1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buying Looking to hire a long term Perl programmer

Discussion in 'Programming' started by bizhobby, Aug 9, 2010.

Hello,

I need someone I can rely on to write simple Perl functions.
    Some of the functionality will need to be packaged as a module.

This is long term but also not a full time offer.
    It's perfect for someone who has a little bit of time here and there and wants to help out. We can also agree to payment per job done.

You will get a task list with clear instructions on what needs to be done.

Experience with data mining, MySQL, SOAP::Lite is required.

Please send PM with your rates, availability, experience and questions.

bizhobby, Aug 9, 2010 IP
  2. bizhobby

bizhobby Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    I am looking for someone who understands Perl and can write Perl modules and functions.

bizhobby, Aug 11, 2010 IP
  3. bizhobby

bizhobby Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    I have hired Scriptoman to implement some primitive Perl functions that had to facilitate some FTP backup/restore and website navigation.

So far it has been a waste of my time and money. I think submitting a negative iTrader is a bad business practice and should only be used for total frauds, so I will not be submitting a negative iTrader.
    I am very reasonable and not one to submit bad reviews, just want to give a fair warning to anyone dealing with Scriptoman to negotiate a flat rate for job done. Make sure that you only pay if it works as described/requested.

I have prepaid for a week of service. After week and a half - all I got back was 3 lines of code that tried to log into the site and didn't work. I had to teach his Perl programmer how to use the modules in order to do the work properly.
    (Took me 5 minutes to do what he couldn't even do in 10 days)

I will only give respect to Scriptoman if he offers me a refund. I don't really want the refund, I'd rather have the job done - but it's the principle.

bizhobby, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  4. Scriptoman

Scriptoman Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    If you remember I informed you on 2nd day itself that if programmer is not meeting your requirements then I can offer you refund but you said you want to try and its fine for you. I even offered you him to work for you for few more days but when he contacted you. You said "I'm busy. Talk to you later" and later you never contacted him back. Remember it was for just 4 hours a day and he worked 6 hours a day for you. The problem was he was unable to understand your requirements and I agreed that it is not your mistake so I did offered you refund on 2nd day itself even informed you that I wont be able to refund you after completing week and you said that you are ready to take this risk as you just want to try. So what's the problem now?

What I can do now?

# I can refund you some % of amount.
    # I can offer him to work for you for 2 more days.

PM me if you need any of them.

I always try to satisfy my clients but you should atleast discuss things with me. I tried hard to contact you on Skype too but you never replied.

Regards,
    Scriptoman

Scriptoman, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  5. bizhobby

bizhobby Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    I gave him all the pointers and documentation I could. I gave clear instructions. Yes I was very busy that one day, you really want to use that in your defense?

The bottom line is no job was performed all I got back was few lines of code that were copied from the CPAN documentation.
    I came today to find out that he hasn't even managed to login using WWW::Mechanize AFTER I pointed out how to do it.
    Just today I realized how BEHIND he is (as in... he hasn't even started). And I wrote the function in 5 minutes and sent it back to him.
    (he said he tried using WWW::Mechanize "credentials" function and it wasn't working so I wrote it for him to show him that it does work)

You are right you offered me a refund, but if I get a refund all I have is money spent and nothing to show for it.
    I think I'll just take the hit on this one - no need to throw good money after bad.

But to have the audacity and ask me to give you a positive feedback if you refund me 30% was adding an insult to an injury.
    I will not fix my feedback unless you finish the job. I didn't even give you a negative feedback, but rather neutral because you did try to help the situation.

Also I wanted to alert other potential clients of yours of the dangers of TIME based charges. Because really you should negotiate payment per job done.
    If you can't deliver the goods then I'm afraid you're out of business.

What I did wrong was I should have negotiated payment upon job being completed, as it stands right now your services are no longer required.

bizhobby, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  6. enormous

enormous Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 3
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    enormous, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  7. allwinners

allwinners Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You have a real "nerve" in the way that you deal with this issue, and others from what I have read today! Where do you get off saying to a client that you can offer a refund today, but not after a week??! The bottom line is that you agreed to perform a task and that task was not performed - end of story! bizhobby is right i saying that you are 'out of business" if this is the way you conduct yourself.

You see what is happening now - negativity about you is spreading virally! I originally saw a problem with your treatment of donkon and enormous on another thread. I followed that saga to this thread, and every time a new comment is added it bumps the thread to the top of the "recent posts" list. Other people are seeing this now as well, and your reputation is going down the proverbial toilet.

You advertise that you offer programmers at $800 a month, and in all honesty after what I have read so far today, I would not use your services if they were $8 a month. See how bad feedback and negativity affects your future business viability.

allwinners, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  8. bizhobby

bizhobby Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    Well... we all live and learn. Just have to be more careful next time when you negotiate. Make sure you know your priorities.

I have given the task to somebody on eLance and so far they are doing a fantastic job I've budgeted $300 for it, but the guy has already completed most of what I needed for $50.

What I love about eLance is that I am able to break down the job into smaller tasks and milestones. And assign a payment for each "deliverable".

No delivery - no payment. simple as that.

bizhobby, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  9. allwinners

allwinners Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Totally agree about milestones. They are great and protect both parties.

allwinners, Sep 17, 2010 IP