1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo! stock plummets as CEO says ad sales are slowing

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by alexplank, Sep 19, 2006.

TechCrunch reports:
    I think we shouldn't worry too much about one advertiser not getting enough advertising deals. On a whole, it seems like the industry is still expanding.

alexplank, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  2. Robert Allen

Robert Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    Technically, good news. We need to bring some of these companys down to size.

Robert

Robert Allen, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  3. alexplank

alexplank Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting take. Do you mean to say that bringing "these companies down to size" is good because it will help to prevent another bubble? Or do yo think this will benefit publishers and advertisers by forcing the big companies to treat them more fairly?

alexplank, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  4. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    Temporary slump, IMO, because the economy is slowing. X-Mas season will be here before you know it, which should help many ad categories.

Here's a snippet from today's Wall Street Journal:

Y! getting scooped up by M$? I don't think so. Y! is still a powerhouse, IMO.

www.AmCy.org, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  5. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The stock is near its two year lows and doesn't look rosy.

[​IMG]

As a company, it is not as innovative as Google and has failed to come up with anything exciting in the recent years. The search engine and YPN also need a lot of improvements. I don't see much growth for Yahoo in the coming years if things continue as they are right now.

sachin410, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  6. Arizona Web Design

Arizona Web Design Guest

Best Answers:
    Their site / network still has the most traffic on the web. They're also buying up some cool "2.0" sites such as flickr and del.icio.us, and launching popular products like Yahoo! Answers.

These strategies should help keep them ahead of the social web, which is obviously on a huge growth pattern (think MySpace, FaceBook, etc etc).

The web is changing, and Yahoo! tends to be right there in the mix... consistently. Slowing ad sales is probably more a result of the poor traffic (social traffic and people who frequent sticky and / or fun sites tend to convert poorly).

Either way, I wouldn't worry about Yahoo! If worse comes to worse, as a company they are going to have to deal with ONLY being profitable in the hundreds of millions. That's not a bad fate if you ask me.

The web continues to grow, sometimes faster than other times, and sometimes it seems like it pulls back (think bubble) but it never stopped growing. I think it's only the outside fringes like VCs and start ups that really get creamed when the growth slows for a few months or years to a more reasonable pace. The big 3 or 4 (if you count ask) will be fine for some time.

Arizona Web Design, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  7. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The market was down today. It was a real bad day. Yahoo wasn't the only company that was hit. I think it'll go back up a bit tomorrow.

ablaye, Sep 19, 2006 IP