1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rules Allowed or Not?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by clookid, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Can I reply to my sales thread to let them know that all review copies have been claimed? I don't want to be bugged with further requests. ;)

clookid, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    No. If you make a sales thread you must accept PMs.

Smyrl, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  3. clookid

clookid Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Right, that bit is understood.

But, if everyone thinks that the product is free (how are they going to find out that all offered review copies have been taken?), why do you regard to it as a sales thread?

clookid, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  4. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    It falls under main category of buy, sell, trade.

Plan ahead. If you want to make updates such as how many review copies left use an image in opening post.

Smyrl, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  5. clookid

clookid Notable Member

Best Answers:
    But the thing is - it doesn't. Giving something away is not buying, selling, nor trading. I don't consider review copies to be trades, unless a review has actually been given (which in most cases doesn't seem to happen).

That doesn't sound practical. Why should I have to go to the extra effort?

I consider a threaded conversation no different to an email conversation - I like to keep (potential) customers updated.

clookid, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  6. Pros

Pros Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with the point, not with the way it was presented.

It seems logical that letting people know that the review copies have been claimed is relevant information to the thread. It is the same as if someone asks a question, in order to prevent the same question from being asked over and over again (possibly in PM), the response is publicly stated. This is a similar situation, where in order to prevent the same question from being asked over and over again (possibly in PM), the response is publicly stated. Repeated for emphasis, of how this seems to me to be simply a different context where the same rule would apply.

I'm confused as to Smyrl's response visa vi the rules.

Pros, Jan 22, 2010 IP
    clookid likes this.
  7. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you choose to offer review copies (which is about a benefit for you -- getting reviews to help you ultimately make more sales), then you have to put up with the PMs. You may not post just to say there are no more reviews any more than you could post to update how many of anything else are left. If you don't want to deal with the PM issue, don't offer review copies.

Remember to review stickies in any section where you choose to post. This issue is very old news. See the thread below.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=380173

jhmattern, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  8. clookid

clookid Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Surely you don't have a rule for the sake of having a rule. Is there no justification behind this?

It would be in the interest of both the buying/selling parties to be kept well informed of what is and what isn't still available.

clookid, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  9. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    It's NOT in the interest of everyone else, most of which don't give a shit if review copies are still available or not...DON'T post crap for which no one else is concerned.

TikTok, Jan 22, 2010 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.