1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bing donates $3 for each person that establishes it as default search engine

Discussion in 'Bing' started by hvalle98, Jul 17, 2010.

Bing is donating $3 to charity for each person that establishes it as the default search engine. Although I've seen several tactics used by Bing to try to gain more share, this is quite uncommon.

By the way, the donation tracker on their site reads $40,009. Wait a minute, 40009 is not a multiple of 3!

What's your opinion?
    http://www.discoverbing.com/education/searchwithpurpose/

hvalle98, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  2. marshalprince

marshalprince Peon

Best Answers:
    this is weird really, how the count came up to 40009, must have some mistake. But the thing is something they are doing even not 40009. But they are donating some money for the task which anyone can do.. So we should go with the spirt that's what I think

marshalprince, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  3. Glock

Glock Active Member

Best Answers:
    no the point is, are they actually doing it or its just to gain the search engine marketing... Nd how are they tracking this setting of default search engines from browsers =/

Glock, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  4. furca

furca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think they are using the Three-Fifths compromise.

So what you can do is: Click SET AS MY DEFAULT BROWSER AND DONATE, then click CANCEL, then type your email, and help charity!

WANT TO GIVE A TON OF MONEY? Make an email address that sends wildcard *@yourdomain.com to a specified email address. Keep asking for codes. Use them multiple times on the donor website on a single account. = Donate $40,000!! !!!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
    furca, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  5. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You mean, of the millions and millions of people on the internet, and the tens of thousands of Microsoft employees, they could only get 13,000 to do this? How lame Bing and Microsoft are that they can't even get their own employees to do this. LOL!

drhowarddrfine, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  6. bangdent

bangdent Peon

Best Answers:
    I think they are using the Three-Fifths compromise.

So what you can do is: Click SET AS MY DEFAULT BROWSER AND DONATE, then click CANCEL, then type your email, and help charity!

WANT TO GIVE A TON OF MONEY? Make an email address that sends wildcard *@yourdomain.com to a specified email address. Keep asking for codes. Use them multiple times on the donor website on a single account. = Donate $40,000!! !!!

really..???..can you give the link...

bangdent, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  7. furca

furca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just acquired like $100 in codes and then used the site to donate them in honor of my friend, lol.

furca, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  8. .TIEU

.TIEU Peon

Best Answers:
    Bing is only going to donate 100,000 dollars at max. I wouldn't suggest redeeming a bunch just in case Bing decides to revoke those codes, it would be a shame :(

.TIEU, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  9. furca

furca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think bing pre-payed because the project has already been funded and the teacher wrote a thank you note. lol

furca, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  10. CodeEgg

CodeEgg Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I don't think it's even possible to track how many people set Bing as their Default. Unless Bing tracked it through a link. But then that wouldn't track "everyone" that sets bing as their default SE.

CodeEgg, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  11. DailyCashSaver

DailyCashSaver Active Member

Best Answers:
    They are desperate for market share.

DailyCashSaver, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  12. FlightCenter

FlightCenter Peon

Best Answers:
    If it works even slightly it's a good marketing move, but then again earning the $3 per person might take 6 months to gain back. Bing should focus on its strengths which is the travel predictor when to buy and when to wait. Google sees this and is moving to buy ITA software, and get in on the Kayak type action.

FlightCenter, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  13. sivaganesh

sivaganesh Member

Best Answers:
    They may have custom Donation + 3$/dafault ...

sivaganesh, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  14. newcity

newcity Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice move by Bing, but they do need more of this coming on, and upgrade their engine, then they can beat anyone.

newcity, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  15. rob485

rob485 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with drhowarddrfine. I think that's too much. They can hire employees to encourage
    people on certain areas or regions. Or improve their search engine results too.

Good luck anyway! :)

rob485, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  16. wounded1987

wounded1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    such trackers sometimes are not real and are actually automated trackers that are increased by a certain value everyday, similar to the gmail mail box size tracker.

wounded1987, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  17. YugoSlavac

YugoSlavac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice of them to do it but do you actually think they give two damns about charity? They're just trying to use this as another marketing tool

YugoSlavac, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  18. acry

acry Peon

Best Answers:
    Very interesting marketing tactic to gain brand-recognition to Bing.com ... Seems like it's paying off. I wonder what the ultimate plans for ROI is on that plan.

acry, Jul 21, 2010 IP
  19. rob485

rob485 Peon

Best Answers:
    Another, this is a desperate move to be done by them. I hope they can find another
    way of doing this. They can just encourage visitors and tell them why they should
    be making Bing as their default search engine.

rob485, Jul 21, 2010 IP
  20. scotman

scotman Active Member

Best Answers:
    What is wrong with them supporting a charity? Sure everything is a marketing pitch nowadays we have been getting bombarded it for years now. Don't see why I would all of a sudden care and draw a line in the sand on the issue. It is something that has been done before. The bottom line is the money is going to the charity. Soo kudos to Bing for helping out a charity!

Here is some food for thought the most charitable companies by Forbes..America's Most Generous Corporations Microsoft came in at Microsoft MSFT 410.7 million for the year 2004 ..I don't see Apple or Google anywhere in the list..http://www.forbes.com/2005/11/11/charities-corporations-giving-cx_lm_1114charity.html

Microsoft gave 70 million to charities in 2009.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Employees-Give-over-70-Million-to-Charity-130517.shtml

2009 google's NET earnings in 2009 was $7,284,000,000 and they donated only $20 million in charities. I don't know the numbers speak loud and clearly.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
    scotman, Jul 21, 2010 IP