1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

10 simple ways to get backlinks to your site

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Mr Right, Dec 22, 2009.

Hey Digital Point members!

I noticed that many of you guys that are just starting in the SEO field are looking for simple but effective ways to get backlinks to your sites, so I figured out I could help with some of my infinite wisdom:D Here are 10 simple and FREE ways to get quality backlinks to your site:

- Run a good survey on a raunchy or news worthy subject (...Tiger Woods anyone?). Surveys are a great source of backlinks and word of mouth publicity.

- Join Google groups related to your niche and participate on them. Google just loves itself, so you know that links from Google related sites can't be bad for your PR...

- Use press releases. Make sure they are professionally written and submit them to relevant news release distribution services such as PRnewswire, Businesswire or PRWeb. Make sure your press release title is eye catching and/or strange and funny. You just never know who could pick it up...

- Try the brown nosing approach:D Publish a list of some of the top gurus in you field and hope that they will stumble across your site and love it enough to swap links with you.

- Use social bookmarking sites to check out what type of articles are getting the most attention, and try to write something similar. Lists usually get a lot of attention because they are simple and straight to the point. I actually love good lists because you don't have to go through all the clutter of a regular article to find 2 or 3 pieces of good information...

- Create a list of some of your favorite articles on a social bookmarking site like Digg. That way, people with similar interests will go back to your site to learn more about you.

- Write content people can relate to. Try to connect with your audience with simple but straight to the point articles and/or posts. Don't oversell and talk to your audience like you would talk to any of your friends. This way, your readers will develop a close relationship with you. Some people think of articles as a bundle of keywords created to fool search engines, but they forget that actual people are reading them... If people don't like your articles, you get no visits, simple as that...

- There are some sites that Google just love. Two of them are ezinearticles, which is an article directory, and DMOZ, a human-edited directory that is actually owned by Google. Since both of these directories use humans to filter content, spinned or obvious sales pitchs won't do, so you'll have to make sure your articles and websites are up to par and relevant before even trying to get indexed in DMOZ or having your articles published on ezinearticles.com.

But the most important backlink building strategies in my view are:

Write good stuff

Get backlinks from relevant sites

Sometimes, when it comes to getting backlinks from sites you like, all you gotta do is ask. Yes, a phone call will often be enough to create a solid relationship with someone else in your field and exchange links. You can also email publishers with sites with a connection to yours or simply write them a letter asking them for a link exchange. You would be surprised at how well that can work...

And try to make friends with people on Digital point, I'm sure some of them will be more than interested to swap links with you...

Anyways, I hope this article helped and remember, quality over quantity is the key! Good luck to all you guys and see you around the boards!

Sincerely
    Mr Right

Mr Right, Dec 22, 2009 IP
    Peter76 likes this.
  2. KeywordFairy

KeywordFairy Peon

Best Answers:
    I couldn't agree with you more on these two points. Nice list. You have a couple of methods I haven't heard of.

KeywordFairy, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  3. rashida

rashida Active Member

Best Answers:
    Article Marketing is also a good way to get the backlinks.

rashida, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  4. georgytank

georgytank Peon

Best Answers:
    google groups are of no use.
    Please check any link you put there is put as NOFOLLOW

georgytank, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  5. Aquarezz

Aquarezz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Correct. The best way to get a good amount of backlinks and targetted traffic are forums though IMO. It always helped the best for me ;)

- Aquarezz

Aquarezz, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  6. gothic love

gothic love Peon

Best Answers:
    writting good stuff is the best advice, however from what i see it article directories the articles looks like mixed nonsense and they are there only for the links.

gothic love, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  7. herwin

herwin Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you, content and backlinks are defenitely the most important things for your website.

herwin, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  8. AirForce1

AirForce1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think blogging, forum signature and social bookmarking are top 3 channels for building backlinks. ;)

Have a nice day,

AirForce1, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  9. georgytank

georgytank Peon

Best Answers:
    regarding social bookmarking.. do we have to create ids in every bookmarking service?? and create friends?? or what to do ?? how can it bring good traffic?

10. eric_wahlberg

eric_wahlberg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Ezine article and press release really help in improving website ranking.

I have observed that there is sudden jump in search engine ranking when your article is published in ezine or your press release published.

eric_wahlberg, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  11. georgytank

georgytank Peon

Best Answers:
    Is it appropriate to put 5 articles each day in different article directories??

12. cjshu

cjshu Peon

Best Answers:
    Post on "dofollow" forums (like this one),
    Use "dofollow" social bookmarking sites (folkd.com, etc.)
    Comment on "dofollow" blog posts

cjshu, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  13. DASHBOY

DASHBOY Guest

Best Answers:
    Ya, I do agree with those helpful 10 tips. However, always we have to make sure that we do get links from quality source - That is the key factor.

I think you can add, "dofollow blog comments", "social bookmarks", "profile links" to this list. Isn't? :)

DASHBOY, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  14. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good sharing. Thanks.

Classified ads is another. Although wont worth much because of the ad expire nature.

webcosmo, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  15. 1SEONewby

1SEONewby Peon

Best Answers:
    This list is great! I especially like the idea of a topical survey. Thanks so much for posting!

1SEONewby, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  16. jani01

jani01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    good effort. I must say thanks for this. However, I am also not agree with regard to google groups.

jani01, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  17. bzhang

bzhang Peon

Best Answers:
    great post! Although most of the mentioned tactics are in a form of article writing/publishing, it is probably the most effective ways to get quality backlinks.

bzhang, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  18. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    Write ablog about your sites topic and link back to it. Submit feed to directories.

rcj662, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  19. fr@nc!z

fr@nc!z Active Member

Best Answers:
    For me, Press Release, Social Bookmarking, and Google Groups are more on traffic driving rather than being a backlink.

fr@nc!z, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  20. lahuta

lahuta Peon

Best Answers:
    I think forum signature, social bookmark and Directory. Its all good for finding Backlinks....

lahuta, Dec 22, 2009 IP