1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Find forum in your niche!!

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by terryuk, Nov 15, 2006.

A few days ago i signed up on some niche forums (bodybuilding/nutrition etc) to show off some articles and post links to recipe ebooks which the users may like, overall ive seen big jumps in traffic & revenue and they are letting my have backlinks to my website.

If you have a little niche of your own, find related forums and post your articles, stay active and use sig links, its worth it :)

terryuk, Nov 15, 2006 IP
    frisby likes this.
  2. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    Good advice, I must work on that.

Cryo.

Cryogenius, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  3. Subzero

Subzero Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes relevant forums always bring some nice targetted traffic.

Good reminder ;)

Subzero, Nov 16, 2006 IP
  4. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ahkip, Nov 16, 2006 IP
  5. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    terryuk, Nov 16, 2006 IP
  6. zeroboss

zeroboss Guest

Best Answers:
    Cool advice. I'm trying to do that more with my site cartoonsforgrownups.com, which is very niche-centric. Not much success so far, but I'll keep plugging away at it.

zeroboss, Nov 16, 2006 IP
  7. malek256

malek256 Peon

Best Answers:
    Terry, one thing you could do is to list off a summary article describing the various 'kinds' of creatines to hit the market recently (horsepower, green bulge, etc.) Really brief. Submit to various free article sites. Include a link at the bottom with some text like "updates to this article and others can be found at creatinejournal.com"

That's a kind of link bait that will probably be very effective within this niche.

malek256, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  8. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    I tell you one thing... it's really frustrating to sign up to a forum only to find out that they don't let you put links in your posts or sig. Meanwhile, some other forums only let have links once you've made a certain number of posts.

So, my advice is a) carefully read the FAQ before joining, and b) be prepared to invest your time in the forum before you can reap the rewards...

Cryo.

Cryogenius, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  9. bloodiamond

bloodiamond Peon

Best Answers:
    nice idea to get links in free :)

bloodiamond, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  10. Dreads

Dreads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Also this makes it easier to get link baiting going for your article :D sometimes people take articles from forum a and post it in forum b and ect..

Dreads, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  11. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Put it in their face and the links/traffic come for a lifetime

terryuk, Nov 6, 2008 IP
  12. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Not a bad strategy. I don't like the idea of having duplicate content on other sites though. If the forums are established, they could very well outrank your article.

dcristo, Nov 6, 2008 IP
  13. emilbus20

emilbus20 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah if you want a cool way to search for them here is a sweet little trick.You know phpfox sites right?

Do this niche "powered by phpfox"

so for bodybuilding google - bodybuilding "powered by phpfox"

enjoy there are tons of sites!!

emilbus20, Nov 6, 2008 IP
  14. Chancey

Chancey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It would only work if the site is a dofollow. Otherwise forget it because it is just waste of time.

Chancey, Nov 6, 2008 IP
  15. LinkGenie

LinkGenie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Even it us no-follow still we can get traffic if posting in relevant niche.

LinkGenie, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  16. kimbeckers

kimbeckers Peon

Best Answers:
    Some good stuff in this post, what have you found to be the best way to find a relevant forum in your niches?

kimbeckers, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  17. markowe

markowe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One thing I do is look out for forums that are ranking high for my keywords! There are forum threads, or just posts that currently outrank me for certain keywords, which is silly, because the forums in question are not even about the subject! So it's worth getting involved in them, I think. Do a search for your keywords and see if there are any forums where this is being discussed in the first few pages of SERPs.

There is a surprising number of non-nofollow forums, especially non tech-related ones. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that phpBB does NOT no-follow sig links in the default installation. Anyway, even on nofollow forums there is still click-through, relevant traffic to think about, and anyway, nobody knows for sure that Google doesn't give SOME weight to anchor links even when they are no-followed, at least for KW ranking, if not for PR - and who gives a darn about PR anyway?

After all, even nofollow external links appear in Webmaster Tools...

But I have to reiterate what's been said before - don't let's spam forums. Join a forum, become a valued member and THEN, after a few dozen useful posts at least, create a signature link. Remember, with vBulletin forums (and some others, but not phpBB - apologies, just checked this, phpBB ALSO updates ALL the links in your old posts - i.e. it gets the latest version from the database every time it displays your posts) - when you change your link, ALL the posts you have ever written will be updated with the new sig, like on DP, so you will still benefit from all that work.

So it's worth taking time. If you're going to rush in, post a link to your cheesy affiliate site, grab a few sales and get banned from the forum within a day then you're taking the short-term view and you shouldn't be doing this. After all, the only reason a forum DOES rank well is because it has good content and is spam-free, so if you want to abuse that for your own ends, you are doing all of us a disservice. And you wouldn't want others spamming YOUR forum - believe me, dealing with spam and spambots on a forum is NO fun.

The long-term approach means promoting your brand in a subtle way by creating quality posts that people value, such that nobody even minds that you are promoting your site in your sig - forum owners want quality content and if you are giving it to them, they will turn a blind eye to low-key self-promotion, even if they officially don't allow it. And eventually, if your threads are valuable, they will accrue PR themselves, and pass it on to your site through your sig link!

markowe, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  18. kimbeckers

kimbeckers Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you, some good ideas and great advice as well.
    Thanks again for your input it is much appreciated.

Kim

kimbeckers, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  19. wroxtar

wroxtar Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with you mate. Had a tough time when I began this herculean task of posting in forums...I think now I am learning things.

wroxtar, Jun 18, 2009 IP
  20. ORIGIN

ORIGIN Active Member

Best Answers:
    You do not just ge traffic from the search engines with this method, you also get a boost of traffic from the forum itself. You can make a very good income just from forums this way, but it is not easy to find forums that allows a signature, especially in the more popular niches...

Well worth the effort and if the links count, then you get an extra boost from Google...

ORIGIN, Jun 18, 2009 IP