1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The ONLY web directories you should submit your sites to

Discussion in 'Directories' started by blue555, Sep 8, 2009.

After years of fuss and loss of value to most web directories, and much personal research of my competitors success, I've concluded the only directories worth submitting your website to are the following:

- Yahoo directory
    - DMOZ directory
    - Best of the Web directory

It's not that random sites like Joe's directory are bad for your site, but its not going to give you much credit on Google as an editorial decision. It's just going to act as a general linkback without much relevance or authority.

If any SEO geniuses have a few other directories they'd like to add to my list, please post a reply, as I'm darn curious.

blue555, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  2. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Can you tell us more about your research?

Please keep in mind information you picked up from Public Washroom walls doesn't count.

;)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  3. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Without any evidence to backup such claims, and contrary to my own personal results, I have to admit that it appears you have tunnel vision. But atleast your opinion is not fully formed as you would not be seeking out additional resources.

Much of the "credit on Google" you speak of does not exist not because a directory is weak or not trusted by Google. The fact is that so many people submit the same link title, description, etc. to hundreds or thousands of directories. The relevancy of a link, as far as SEO goes, is largely dependent on what appears on the category or link detail page. Poorly written link titles, descriptions, etc., generate poor results on even the strongest of directories.

If you really want a more detailed opinion, PM me and I can show you some real life examples of what a good submission set (link title, description, etc) can do for you. The proof is in the pudding so to speak.

snowbird, Sep 8, 2009 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  4. Luxuria

Luxuria Peon

Best Answers:
    Why don't you focus your energy on something you're passionate about instead of ranting how fantastic the antique directories A B and C are and how apparently your directory didn't live up to your expectations. You claim that your competitors succeeded, so I can safely conclude that you're just bitter and need this thread to blow off some steam.

Luxuria, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So you haven't paid for your own sites to be listed in yahoo or botw i imagine?

pipes, Sep 9, 2009 IP
    fastreplies likes this.
  6. AMac08

AMac08 Peon

Best Answers:
    I can see why you feel this might be the case.

I have often been frustrated and have struggled with directory submission, it is one of the most boring parts of SEO, but its so necessary. I have always seen an increase in traffic though after getting a significant amount of backlinks from directories as well as other sources.

I would however be really keen to learn about some of the more quality and authoritative directories. Can anyone else add some good directories to go on top of the list the OP provided? I am always keen to find new resources.

AMac08, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  7. wa2nlinux

wa2nlinux Peon

Best Answers:
    Need more explanation for that "research", what about spt or GoGuides ?

wa2nlinux, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  8. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Submitting your site to only three directories is not going to help you in SEO.

Ibn Juferi, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  9. ahayiroglu

ahayiroglu Peon

Best Answers:
    Directory submission still works. Linkbacks are important as editorial google reviews. And quality title and description give good results.

ahayiroglu, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  10. STATBD

STATBD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am sorry to say that I am not agree with you. Man

STATBD, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  11. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    the directories you mentioned are popular and well-known,
    but it's quite not enough for just submit to 3 directories only.

WallaceYeung, Sep 9, 2009 IP
    Ibn Juferi and fastreplies like this.
  12. redspan

redspan Member

Best Answers:
    So does anyone have a definitive list of directories, or at least one they would submit a new site to as a bare minimum?

I occasional see posts about 3 or 103 directories that are a must but no one seems to agree on this, but one thing I do see is people responding with the claim that submitting to the wrong directories can be counter productive.

Given how laborious the task is we'd all like our efforts to bring rewards. Time is precious. Which ones do you submit to without a second thought?

redspan, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  13. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    You're apparently confused about role of SEO and for that reason, you're asking wrong people, wrong question.

SEO is not about submitting sites to directories, it's about building Search Engines FRIENDLY sites.

Can you see the difference?

;)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Sep 9, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  14. anguspm

anguspm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Would you want someone to give you a definitive list of sites that every website should exchnage links with? - The answer should be no.

The same is true of directories that "must be submitted to". Heres a couple of examples:

1, Is your site an antiques shop? Then search out antiques directories, shopping directories and collectables directories. Even better if you can get those directories focussed on your country ie .com, .co.uk or .in depending on your location.

2, Your site is about a hotel. You search out and submit to hotel directories, travel directories, country or region focussed directories etc..

Have you got what I'm coming from? The value is in the niche directories just as link exchanges should be with sites that are relative.

Now in both cases its still worth submitting to general directories: IF the page where your link is going to be located has high traffic or PR.

Finally,

Man do I get peeved with people that think building a website and effectively promoting and marketing it is quick and easy with "one size fits all solutions". If you don't put the effort in its going to show in everything about the site incluiding its graphics, content and finally its usefullness to visitors! Do things right and things will snowball as the site will be promoted gladly by its visitors.
    Rant over:mad:

anguspm, Sep 9, 2009 IP
  15. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if someone has a list of good directories (specially those with lower prices) they most likely will not share it in public forums

Nima, Sep 10, 2009 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  16. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    That's all depends on what you call good

If you want to know what good directory should looks like, then check this blog
    http://www.amray.com/blog/?p=1

If your good is hunt after PR, then it doesn't matter because everything will do

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  17. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is a list you might find useful...:)

alistair80, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  18. revenue

revenue Peon

Best Answers:
    Dmoz is one of the most respected web Directory, but it realy hard to get our site there, I think they are only adding the most unique site only

revenue, Sep 10, 2009 IP
  19. christyzen

christyzen Peon

Best Answers:
    Still are you rely on DMOZ? If they are good , they dont get our site listed soon.

christyzen, Sep 11, 2009 IP
  20. romburak

romburak Peon

Best Answers:
    I have searched DMOZ for number of categories and the web sites there a neither unique no the top web sites nowadays. I wouldn't care about them so much.

romburak, Sep 11, 2009 IP