1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sacre Bleu - What is worse French Bum Wipe or Mohammed Cartoon?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Revelations-Decoder, Apr 22, 2010.

So we live in a World where all things we're created by God and all things we're done to amuse God. (Supposedly)

So what do you think ?

French Flag used as toilet Roll

The French Flag used to wipe a dudes bum, is it worse than cartoons of Mohammed on a par or has the World just gone crazy no matter which way you look at things?

Revelations-Decoder, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  2. lelkoun

lelkoun Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is very funny. :D
    No offence.

lelkoun, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  3. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm strongly against the person who wiped his ass with the French flag and all the people who profited from it. A flag symbolizes a country, soldiers give up their lives bravely to protect its pride. You can't let people disgrace it for personal profits in the name of freedom of expression. If you insult a flag you insult a country and its people.

Helvetii, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  4. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We should all help the French Gov to enable them to issue a Fatwa on the Guy then yes?

Revelations-Decoder, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  5. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No offence but imagine your photo on that flag, you sure would be pissed right? And I bet my house that if you had the resources you would sue his ass and all those who published it. I definitely would....Now why should the French people and their Government be expected to behave differently? :)

Everyone responsible should be sued but there must be a fair trial. And BTW if the government makes a new law, they can't punish him on its basis since the "crime" was committed before the law came into effect. So the trial, if any will have to be based on existing laws.

Helvetii, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  6. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Beheading? Stoning? Burning at the stake? Imprisonment in an offshore "detainment facility"?

I'm guessing that the punishment will be a brief discussion, followed by a stern warning and a firm slap on the wrist. As it should be.

Kerosene, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  7. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If that. I thought it was pretty funny when Borat(Sasha Cohen) created his own, very offensive words to sing the American national anthem at a rodeo in Texas, but I could tell the folks in the stands were less than pleased. People need the right to say and do things that might offend you and your beliefs, whatever your holy cow may be (in this case your national flag), without fear of being stoned, beheaded, burned, charged, sued, or taken to an offshore detainment facility. Right now the line in the US mostly gets drawn when those words advocate illegal and/or violent activities. I know I've had it with people in my country complaining about seeing Christmas trees in Government buildings.

People should be free to burn or wipe their ass with your flag. You should be free to dislike them for it, and even promote the dislike of those people, amongst those who would care about it, by publicizing their activities.

Obamanation, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  8. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    I don't get what's offensive tbh Helveti. It's a piece of cloth dyed three colours, what's to be offended about?

Revelations-Decoder, Apr 24, 2010 IP
  9. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    65 Million people consider it symbolic of their sovereignty and pride. Its always a bad idea to offend anyone. Most countries would behave the same way as France. Attitude towards the national flag allover the world is quite different than what it is in UK. I know you people are not very fond of the Union Jack or Saint George's cross, can't figure why.

Helvetii, Apr 24, 2010 IP
  10. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    I don't think it is an issue of fondness. It is an issue of whether it should be illegal to offend people. We go down that path, and we will have to stop saying anything that offends Muslims as well. Given how easy some of them are to offend, it would take some of the enjoyment out of my day.

Obamanation, Apr 24, 2010 IP
  11. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    I don't really think about it tbh Helveti to me it's just a peice of cloth.

Some people are very ethusiastic about the Union Jack and St Georges cross and have great pride in it but others, like me, don't really think all that much of it or about it.

To my mind the Union Jack represents a ruling power and bunch of families and is nothing to do with me and I don't regard it as representing me or my family. We have our own family crest that I would more regard as "my flag", as it we're.

To me, personally, the Union Jack represents a political historical alliance that had nothing what so ever to do with me or represents anything I agree with.

I think one day the Union Jack could end up defunct as it is made up of the flags of Wales Scotland and England and both Wales and Scoland are working towards being seprated from England and so one day it is pretty much clear the Countries will once again be seprate Countries and England will then have to use the Red Cross of their parton Saint St George Scotland their flag and Wales theirs.

This will mean eventually the Union Jack will cease to have any real meaning or be able to be used as a "National" flag as it represents 3 nations that will eventually be exactly that "three nations", seperate and ruled independently.

Now I could be wrong of course but both Scotland & Wales have a large amount of people who want to be seperate so it may take tome time to come into effect but one day it is pretty much bound to happen.

There is also the Northern Ireland factor but Northern Ireland is a compnent of what is called The United Kingdom. The "United Kingdom" being the most amusing part of the whole thing, as, as I have said both Scotland and Wales has strong wishes and support for being seperate nations.

