1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bought online license, never recieved it the person is gone.

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by psilocybin, Dec 20, 2009.

Hello, I was hoping someone could give some advice on what I should do or if I can even do anything about it.

On December 13, 2009 I purchased a vBulletin license from a member here, http://forums.digitalpoint.com/member.php?u=308422

I have PM'd him back and forth, with him reassuring me everything was going through. Then, on the 15th after I asked for some sort of proof that the license is being transferred or a refund, his PM's were turned off because his signature stated he was out of town so use email only. So I emailed him at the address he put in his signature, got a response that I will get a full refund if it's not transferred. Well, today I decided to email him and see what was going on to find out that his email address was no more. I tried the email address I sent the paypal payment too, that is also gone.

I have filed a dispute with paypal and gave negative itrader points. I also have all the copies of Pm's and emails between us, as well as a link he provided to download a nulled version of vBulletin from his license with him admitting to nulling it. My next action will be to show vbulletin this info and have his license revoked.

Is there anything I can do or am I just out the money?

psilocybin, Dec 20, 2009 IP
  2. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    You won't get anything from PAyPal. And you have gone as far as you can go without serving DP a subpeona for info on the guy. Next time, don't buy things from anyone unless it's from a reputable place, such as actually from vBulletin.

hostlonestar, Dec 20, 2009 IP
  3. psilocybin

psilocybin Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I figured he was reputable since I talked to one person who bought a license from him earlier.

My mistake. :(

psilocybin, Dec 20, 2009 IP
  4. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
  5. MBS

MBS Peon

Best Answers:
    Idk what you said for dispute, but could always try saying he was supposed to ship something to you, but if you told them it was digital already, sucks for you.

MBS, Dec 20, 2009 IP
  6. Datona

Datona Banned

Best Answers:
    Should be interesting to see if he replies to the PayPal dispute you filed.
    He won't reply on the forum but will he then reply to the dispute?
    It will be tough to get your money back on intangable merchandise but it can be done through persistance and backing up your story with Paypal. Seen it happen before. Just don't give up

Datona, Dec 20, 2009 IP
  7. psilocybin

psilocybin Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I have all the pm's, emails and a screenshot with his name showing the vBulletin license in a message.

psilocybin, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  8. Imbo

Imbo Member

Best Answers:
    The best recourse you have now, would be to contact your credit card company/financial institution and attempt to do a chargeback. More than likely if you can show proof that the seller did not send the item, you will win.

As mentioned earlier, paypal automatically sides with the buyer since it's a digital item. However, if you do a chargeback and win, they will have no choice. And they will attempt to debit the customer. Either way you will receive your money back, and it's paypal's problem recouping the money at that point.

Imbo, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  9. papsyface

papsyface Peon

Best Answers:
    That's awful advice.

That would not only make all of his proof useless, but it'd also pretty much guarantee him losing the dispute.

There's no reason to lie, and you're gonna hurt things much more than you're gonna help them by doing so.

papsyface, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  10. psilocybin

psilocybin Peon

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, I paid it with paypal and not a card.

11. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    did you use a card linked to paypal? If so you can still do the chargeback. If not, go into your bank and see what they say about getting the money back.

hostlonestar, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  12. Imbo

Imbo Member

Best Answers:
    Yes unfortunatly if you paid from your paypal balance, you are at the mercy of Paypal's policy. And their policy is: they will not refund items that are digital purchases upon review.

The only way you may get them to alter this policy, would be to contact them via phone and speak with an actual human to see if they could do anything for you.

Imbo, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  13. psilocybin

psilocybin Peon

Best Answers:
    I do have a card linked to my paypal. The total was $85.00 and I had $73 and change in my paypal, the rest came out of my bank acct.

14. Imbo

Imbo Member

Best Answers:
    Well then you could attempt to do a chargeback from your bank account for the $12 and change. However, they will make you fill out a 10 page pamplet describing the "fraudulent" charges, so it's probably not worth it.

Imbo, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  15. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You already did what u can from Paypal and DP, nothing much to do else.

Ibn Juferi, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  16. psilocybin

psilocybin Peon

Best Answers:
    Paypal is now waiting to hear back from the person to hear their side. If there is no response, they will give the money back to me.

I am hoping since the email used for his paypal is no longer active, that he won't get the messages from paypal and I will be refunded. Either way, I have all the proof I need. Now I just have to wait....9 more days.

psilocybin, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  17. Imbo

Imbo Member

Best Answers:
    Hopefully everything works out for you and your money is refunded. In the future, for deals such as this one, I would HIGHLY recommend paying with a credit card (preferably not a debit) so that you can dispute the charges.

In your case, you are not out of the woods yet. What tends to occur a lot is Paypal will decide in your favor, however the funds will not be in the sellers account, so they won't be able to refund your payment. Hopefully this is not the case with your recent purchase, however given the fact that he canceled his email accounts. I would not be surprised if he withdrew the money from Paypal or used it to purchase something else online and ran.

Imbo, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  18. Travis

Travis Peon

Best Answers:
    If he truly did run away, then there is a pretty good chance that his PayPal account was drained of the money. If that is the case (it used to be) PayPal's policy is to set his account negative, and he will have to bring it back up to 0, until he does (and assuming he did run away) that is highly unlikely...and you won't receive your money. I don't think they take the loss. I could be wrong though. Depends on if he cleared them out or not.

Travis, Dec 22, 2009 IP
  19. Cal813

Cal813 Active Member

Best Answers:
    are you the same guy from vbteam.info

if so... i guess it's a good thing if your buying a license like the rest of us... that is unless your going to pirate it and share with others.. and I hope not.

Cal813, Dec 23, 2009 IP
  20. psilocybin

psilocybin Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol, I see who vbteam is and no, that is not me. Must be another fan of mushrooms. ;)

psilocybin, Dec 24, 2009 IP