1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Directory PageRank Stats

Discussion in 'Directories' started by CanadianEh, Feb 11, 2010.

Below are our latest stats, compiled from our database of 16,000 directories. Unfortunately, we have had some problems with PR update scripts resulting in the number of NA directories being a bit higher than it should. Please see our blog post for complete details of the PageRank stats.

Directory PR Statistics

[​IMG]

Percentage change if PR between July 2009 and present.

[​IMG]

Directories have done quite will over the last 4 Google PR updates. Comments are appreciated.

CanadianEh, Feb 11, 2010 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  2. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And of them, how many are dropped domains that had PR on them, that people just want to slap a directory on to make a quick buck?

Provide some statistics that really mean something to show a true indication of your stats, rather than inaccuracies which include dropped domains.

an0n, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  3. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Of the 16,100 directories only 5400 are general directories (34%). Of the general directories, a rough guess would be a quarter are dropped domains. Of those, the majority of them have been in the list for over a year. The list has grown by 4000 directories in the last 6 months, but within that time the number of general directories has stayed about the same.

Many domains were never dropped, but just switched to a directory by their owners. Many of the high powered directories did not start their lives as directories. A question that would be open to debate is "after years have gone by, would a dropped domain still be considered a dropped domain".

CanadianEh, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  4. rai123

rai123 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Agree with all the 2 people replied here. Also now the bloggers links to the directories in their posts by "Use directories lists" "Dofollow directories lists". So the directories are getting links naturally. So its not tough tasks for the directory owners to get some page ranks.

rai123, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  5. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I feel the *real genuine question* here would be:

Would those domains have ever been re-registered and turned into fly by night directories had they never been dropped with pagerank?

an0n, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  6. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    a very interesting discussion in this thread and I see points in both sides.

xc06, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  7. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's just that genuine directory owners put a lot of effort in creating and establishing a directory. From actually "buying" fresh domain, a paid script, designing it..., editing categories etc. And it's just sad to see those directories being listed right next to a bunch of other silly domains with high pagerank. My question is: should we consider a site a directory which is created on a high pr domain that used to be some kind of "enlargement" site or a (dead) real estate company or weight loss site?.(...)Should these domains be "used" to create directories and should unsuspecting customers be lured into buying listings with them?

alistair80, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  8. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think that you are giving submitters enough credit. Most people that will pay for a submission will know by looking at a domain like grandmasoldfashionedpancakes.com and determine that any pagerank probably is not from it being directory. In other words, I don't think these types of directories are taking much money, if any, out of your wallet.

tornado!, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  9. alistair80

Best Answers:
    I am...And I do believe that submitters have their own reason to prefer a directory to another. However, if directory lists are meant to simplify submitters' work and quest for digging out good ones, it'd be appropriate for list-builders to exclude directories that are not really directories...:)

alistair80, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  10. reilly3000

reilly3000 Peon

Best Answers:
    Very interesting breakdown. Google has come out to say that PR doesn't really matter as much as people think in rankings, but it is very interesting to see the distribution.

reilly3000, Feb 13, 2010 IP
  11. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sometime it’s much harder than looking at a domain name, many directories don’t have and have never had a directory related domain.

Dropped domains that are used to deceive people to submit is a big problem, not everyone knows how to check.

It’s nice to see that the older directories are holding out.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  12. EvcRo

EvcRo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What i find it disturbing about your list is the "lower quality directories may get a no follow link"

Forged directories from dropped domains get do follow at your place = quality :D

PR0 but 5 years old 22k alexa 50k indexed pages in google gets no follow at your place = not quality

You may want to fix your definition of "quality"

Otherwise good list, probably the biggest on the net, that's it's only quality i think.

EvcRo, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  13. tidusbg

tidusbg Peon

Best Answers:
    YEAH man thank you. You help me?

tidusbg, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  14. uzair072

uzair072 Active Member

Best Answers:
    hi
    i am from pakistan and pay pal is not allowed in pakistan than please ctell me other way to purchase the PR directories from digital point forum
    i am very interested to purchase the directoris

uzair072, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  15. alistair80

Best Answers:
    Plimus...Accepts Paypal!

alistair80, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  16. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have just completed new PageRank stats from the database of web-directories.ws.

April 20, 2010 PageRank Statistics

[​IMG]

Percentage Change

[​IMG]

The database of 16,000 directories is cleaner than it has been in years. I have just spent the last 2 weeks cleaning up the directories using various automated and manual methods. We just removed over 500 dead or inappropriate websites. The free and article categories were reviewed from top to bottom.

Directories have been doing quite well over the last 2 years. Please visit our blog for more information about the directory PR stats.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
    CanadianEh, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  17. overskyhigh

overskyhigh Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems good.But, are they do-follow or no-follow? Or are the links in javascript?

overskyhigh, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  18. Ric Hayter

Ric Hayter Peon

Best Answers:
    Cache dates of category pages is more important in my experience.

Ric Hayter, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  19. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I noticed something about pagerank, recently i got pr on one of the categories of one of my directories, i happen to visit that category more than any others within my directory, the reason is im always looking to see if any of the sites there have turned into parked domains or anything else other than the sites that they should be.

As i say, i click through to that category all the time to check, but thats me having a look, not especially heavy traffic to that category and it gets a little pr, and i wonder if pr would be awarded to that category for that reason only, which seems wrong if that is the case.

Say if the traffic to a section of a site contributes to that section getting pr buts its not traffic from actual visitors then that would seem wrong.

pipes, Apr 21, 2010 IP
  20. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe traffic does matter where pr is concerned, and google does have adsense to get a good measure of it,.... they do officially deny using adsense or analytics for PR or serps, but i do strongly believe otherwise,

M.

msolution, Apr 21, 2010 IP