1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Employees: What kind of education is required for a job at Google?

Discussion in 'Google' started by peppy, Mar 18, 2010.

If there are any Google employees that actually hang out at DP, I have a question about actual employment at Google.

How many people working there have only a Bachelor's Degree? Does everyone have to have a PhD in order to get one of the quantitative jobs (not lunch room jobs or customer service jobs)?

What kind of job could someone get with a BS in Physics and Minor in Mathematics and 6 years of self-taught computer programming and webmaster skills (with some formal courses in Java and True Basic)?

peppy, Mar 18, 2010 IP
  2. BryanWoodUrns

BryanWoodUrns Peon

Best Answers:
    Why dont you put in an application with them directly and see what happens?

BryanWoodUrns, Mar 18, 2010 IP
  3. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was wondering if there are any particular jobs there that I could qualify for before sending an application. Unless anyone can send a general resume and Google selects the job for them that they qualify for?

peppy, Mar 18, 2010 IP
  4. simpseo

simpseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would suspect that Google employees don't hang out on this forum. Unless, that is, they feel like having a laugh now and again.

simpseo, Mar 18, 2010 IP
  5. tech4

tech4 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is the general reply: Not the specific situations, but generally it is.

You need a degree from an IVY league college.
    You need lots of strong experience basically who you know.

A combination of 1 and 2. No ivy, don't bother. Your family is not part of a large company don't bother.

tech4, Mar 18, 2010 IP
  6. LBP

LBP Guest

Best Answers:
    Normally those who applies in Google does not get the job, Google find the people they employ online.

its like the saying "don't find them, they find you"

LBP, Mar 18, 2010 IP
  7. brandon93s

brandon93s Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, that is an extremely ignorant statement. You think you have to have an IVY league degree to work for Google? That is extremely far fetched! You think all 21,000 or even a fraction of their 21,000 employees have degrees from an IVY league school? No way. This is Google we are talking about, not Washington.

brandon93s, Mar 18, 2010 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  8. WishBone

WishBone Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought you already been here but still share if you don't..

http://www.google.com/intl/en/jobs/index.html

I will accept if they offer me a janitorial job, it will be easy there because Google employees are well-disciplined. Check out the videos on the right..

WishBone, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  9. tech4

tech4 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the OP was talking about the "cubical" corporate job. Which I said is the general.

If you you are talking about the janitorial or data entry then yes, it would be extremely ignorant of me.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
    tech4, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  10. tech4

tech4 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    •At least 2 years of financial analysis experience from a Fortune 500 company, high growth firm, leading investment bank or financial services. For financial analyst (fortune 500) Entry position requires 2 years of XP and from a fortune 500
    •At LEAST 2 years of XP. Excellent analytical skills and experience; proficient in Excel and familiarity with Oracle or other similar financial systems ( Entry level Accounting, excellent, with other financial systems)
    •At least 2 years of communications focused work experience (for entry level marketing)

These are only 3 type of "corporate jobs" that you see. All require at LEAST 2 years and from "Fortune 500" ...

So you think graduating with a degree from x college is going to get you into an entry level position with "google"? NOT.

As you can see they require that you are from other "Banking/Finance or fortune 500, with solid XP"
    Basically if you have an IVY ticket its the ticket, and if your uncle is CFO of company X you are more likely to be "in".

I am not talking from air, take a look at their job requirements for entry level.

tech4, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  11. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, Google would probably prefer for any technical jobs that you have a degree from M.I.T. or Cal Tech (or such schools) than from the Ivy League.

Jim4767, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  12. tech4

tech4 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MIT is considered IVY and Cal Tech is sort of IVY
    And they prefer you come from other "big hub" ...

Typical (general graduate) with no xp from a regular unviversity will have a "SLIM" chance to 0 to make it to Google for any of their entry level jobs.

tech4, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  13. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The best way to find out is to just put an application at Google's office. One of my friend applied last month (programmer) till now, he has given three different interviews every week. They have not yet given him a confirmation whether he is hired or rejected.

China_girl, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  14. teckinik

teckinik Peon

Best Answers:
    I remember reading their job advertisement where they put a lot of "Excellent" word and qualification required were crazy. But that depends on the kind of job. Many of employees of goggle are millionaire so you can yourself image the kind of requirements they have.

teckinik, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  15. Amienda

Amienda Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's more of your experience and track record that lands you a job on Google and not your education. And yeah, for key positions, Google finds you not the other way around!

Amienda, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  16. tech4

tech4 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So how do they find you? its through IVY and connections. They will definitely not find some x graduate from c school.
    Its not about experience or track record, think about it, if someone is doing extremely well why would they want to leave and work for Google?

Just think for a moment.
    Its the basis who you know, where you are from, (IVY, Class, Power,BIG HUB CLUB)...not about your track. .
    Its not about you, its about, your connections and power. Your skills and experience have NOTHING to do with jobs. Like I said, all it takes is an IVY introduction.
    I seen it works at MBA schools. Where the dean calls up a CEO of a company and get the student in the door. Nothing, no sweat, 1 phone call.

On the other hand, if you are experience, intelligent, but have no connections. You can throw 10,000 resumes and maybe get a phone back but no guarantee. I know this for a fact.

tech4, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  17. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, they are not "Ivy League". The Ivy League is actually an athletic conference of precisely eight universities, all eight of which are also outstanding academic universities. M.I.T. and Cal Tech are outstanding, but are not Ivy League schools.

Jim4767, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  18. agtile

agtile Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's just like down here in Destin, if you don't know people who know people forget about getting business. On the other hand once you get inside, you all set.

agtile, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  19. tech4

tech4 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its everywhere, not just in Destin (wherever that is).

I was shock when I see things like that happened, 1 phone call and you're in. No need to send resumes, no need to interview, that's it. No matter what is posted on the job description, it becomes invalid when it comes to power and connection.

tech4, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  20. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really, but this was not the case when my friend applied for a programmer. He had in all three interviews and yet waiting for the call for confirmation.

Then I guess its just that you need to have some strong references to get in.

China_girl, Mar 21, 2010 IP