the URL at-least is new), then the Ads displayed are very relavent
    2. After media bot visits this new URL ... the relavency goes for a toss!!!

Isn't it supposed to be the other way round ?

So, does that mean that the algo to display ADs for the first few times (realtime), is much better then the algo used lateron ?

Just curious!

arjunprabhu, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  11. Sjorritsma

Sjorritsma Peon

Best Answers:
    Sjorritsma, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  12. jtrance2

jtrance2 Peon

Best Answers:
    can someone give me some feedback on my site
    finalroad2sobriety.blogspot.com/

jtrance2, Apr 12, 2010 IP