There is nothing really all that "United" about the "United Kingdom". It would be better to call it the UNTIED Kingdom, as political develotion is already happening and looks set to move towards more and more seperation in many regards. There are political movements in both Wales and Scotland working towards this, so I imagine other than militarial cooperation the United Kigdom one day will not exist as a single political entity as we presently know it.

In regards to the sovereignty aspect as I said I don't feel any flag represents me. My Dad's side come from a Norman Scottish line that further back came from the middle east and north africa and moved through europe of centuries b4 and as I say came over with the Normans and settled in Scotland.

My Mum's side are similar with Irish and English parts but roots in Europe and further back the same middle east and north afrcian roots. A lot of preople don't even realise their ancestry in these regards. You would be very suprised how many Scots have Norman ancestry for example.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
    Revelations-Decoder, Apr 24, 2010 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I do understand your point here, and if it was something like a Menora or anything that means something to me on the TP, that would most definitely sit badly with me to say the least. But then again, that would be more like having my family's coat of arms. But when you take a nation's flag, it's something in regards to an issue you have with the country or its policies.

Blogmaster, Apr 24, 2010 IP
  13. alexispetrov

alexispetrov Peon

Best Answers:
    Rev, usually we're of the same mind - but in this case I'd say any countries flag as toilet paper is extremely offensive and agree with Helvetti about symbolism. In particular, being Anzac day today, the soldiers who died - it is absolutely wrong.

I don't think any country's flag should be used in such a way.

The Mohammad cartoon is far less offensive; plenty of cartoon's depict God/Jesus/Budha etc. and showing a picture of something isn't the same as using a flag to, yes. I don't want to be crude here.

alexispetrov, Apr 24, 2010 IP
  14. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    In the United States, flag desecration is protected by the First Amendment for freedom of speech. While many find it offensive, including myself, I don't believe that it should be illegal. However, in this particular case, the article says, "...the photograph was taken on a public street in France..."

So, two things I'm wondering...

1. Was the flag his own personal property, or public property?
    2. What is he doing, pulling his pants all the way down on a public street?

Rebecca, Apr 24, 2010 IP
  15. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    Different peple are offended by different things. Rebecca I think the pulling his pants down in a public street is more of a concern tbh. That is if it had been just a case of a guy wiping his bum after having - well you know what I mean.

But I may add this was actually an artistic joke and the guy had not in fact wiped his soiled backside on the french flag.

It was meant as an artistic joke to provoke and gain "exposure" (the operative word perhaps LOL) which in some ways has worked very well in making the artist better known, all be it for reasons many are obviously offened by.

Revelations-Decoder, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  16. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Revelations, on one hand...

I consider it art as well. It's a photo, that has created intense reaction. One person looks at it and laughs, another is angry. It's controversial with comments like "The image is utterly offensive and should be removed. I want the person who committed this outrage to be punished, and possibly those who published it too!!" LOL, totally awesome. I think the truest form of art challenges our beliefs, or at least makes us feel something. It's not as if he made a violent threat against anyone, it's an offensive type of art, but I do support his right to freedom of speech.

However...

I feel empathy for the veterans, and other patriotic citizens of France offended by this. If that flag was public property, he shouldn't have done that, although, I think it would be his right to do it to one he personally owns. Perhaps they should get the flag professionally cleaned, especially after it's been up his butt crack, and send him the bill. It's probably not a good idea to strip of your pants on a public street either. France should not revise existing laws to restrict speech, but if they really want to go after him, perhaps they could charge him with indecent exposure, or kind of a stretch, but, defacing public property?

Rebecca, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  17. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Yes, but is it art?

Obamanation, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  18. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I think so, what do you think?

Here's my favorite artist, his name is Clayton Bailey. I've even written to him before to tell him how wonderful his art is, and he was very nice. :)

Rebecca, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  19. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Freedom of Expression is a funny excuse for insulting people for private profits. Whats worse is that everyone involved were French Citizens and insulted the nation on its own territory.

Helvetii, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  20. babak44

babak44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    first of all I think this style doesn't work for this purpose, means the ass doesn't clean properly and even could spreed sh*t to other parts! hence have to avoid.
    we have to see tographer done it for insult french people or not? if that guy was Muslim every thing will change I think, then surly he done it for bad intend because regularly Muslim don't clean their ass with cloths or paper but washing with water.
    as mentioned in the link, he wasn't a Muslim because no Muslim dare to do that and sent it for a art competition but maybe judges were Muslim! lol

as I see in this case our Americans friends are lenient about this photo!! I have seen American loved their flag and as saw in movies and photos they set one in most of houses and also their car sometimes.

babak44, Apr 26, 2010 IP