1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

When does the 1000 queries per license key "reset"

Discussion in 'Google API' started by hulkster, Mar 23, 2004.

The Google API key allows you 1,000 queries/day - I was kinda curious what exactly a "day" is - i.e. does it reset every 24 hours (and when is that?) or is a "rolling limit" where it keeps track of when you made 'em, which would be more complicated to program/track.

There was some misc. discussion about this topic in another thead in this forum, but I thought I would start a new thread summerizing my findings so this is easier to find for the next person that is interested in this piece of trivia.

Using a keyword tracker of my own (not as rockin' as Shawn's keyword tracker), I ran a buncha queries last night just before 2100 MST (0400 GMT) and exhausted it. I tried again this morning (thinking maybe the reset time was midnight Pacific time) and it still failed. I then fired it back up at 1820 MST (0120 GMT) and it still failed ... so I'm thinking "darn, looking like a 'rolling' reset, so this will take a slight bit more work to confirm".

But just for grins, I fired it back up at 1930 MST (0230 GMT) ... and it WORKED ... I was able to do a full 1,000 queries before it ran outa mojo again.

So .... this suggests the "key reset time" is between 0120 and 0230 GMT. Assuming this is handled via a cronjob that uses localtime, there may be an hour movement when daylight savings comes.

If I get motivated, I might try a test in the next week or so where I use up all the keys just before 0100 GMT and then see if I can do another 1,000 queries after 0230 to confirm my theory.

alek

P.S. If anyone from Google happens to read this, it would be really cool if you could do a "crontab -l" or whatever and let me know if I'm right ... or all wet! ;-)

hulkster, Mar 23, 2004 IP
  2. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    I've found it to be 08.00 GMT which is Midnight+ in Pacific time

So I hang around twiddling here until 8am!
    :D

Foxy, Mar 24, 2004 IP
  3. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    I finally had a chance to do some more testing in the last 24 hours and I got some conflicting data/results - will do some more testing after my month-end keyword processing and see if I can determine a trend/pattern.

alek

hulkster, Mar 30, 2004 IP
  4. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess I started this thread, and would like to be able to "finish" it, but the data I have gotten again seems a bit inconsistant again, so I don't know the definitive answer to this trivia question.

Using a "good" Google API key, I would do API queries until the key no longer worked (and while I didn't have an exact counter, it was right around a 1,000 each time, so I was starting "fresh"). I would then try to use the key at various other times, and it would either FAIL right off the bat, or work fine ... until I used up another 1,000 queries. All times below are MDT which is GMT-6 and these were sequential days. Here's my data:
    I thought this would be a fairly straightforward task - i.e. there was "some" time when the key was reset - either a fixed time or a "rolling" time based on the last time the queries were used ... but I could not determine a pattern ... except to say possibly the "reset time" (assuming that exists and is fixed) exists between 2106-2253MDT (0306-0453GMT) ... but this isn't consistant with the data from my first post.

I doubt people are staying awake at night worrying about this, but that's my data! ;-)

alek

hulkster, Apr 10, 2004 IP
  5. rustybrick

rustybrick User ID 3

Best Answers:
    Good to know, thank you for sharing.

rustybrick, Apr 11, 2004 IP
  6. novasoft

novasoft Peon

Best Answers:
    novasoft, Apr 20, 2004 IP
  7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm just curious, why does it matter so much when it resets? surely it doesn't make that big of a difference at the end of the day?

disgust, Jun 3, 2004 IP
  8. murph

murph Peon

Best Answers:
    Any conclusion on when this resets?

Also, would it be ok for my friend who also uses my script to use his api own api after my one runs out, or beause it's the same server IP would get GG upset?

murph, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  9. katulago

katulago Peon

Best Answers:
    Is it possible to use multiple keys e.g. using the next API key when the first 1000 queries are made? Or does google ckeck the IP?

katulago, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  10. murph

murph Peon

Best Answers:
    Well they say you can't have more than one API key, so no you wouldn't be allowed. I was wondering if a group of you got together and each individual applied for the API key (which is within our rights to do so), what would be the situation of the keys being used from the same site or IP.

EDIT: sorry just re-read you post! Basically you're asking the same as me :)

murph, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  11. GeoffreyF67

GeoffreyF67 Guest

Best Answers:
    I prefer the way that MSN does their API...5000 requests tracked by IP. Nice and straightforward.

G-Man

GeoffreyF67, Nov 1, 2006 IP