1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Extremely large webhosting space required.

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by facebook, Oct 6, 2009.

We have a requirement of a extremely large data store to store millions of images(pictures of different places in this world), millions of profiles, statistics, user preferences etc. Preferably one host per location.
    This is for a framework we have build with which we will be able to create/manage millions of websites very very easily, the framework also allows us to create facebook applications and to let us enable facebook connect and other api's on these websites.
    The project will let us demonstrate a search engine system using which people can find literally anything on this planet (easily)... and that too in real time...
    The system will be developed as we proceed.
    We were testing this on servage but could not continue due to its unreliability.
    I will not explain anything much about the code right now or about how we propose the ranking also and how we propose the marketing and promotion of the website.
    The host will only have to provide us space to mysql records and image files required for this... This images are of high resolution and take atleast 4MB each.

The space requirement will grow in time...
    There are 2 ways the host can get paid off...
    1) Through advertising revenues earned through the (potentially) millions of networked websites that we will create for users. These users will also be working on these websites plus they will appoint people from their office to promote this.
    2) Link on every page that we carry the image/s.

Thanks for helping us build
    Regards

facebook, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  2. WebsitePlex

WebsitePlex Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I may be interested in providing you a dedicated server. Do you have any Idea of the hard drive space you will need?

WebsitePlex, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  3. lowem

lowem Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You could try cloud computing with Amazon S3.
    Twitter uses it to host millions of images.

lowem, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  4. facebook

facebook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Each image itself is around 4-5 MB... Those images are very cool and i am sure you can use them too. As long as you maintain the copyright agreement of the original supplier. I have images for literally every place in this world... These should run to probably 4-5 Terrabytes.

facebook, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  5. szczypka

szczypka Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Wat is your budget

szczypka, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  6. vivithemage

vivithemage Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    If you read his post :

He's going to offer ad space.

vivithemage, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  7. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    As a host, I know I wouldn't put up a server for "future revenue". Those servers cost money out of my pocket from day one. And if you're talking about "millions of images and users", that just makes me more certain not to.

What's going to happen if three months down the line you falter, go bankrupt, get sued for copyright, get run over by a near sighted grandmother, decide that you;re not up to the task, or one of a thousand other situations?

What you need to do is develop a business plan and incorporate if you haven't done so already. Then go out and find some VC funding. Maybe watching an episode or two of Shark Tank would be helpful as well. (edit: I point that out as I see folks like you all the time on that show. Gimme now and maybe you'll earn it back in the future.)

edit: And hire legal representation as Facebook is one of those internet companies who protect their trademarks and access and have been known to block someone on a moment's notice without any recourse.

I have clients who trade hosting for advert revenue. Some of them make me back what they would pay for hosting. 90% of then do not though and I would make more if they paid me their monthly fee. Breaks even in the long run though.

theapparatus, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  8. facebook

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I am not talking about revenue from the future... I am talking about revenues from day one...

I wont falter cos this has been everything for me in my life... I have taken years to research and build it till here... I have been sustaining this so far and there is no way I will go bankrupt cos in my business plan i have no over heads.

I am not talking future my friend... I am talking present... It will take little time to set things up... But money starts from day 1...

And thats how they run their companies.. :) without recourse of-course. If you are referring to the username i choose... Sorry... I didnt know of facebook.com till I searched on google today... ;-)

Everyone???

facebook, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  9. vivithemage

vivithemage Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    vivithemage, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  10. facebook

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com is just a travel website... this is much more than that... The pictures are a part of the full project... The site will definitely give users info on places but much more than lonelyplanet... :)

facebook, Oct 7, 2009 IP
  11. Asako

Asako Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Send your full marketing plan (branding,targeted user, etc) / deployment / server type (eg load balanced server/amazon s3/cdn if needed* )/ as well as estimated income/mo and I might give a head start and after you already achieve your goal and I get my investment back you can surely survive after that don't you? So you will be able to paid for (only for the server cost etc) later on.

Also please please include a copy of you ID, Driving License as well as you address & contact number to:

asako[at]sparkgate.net

Asako, Oct 7, 2009 IP
  12. nicholashudson

nicholashudson Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    PM Me with full plans, we have servers lying with us.. if it suits us, we are happy with the deal..
    Thanks..

nicholashudson, Oct 8, 2009 IP
  13. facebook

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Currently I just need the space to store my images, image details and user preferences... I am building it step by step... Growing as we make money... these pictures have a lot of other things attached to it. The website that will host this will be connected with twitter and facebook user in such a way that these users will use this site very often and stick to it too... Lots of features will be added as I go along.. The website is currently on and since I have build a frame work for this which also enables me to run websites. These website are also connected to facebook and will carry all the features that they want... Like a user pre-connected website...
    There will be a another website build (have to think of a name) parallel for each customer depending on the targeted keywords (its not a directory, forum, blog - but a site very unique in itself... keyword rich and with the potential of getting a lot of backlinks and unique+repeat visitors directly and through search engines).
    These sites can also be sold separately to users... I can build more than 100 websites like this in a day (and more as we grow)... These are not spammy websites and will have live unique content from our users and from twitter and facebook. and from other live sources...
    Since the concept is viral in nature... Every thing that goes out give us the right kind of people connected to us...
    I have a few friends who will help me with this. Plus I also own a few groups on fb etc... I am a very experiences web developer and am aware of a lot of things around on the internet. Plus have a broad skillset required for this (php,facebook apps,twitter apps,css,photoshop,coreldraw,ajax,javascript) and i am also aware of web marketing technologies and search engine rankings etc.
    I have the backend but do not want to show everything in the front yet...
    I have setup 1 module and it works quite well...
    There is a lot to come in this... I am in the urgency of continuing my work and my webspace is fast filling up.. even though i have limited the data fetching...

facebook, Oct 10, 2009 IP
  14. facebook

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I can also span the data accross different webhosts and letting then time share the ad revenues earned though all the pages where the pictures stores on their system are used... You can decide on a percentage of time and the time of the day.

facebook, Oct 10, 2009 IP
  15. matessim

matessim Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    your saying alot, you can promise you will not falter whatever but like he said, theres no garuntee, im having hard time beliving any host with his dedicated server 4-5TB will agree to this, this is a money upfront buisness, day one or not.

matessim, Oct 10, 2009 IP
  16. facebook

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    fine... if not dedicated... i can also do with shared ip... as long as i can store the files... i will not require al the space at first... I can set my script to fetch data slower... We can start storing the high res images later...

Anyone interested?

facebook, Oct 11, 2009 IP
  17. Asako

Asako Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Any specific server location requirement? How about a VPS for starting.

Asako, Oct 12, 2009 IP
  18. facebook

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    No problem... As long as I can host the files, and that users can download this files quickly...

I am attaching 10 sample thumbnails and 10 sample medium resolution images, which I need for a start... Each page will have roughly 20-25 pictures...

I have plans of promoting it on facebook and twitter... Its already working for me as far as the users are concerned, but I dont want to get caught up with server problems...

Thanks for the response...
    My work is kind of blocked because of this issue...:-(

facebook, Oct 15, 2009 IP