1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Want To Be A Blogger? Follow These 5 Steps

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by jjwright85, Oct 1, 2009.

I noticed a lot of people come here asking how to become a blogger. More importantly, how to go about becoming a successful one. So I thought I would share a few tips that I've personally used to build my blogs.

First off, it's true that there are ways of making quick money with blogging. But if you want to become a legitimate blogger, I recommend doing the following things to get started:

1. Start A Real Blog

In other words, don't build a blog that has adsense built in to the navigation bar or tons of crazy looking ad blocks covering up the actual content of your blog. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of room for advertisements. But don't make them the main focus, especially not in the beginning. As far as platform goes, choose whatever works for you. I'm an avid user of WordPress but there's plenty of options available.

2. Write Some High Quality Content

If you really want to see some great results, produce some great content. Have something your passionate about? Make it the topic of your blog. Regardless of the topic, make sure you're actually willing to put in the time to do research and produce content on a consistent basis. If you can't think of more than a couple blog posts off the top of your head, you're probably going to get the dreaded writers block sooner than later.

3. Go Out An Find Your Readers

When you first start your blog, it's going to be a really quiet place to hang out. It took me months before I was even able to get a few comments on my first blog. So the key is to go out and find your readers. Find blogs and start leaving comments. And by no means leave short or non-relevant spam comments. Instead, go out and find blogs related to yours and leave legitimate comments. If you leave some quality feedback, you're more than likely going to get a few bloggers to visit your site. Set a goal on how many comments you want to leave each day and stick to it.

4. Write For Other Blogs

Believe it or not, one of the best ways to build your own blog is by writing for other blogs. Why? Because a lot of bloggers who accept guest posts are more than willing to let you put a short bio (with a link) in the article. That way you're reaching out to a completely new audience that will more than likely want to read more about you. Plus it's a great way to start building backlinks to your website.

5. Utilize Social Media

One of the quickest ways to start sharing your content is by utilizing social media. However, the last thing you want to do is start submitting every one of your blog posts to 900 different social networks. Instead, become active in a few networks and take the time to interact with people. Build a small community and before you know it you'll have people sharing your content for you.

6. Wash, Rinse, and Repeat Steps Two Through Four

From this point on, make it habit to repeat steps two through four. Keep producing content on a regular basis, as well as writing for other blogs. Leave tons of comments on other blogs and stay active in a handful of social networks.

If you stick to these steps, you can build a successful blog without spending a dime. Best of all, you'll be building a legitimate blog that will only grow as time moves on. It may take some time, but you will look back in a year (or two or three) and be stoked at the progress you made. Just remember, building the blog is the fun part. It's no fun if you start out on top ;)

Wish you the best of luck!

--
    PS. It's 4 something in the AM so I apologize in advance for any horrible grammar or spelling errors...

jjwright85, Oct 1, 2009 IP
  2. ExpandHosting

ExpandHosting Peon

Best Answers:
    That is some sound advice but it always sounds easier than it really is.

ExpandHosting, Oct 1, 2009 IP
  3. technista

technista Guest

Best Answers:
    Good tips, but commenting on other blogs in the same niche can be just as effective. Also you should aim to be active in communities that cover your niche.

technista, Oct 1, 2009 IP
  4. jjwright85

jjwright85 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, if you can find communities that cover your niche it's perfect. Forums, groups, etc. And don't forget about OFFLINE options like meetups, seminars, etc. It's amazing how handing out a business card can actually help drive traffic to your blog (if it's on there, which it should be!)

jjwright85, Oct 1, 2009 IP
  5. technista

technista Guest

Best Answers:
    I just wonder how often those people lose those cards! And also include a link at the end of each email.

technista, Oct 1, 2009 IP