1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Charging for 'populating' Creative Commons templates?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Kerosene, Feb 6, 2010.

What's the protocol when charging for adding content to a Creative Commons web template for clients?
    Specifically CC Attribution-Share Alike - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Lets say I want to charge my clients for populating Creative Commons templates for them.
    The client pays me for my services - which include integrating their content into the template, editing and adding their photos, uploading it, DNS config. All original template credits/backlinks are left intact.

This is all OK right?

What (if any) legal notices need to go on my "cheap sites based on Creative Commons templates" page?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
    Kerosene, Feb 6, 2010 IP
  2. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure, but what are you doing? Customizing templates for your clients?

omarabid, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  3. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    The only charge will be for adding my clients' content to the templates ("my services")...
    Any customization to the templates will be done "free of charge", because it's against the terms of the CC license to charge for modifying the templates.

Kerosene, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  4. anna321

anna321 Peon

Best Answers:
    i think it is FTP. but i am not sore, you can take the help of any website.it can solve the problem in few bucks.

anna321, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  5. omarabid

Best Answers:
    FTP? Are you talking about the protocol heh! lol

6. omarabid

Best Answers:
    So, okay charge for it, you are working as a writer, wrong?

7. fm1234

fm1234 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are doing customisations of any kind for a client there is no restrictions under CC guidelines against charging for your work. If you take a CC work, modify it and redistribute it, the derivative work must be released under CC or "similar or compatible" licencing schema.

If I buy a car, and give it to a friend on the condition that he give it to someone else for free when he's done using it, the guy who paints the car in the interim still gets paid for his work. But my friend couldn't move the car on and then change the terms of the agreement because he paid for some changes to be made to the car.

Frank

fm1234, Feb 24, 2010 IP
    Kerosene likes this.
  8. Abhik

Abhik ..:: The ONE ::..

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That license is no way preventing you modify the codes as long as you maintain the author's credits. You can also put your credit under "Modified By" label.

To play safe, you can put a note on your site that you are modifying the codes and redistributing it under the same Creative Commons License keeping the original author's credit.

Abhik, Feb 24, 2010 IP