1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does AdSense make your site look unprofessional?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by another, Mar 31, 2010.

I am new to monetizing websites, although I have been researching for a while. My first venture is going to be a niche shopping guide. I hope to make money through affiliate links and advertising. I am interested in using AdSense because their ads are context based, which seems like it would generate higher click through rates, particularly in a shopping guide.

The problem is that my site is needs to look genuine and informative, (I actually know a lot about my niche and will be offering worthwhile content, but I need visitors to expect that at first glance), and I worry that Google ads are associated with spam sites and other content-thin sites, or else personal blogs. Would you agree with this? I am hoping to attract the type of visitor that casually browses the internet for email and shopping rather than seasoned web-surfers; are these people likely to be put off by the presence of Google ads on a shopping guide site?

I would be grateful if anybody could link me to professional looking sites that use AdSense, if they exist. Or if I want to appear trustworthy and professional should I stay away from AdSense all together? Like I said, I'm new to this and could be totally wrong, please give me the benefit of your experience.

Thanks for any help.

another, Mar 31, 2010 IP
  2. Sxperm

Sxperm Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Adsense has nothing to do with your site professional. :) But if you made a pure site for Adsense then it could be "not a professional". If you made a site for real peoples and not for gain Adsense click then your site would be professional anyhow, regardless to the number of Adsense you placed.

Sxperm, Mar 31, 2010 IP
  3. Ash324

Ash324 Guest

Best Answers:
    In my opinion as long as it doesn't stick out like a big sore thumb that would make visitors run you should be fine. I really can't think of any to link you to right this minute, but lots of people make lots of money every month from Adsense without crappy looking websites. It's all about where you place the ads. I personally hate to see a bunch of them in the middle of the page jumping out at me. Along the side bars looks okay. In the end just trust your judgment. If you don't like the way it looks,chances are your visitor won't either.

Ash324, Mar 31, 2010 IP
  4. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Adsense has nothing to do but still your site can look that way if you don't know how to blend those ads with your content and because most webmasters do not care about their content, only about money they can get from clicks, hence cluttering with advrtising their layouts.

Mystique, Mar 31, 2010 IP
  5. another

another Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies. I guess that essentially I am starting this website to see if I can earn some supplementary income from it, but I will definitely be providing unique, quality content and having fun in my attempts. It seems as though all the spam and "get rich quick" websites use the default colors for their ads and have a long list of them before the content. I am going to redesign my site a little so that there will be a section in the top right for ads, balanced with the rest of my site, and I will use colors that fit with the rest of my site. Any other tips?

Thanks a lot.

another, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  6. 3dweb

3dweb Member

Best Answers:
    If You know how to configure adsense blocks - colors and background Your site will look professional :)

3dweb, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  7. Njiekovic

Njiekovic Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, what I did is adapt the Adsense colors to the colors of my website (black, white, grey and orange) and I have to say it doesn't look half as annoying as I thought it would. And when picture ads show up it's looks even less bad. I'm actually quite happy with it, despite the rather low income so far.

Njiekovic, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  8. andyken

andyken Peon

Best Answers:
    Not really.

I changed its colors so that it would blend in my site's themes. And I only place two ads at one page.

andyken, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  9. adsense-member

adsense-member Guest

Best Answers:
    That's not true.

Adsense can be modified, so it can blend with your site. After blend, many people will take a look your site. pros or not not count by adsense, but from your design or themes.

adsense-member, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  10. nadia712

nadia712 Peon

Best Answers:
    Honestly, so many sites incorporate Adsense into their layout these days, I really doubt anyone would have a second thought about them (as far as professionalism goes, anyway). Here's a very popular professional blog which actually inserts GRAPHIC ads between its posts: www . enterpreneurs-journey . com (no spaces - how embarrassing, I can't post live links yet). That's a lot more intrusive than a little bar of Adsense along the side of your content, don't you think?

nadia712, Apr 1, 2010 IP