1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A question on a particular, well, I don't know what is it called

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by tayiper, Sep 27, 2006.

OK, I surely know why & stands for & (or should I rather say "replaces" it when the code is rendered), i.e. stands for an ampersand character ...

/UPDATE: Oh, are these maybe called "entities", at least I think I remember hearing/readin that term.

But then I started to think; what about © for ©, and " for " chars?? I mean, if there is no way to display an ampersand without using the entity, this is certainly not true for these ones.

thanks, tayiper

tayiper, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  2. penagate

penagate Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi,

You can display any character using a character reference: &#dec; or &#xhex; specifying the character code.

The named entities are used for particular characters. However a few browsers (Safari in particular, although I am not sure if this is still true) don't understand all of them. So © is safer than © as it is more likely to be understood.

SGML (and XML by derivation) language applications can specify their own named character entities.

" is useful for inserting double quote marks into an attribute value, for example:
    <element attribute="value, &quot;quoted text&quot;" />
    Code (markup):
    If you have used C-based programming languages you will be familiar with escape sequences in strings; you can liken these principles.

Hope that helps you.

- P

penagate, Sep 27, 2006 IP
    tayiper likes this.