1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Six Figure Challenge

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by jhmattern, Nov 8, 2006.

I've mentioned briefly in a few other threads that several members of the private professional writers' network I recently set up would be participating in a challenge. We're finally ready to share some of the details. :)

The Six Figure Challenge

The Challenge is simple: Five writers. Six Figures. One year.

Why?

We have two reasons for taking on the Challenge:

1. To learn from each other and help each other grow as writers, work into new markets and income streams, and increase our writing / editing incomes in general.

2. To use ourselves as an example for new and lower-paid writers, so they can hopefully learn from some of the advice we share, problems we go through, and more... to help them increase their own incomes through their writing.

Actually reaching six figures gives us a goal to work towards together, but is far less of a concern than growing, learning, and teaching.

When?

The Challenge will officially be running starting in January 2007. We've been working on getting things set up now for a little while, and are going to be sharing tips, resources, and our own strategies for the upcoming challenge on the official blog at www.SixFigureWriters.com.

Who's Involved?

There are five of us, mostly from the US, with one participant from Asia. You can find out more about us at www.SixFigureWriters.com.

Want to Know More?

Check out the official blog, our Myspace page, or the Challenge area of my new freelance writing forum for more information or to ask questions of any of the writers involved. :)

Be sure to follow along and sign up for the newsletter once we launch it. Each of the sites above and the newsletter will offer different benefits, from unique writers' market listings to other free tips and resources for writers. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Nov 8, 2006 IP
    kevinn likes this.
  2. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    Yay, Jenn! :) I'm really starting to get excited now, let me tell you.

DeniseJ, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Should be fun... and definitely a learning experience. :)

4. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like Mr.Rob is the only guy in the group, but there isn't too much info available about him at this moment :)

Ah..well..Wish you guys best of luck, hope you have a smashing time :)

gr8liverpoolfan, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  5. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    lol That's because he's been busy and hasn't posted it yet. ;) He confirmed today that he's still in though. We had another guy or two in the more general network, but he was the only one who opted into the Challenge - so it wasn't the rest of us just being "choosey". ;)

6. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I think it's kinda neat that it ended up being mostly women, actually.

good luck, and update the thread as things progress :)

disgust, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  7. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    We'll be updating our blog, our myspace page, and the AllFreelancing forum as it progresses, so I'm not going to keep posting about it here unless there are major updates. Feel free to follow along in any of those places, or with our newsletter when we release it though. ;)

Jenn

8. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    my guess is that you'd probably get a lot more attention from DP members if you keep things updated in the thread, but it's up to you I suppose :)

disgust, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  9. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Perhaps, but DP members are far from the only target group we'll be working with. ;) No matter where writers are coming from, they can follow along in the same places that everyone else will... and we're giving them added incentives in writers' market listings, writers' resources, and more. The best way for us to track our own progress with our audience is to have them on our sites, so that's the way we're going to be handling it for the most part. :)

10. gr8liverpoolfan

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the clarification, Jenn. I wasn't very shocked at the absence of men :D...It isn't a gender bias or anything, but writers do often tend to be women.

Even at DP, I do not recollect too many male writers- Jason, koolkid. I think neoms is also one, but not very sure :)

I'll keep track of your progress though :)

Try and keep this thread updated too .

Best of luck again

gr8liverpoolfan, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    I think the network in general has three men from over here (Jason, Craig, and Rob - not sure of their usernames off of the top of my head), so they're out there... just a bit outnumbered, or else they're just very quiet. ;)

Just an update on writers' markets. I finished posting today's markets at:

www.sixfigurewriters.com
    www.myspace.com/sixfigurewriters
    www.allfreelancing.com (need to register to see these ones)

They're all different markets, and reasonably diverse. I think I managed a decent bunch today as far as variety goes, so if you're looking for higher paying writing work (I believe the lowest I posted was $.20/word or somewhere around that), be sure to check each of those sites out - fresh stuff will be posted to each every day (or at least as often as I can manage it). :)

12. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    I really like your idea Jenn and member's balance is right, but please...

We are in the 21th century so those comments coming from disgust and gr8liverpoolfan make me think of the same old cliché.. "wahoo for my only-girls club" otherwise wahoo for the male version of the same.

If we see your project keeping objectives and results in mind, instead of sex of participants, all of us together can make big things happen.

Pat Gael, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  13. gr8liverpoolfan

Best Answers:
    Which is what they are doing :)
    It wasn't ever meant to be an only girls club. It simply ended up having more women than men :)...That's all

gr8liverpoolfan, Nov 9, 2006 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  14. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    No problem, got it now :)

Pat Gael, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  15. Anteros

Anteros Peon

Best Answers:
    Good luck with your challenge!

I have my goals too, so work hard and don't rest until you achieve those figures!

Anteros, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  16. telegraph.hill

telegraph.hill Peon

Best Answers:
    Good Luck with your challenge! I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out.

I think it is important that writers earn what they are really worth.

And thanks for the really useful links.

telegraph.hill, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  17. cgfx

cgfx Peon

Best Answers:
    This challenge sounds like a good coverage for a press release. "Five writers. Six Figures. One year." I'm sure it would get some good media attention. Good luck!

cgfx, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  18. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    That's exactly what we are hoping for, Cgfx. Whether or not we make the 6 figure goal (while nice, don't get me wrong) that goal is actually secondary to educating new writers that they don't have to take worthless jobs when there are better options out there :)

DeniseJ, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  19. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    I know. That's why I used it. ;) I'm a PR professional for my primary work, so I'll be announcing things shortly (maybe even today) with the first release. :)

And Denise is right: Most of us involved are taking on the Challenge on a part-time basis. While it's certainly possible we'll reach the goal, we're more concerned with being able to grow as writers, learn from each other, and help lower-paid writers learn how they can move up in the freelance writing world. We're just all altruistic like that. ;) j/k

Jenn

jhmattern, Nov 9, 2006 IP
  20. highflyer

highflyer Peon

Best Answers:
    Just spotted this! I've been so involved with the new forum, I forgot to visit DP. (Note to self: must not stop checking DP for new threads).
    Thankfully, I'm not too late. I hate joining threads in the middle of a debate, which is one of the reasons I haven't said anything in the fiery debate that's taking place regarding writers selling their time for $10.

Anyway, I'm one of the writers participating in the challenge, and am as excited as Jenn and Denise are at the prospect of revolutionising the writing industry. Yes, yes that’s an ambitious statement, but we’re all pretty ambitious; yet altruistic, as Jenn insightfully pointed out. :D
    And seemingly quite lacking in modesty too. :p

Thanks for all the good luck wishes. Do keep checking the blog for useful resources and regular updates tracking our progress.

highflyer, Nov 9, 2006 IP