1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Got kicked out of DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by fryman, May 25, 2005.

LMAO!! A friend of mine told me that we had been kicked out of the Google directory. I found it weird, since I could still see our sites there.

Well, now I can't, and I just noticed this referral in my logs

http://editors.dmoz.org/editors/logs.cgi?cat=Computers/Internet/category/category/&time=1105656871&file=.sites%2F(mysite).com

LMAO!!! I guess a competitor finally got accepted at DMOZ as an editor and is starting to wipe out all the popular sites. Another site I know well also got kicked out.

How pathetic, I guess I'll join Minstrels' club now and say that

DMOZ SUCKS!!

fryman, May 25, 2005 IP
  2. letsmakeamillion

letsmakeamillion Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    those guys should be held accountable for what they are doing over there at dmoz...

its crazy..

it is a project that has gone wrong

letsmakeamillion, May 25, 2005 IP
  3. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the actual traffic coming from DMOZ can easily be neglect
    and the lost PR link be replaced by any other link or a number of links

most results from google are search results rather than coming from directory ...

hence

just keep smiling and focus on quality and all traffic goes up and up with or without DMOZ listing

hans, May 25, 2005 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Oh, believe me, I have enough backlinks and quality on my site to bring a nice amount of visitors, couldn't care less about DMOZ.

It is just so lame seeing this... BTW, I used some of my contacts and I am almost sure I know who did this. So, after a brief investigation I can see that he is in charge of 25 DMOZ categories. The one where my site was is not included in them.

With 25 categories I am sure he must have loads of work to do... and suddenly he starts taking out sites in categories that aren't assigned to him...

fryman, May 25, 2005 IP
  5. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    fryman,

Absurd. I think we should document all this stuff (perhaps away from the prying eyes of DMOZ editors, as I'm sure they'd rush to "fix" it if they thought it might mean they would lose their precious power positions.) and send it to google as examples of why they should drop DMOZ.

nddb, May 25, 2005 IP
  6. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    The new lowest form of life.

However, everyone wants in and kisses ass, how do you think that will change things?

Tell them they are asses and send even the nice one's home with a boot in the ass when they come and try to make nice.

They are all liars and are in colusion. This has financial gain as a motive and whoever wanted that class action suit can get it done with the correct angle and a hunrgy law student.

noppid, May 25, 2005 IP
  7. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    Hans,

"most results from google are search results rather than coming from directory ... "

Well, no one comes from DMOZ, because I don't believe anyone uses it, and I don't see any editors jumping in to prove me wrong. Everyone uses google, or some other SE, does anyone REALLY go to DMOZ to search? Like I said, on one site I've had in DMOZ for well over a year, I see DMOZ as referer in the logs ONCE.

But the reason for the google results may be the DMOZ listing. I got a DMOZ listing and suddenly Google was reporting 168 backlinks, when before it always says none. Could be a coincidence, but I noticed it right after google crawled my DMOZ link. (My rank still sucks in google, but oh well.)

nddb, May 25, 2005 IP
  8. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    and that hit was probally from the editor reviewing your site :rolleyes:

just-4-teens, May 25, 2005 IP
  9. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:

Yeah, to make sure his were better or remove ya! :eek:

noppid, May 25, 2005 IP
  10. jlerner

jlerner Guest

Best Answers:
    DMOZ has never been a source of direct traffic for me - but getting listed suddenly boosted my Google position.

Is it possible to rank high in Google without being listed in DMOZ?

jlerner, May 27, 2005 IP
  11. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it is.

GuyFromChicago, May 27, 2005 IP
  12. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    I guess if you have been in DMOZ for a while you would have benefited from the extra backlinks that it would have provided from clones anyway so no big deal now for you now Fry, but another example of a good idea gone bad, insetual as it may be.

At least you have the site built up now so no harm done, I have had the same experience.

sji2671, May 27, 2005 IP
  13. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Fryman, I mentioned this in the thread that iconrate started. You should go to a category above or two above, whatever it takes, and find an editor above the one that is listed in your category. Send a message to them and let them know that your site was removed from the directory and you are not sure why. Be polite and IF you think you have some evidence that someone who is an editor there intentionally removed your site, then I might mention that, with their name, as well. You might also want to post this on the RZ.

I have had sites pulled from categories after being in them for years. Reporting this to editors in the cats above the one I was listed in got them listed again. Sometimes a bad person gets a hold of a cat. Unfortunately, if there is a pattern of wrongdoing (FYI, every modification to every URL is logged and stored forever in the ODP) it will be easy to see and I am sure they will be gone faster than you can whistle Dixie.

Millionaire....not sure what anyone "over there" should be held accountable for. It is a private directory, if you don't like what they do, then you don't have to use it. Like I said in Iconrate's thread, if you don't like that Google uses ODP data, then complain to GOOGLE.

chachi, May 27, 2005 IP