1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Mutualized hosting questions

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Poupoutane, Feb 13, 2010.

Hi all

The other day I was lurking across phpbb.com's forums searching for clues. After a few readings, i focused on their ads and was a little bit surprized by the similarities of the hosting offers displayed inside of their banners.

Some companies like

bluehost.com
    hostgator.com
    hostmonster.com

that do offer some 'all unlimited solutions' on shared hosting like
    UNLIMITED Hosting Space
    UNLIMITED Site Bandwidth
    Host UNLIMITED Domains
    Unlimited Pop/Imap Email Accounts
    SSH Access (Secure Shell)
    SSL, FTP, Stats
    CGI, Ruby (RoR), Perl, PHP, MYSQL
    Front Page Extensions
    Free Domain Forever
    Free Site Builder

Quite nice offer, and appart promotionnal offers, all these companies prices are really comparable. In fact, I do myself run a platinium packat bluehost, I am quite satisfied of them.

I was wondering if these 3 above mentionned compaanies are really separated or if they were trade marks of a unique company distributing common products with different names.

What do you think of it ?

P.S. I am also curious of the difference in shared hosting in the US when compared to European one (i am french citizen), although prices are comparable, the pack of services provided in the U.S. is really more important.

But on on other hand, for dedicated servers, prices are really cheaper in Europe, for example see kimsufi offer from OVH.

Poupoutane, Feb 13, 2010 IP
  2. WebhostListin

WebhostListin Peon

Best Answers:
    BlueHost and HostMonster are owned by the same company. HostGator is not related to them. There are quite a few other hosts with different brand name, but same parent company.

WebhostListin, Feb 13, 2010 IP
  3. hostwebdata

hostwebdata Peon

Best Answers:
    make sure you check TOS on thier site
    thier is no think as UNLIMITED hosting

hostwebdata, Feb 13, 2010 IP
  4. premwithme

premwithme Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well Bluehost is owned by Hostmonster, both are same infact same customer care team handle bluehost and hostmonster and hostgator is not related to them. Many don't know this and if they feel bad about one service bluehost or hostmonster they just move to another service from them only to late find that still they are with same hosting people

premwithme, Feb 13, 2010 IP
  5. Poupoutane

Poupoutane Active Member

Best Answers:
    It was exactly what I thought, their homepages and offer really look alike.

Poupoutane, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  6. WebIntellects - Rob

WebIntellects - Rob Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just would like to add: if they are run by the same company that doesn't mean they are bad

WebIntellects - Rob, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  7. Poupoutane

Poupoutane Active Member

Best Answers:
    Of course, I never said that, I personnaly have an account at bluehost, and I am extremely satisfied of their service. But I do see offers for mutualized hostings here and there, with extremely attractive services an prices (when they are seen through french eyes). I simply guessed this many companies offer should have been trading marks operated by a single company.

The most visible clue for this is BlueHost/hostmonster.

Futhermore, Webintellect's sigature above has links for two hosters, webintellects and webhostgiant. Are they operated by the same company ??

A last one with broken prices : WebhostingPad, all unlimited, promotionnal at 1.99/month when bought for 3 years (DO pay attention to the hosting period, generally 3 years to get the lower price)

CHeers.

Poupoutane, Feb 17, 2010 IP
  8. jakd

jakd Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never used any of those three, but did you take a look at lunarpages.com?
    i've used them before, and I cant say I found anything bad about them!

jakd, Feb 17, 2010 IP
  9. Poupoutane

Poupoutane Active Member

Best Answers:
    Concerning webhostingpad.com, by checking their conditions of use and prices, I have recently discovered that they have support for streaming video, which, among with their prices make them more attractive than my current hosting company (bluehost) that do not have streaming video support.

Poupoutane, Feb 25, 2010 IP
  10. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is an increasing number of companies offering stream media support so try to find the best deal when it comes to price, bandwidth and webspace.

I have never heard of those companies you are finding, though.

Mystique, Feb 25, 2010 IP
  11. WebhostListin

WebhostListin Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sure they do... When I had added that plan to WebhostListin, they did: http://www.webhostlist.in/plans/view/bluehost_unltd

Just check their features in detail... They probably support Streaming/Real A/V.

WebhostListin, Feb 25, 2010 IP
  12. premwithme

premwithme Active Member

Best Answers:
    Webhostingpad have lot of negative feddback from customers and may say they downtime and all so look in to those aspects also

premwithme, Feb 25, 2010 IP